PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen Finally Admits Rush to Publish Deflategate Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big FU to Mort and his ******** reporting of this incident..

Equally complicit are all of the media outlets who chose to follow along instead of doing their own reporting, seems to be a trend among many of the modern day mediots.. do not think just sensationalize.

Mort was the catalyst for much of the subsequent hysteria, but those who jumped on this bandwagon are equally responsible..
I think the amazing thing is that people think this stuff is new. It isn't. Reporting has been slanted and based on half understood facts since the days of the first printing presses.

What's new these days is that the lazy, feckless journos going out of their way to not do the job they're being paid to do are actually getting caught, because it's easier for people hurt by bad journalism to call the journos out for their bad coverage.

This is a big problem with the media as a whole in 2017.

I agree with you Kontra with one correction: this is a problem that's gotten even bigger in 2017. The rush to be first -- damn the truth -- is in no way unique to 2017. This has been building up for years.
If the media rush to truth is the equivalent of a rock concert, 2017 is simply the equivalent of the big Neil Peart drum solo.

So to summarize, Mort admits his report was wrong, but in his mind it is okay because somebody (who is not his employer) told him to write a story a certain way.

That makes about as much sense as a judge saying that the sentence he handed out to an innocent victim was wrong (but only admitting as much now that the facts in the case have been made public), yet that sentence was okay since the actual felon whose false testimony was crucial wrote the verdict for him.

And we are supposed to sympathize because others have pointed out his error, causing him to be embarrassed? And also forgive based on his twisted logic? Huh?

I agree with you Kontra with one correction: this is a problem that's gotten even bigger in 2017. The rush to be first -- damn the truth -- is in no way unique to 2017. This has been building up for years.
If the media rush to truth is the equivalent of a rock concert, 2017 is simply the equivalent of the big Neil Peart drum solo.

It's been going on for long enough that in the 18th century there was a saying about lies flying to the corners of the earth before the truth could get its boots on.

But I did a research project about the spread of lies in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the truth, if it ever came to light, received very little coverage compared to the lie. If you want your story to be the "orthodox" version of the tale, tell it first and tell it wide. The NFL used a seemingly willing Mortensen to do exactly that.

It's been going on for long enough that in the 18th century there was a saying about lies flying to the corners of the earth before the truth could get its boots on.

But I did a research project about the spread of lies in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the truth, if it ever came to light, received very little coverage compared to the lie. If you want your story to be the "orthodox" version of the tale, tell it first and tell it wide. The NFL used a seemingly willing Mortensen to do exactly that.

Fascinating!

I tried a PM to you (in the form of a conversation); pls let me know if you are able to view that and respond.

Thanks!

What's to disagree with? He IS dying. His cancer has recurred and spread to his lungs. I doubt he has a year to live.

Close to 2 people who have both had stage 4 cancer* going onto 2 years now. Pancreatic & lymph.
Used to think pancreatic cancer was a 6 month countdown.
Another family member lasted less than 6 months after her melanoma diagnosis.
Everyone's disease is different. Unfortunately cancers evolve and are different.

* means it's metastasized throughout the body to various spots

That's been as close to certain as anything can be since shortly after the story (and I do mean "story") broke. But until Mortensen or Kensil confirms it or until some incriminating evidence like a text or email surfaces, it will remain unproven.

The "Grigson to Kensil to Mortensen" chain after Harbaugh cried about the Patriots' "trickery" in the Division Game (and after Brady told him to "read the rule book" :cool: ) is also as close to certain as one can get without any of the principals confessing. Pagano's involvement is murkier, but someone had to put one of his players up to saying that the ball he intercepted "seemed a little soft."

I think a "real journalist" like Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post, who, unlike our own CHB, never bought the steaming pile of horse **** Goodell was selling, could break the true story some day; I get the impression that she hasn't yet let go of it. Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, despite his dislike of Belichick, has never let go of the story either because of his admiration for Brady.

Seriously, even five years later there will be a Pulitzer in it for the journalist who gets the evidence to nail them all.

Last edited:
Peter King deserves as much wrath as Mort. I literally have not watched a talkimg heads NFL show simce deflategate. I noticed that Peter King had some kind of segment anout Brady on YouTube the other day so I bit. He tells people, don’t hate Brady because he ‘s 40 (like anyone hated him for being 40); if you have a problem with his air pressure in footballs, that ‘s fair to question him. This is 2.5 years later. This ass clown is still bringing it up like it ‘s fact. He ‘s a dumb f *ck. Can’t believe Tom gave him his post SB51 interview.

Mort is not a good person. He knowingly let Brady and the Patriots get raked over the coals because of someone else's personal vendetta. He had no problem sacrificing an innocent man's reputation because he thought it would help his career

F him. I'm sorry he's dying, but it won't make me forget the sh!tty thing he did

Peter King deserves as much wrath as Mort. I literally have not watched a talkimg heads NFL show simce deflategate. I noticed that Peter King had some kind of segment anout Brady on YouTube the other day so I bit. He tells people, don’t hate Brady because he ‘s 40 (like anyone hated him for being 40); if you have a problem with his air pressure in footballs, that ‘s fair to question him. This is 2.5 years later. This ass clown is still bringing it up like it ‘s fact. He ‘s a dumb f *ck. Can’t believe Tom gave him his post SB51 interview.
King...Mortensen...any of these people who make their living off of their access to the NFL and its teams are, in the end, nothing but sycophants who get compensated very well for being an extension of the 345 Park PR operation.

Think about how thoroughly corrupt this system is: the HOF Selectors, of whom there are a relative handful (46), include not only Peter King but not one, not two, not three, but SIX people affiliated with ESPN, among whom are such luminaries as John Clayton and Pal Salantonio. It is a completely incestuous, rigged system where people who can put you into the Hall of Fame make their living off of having access to you, at the same time as they depend on the NFL for their role in the Selection Process.

That's why I admire a guy like Gary Myers who is a Selector but who has not been afraid to write scathing columns about Goodell and Deflategate. The rest of them are all cowards trying to protect their paychecks.

Last edited:
Mort is not a good person. He knowingly let Brady and the Patriots get raked over the coals because of someone else's personal vendetta. He had no problem sacrificing an innocent man's reputation because he thought it would help his career

F him. I'm sorry he's dying, but it won't make me forget the sh!tty thing he did
That Karma! She do be a beeitch.

In fact, let's look at what has transpired for all of the actors in the Deflategate charade.

Ryan Grigson (who helped orchestrate the entire nonsense)
Fired by Colts, May 4, 2017
Hired by Cleveland Browns, May, 2017 (OK, that's some punishment but still not enough)

Mike Kensil (the ultimate culprit)
Relieved of duties as NFL Head of Football Operations, April 27, 2016
Demoted to "V.P. Game Operations, International"
Has to read more and more articles about how he orchestrated the entire thing.

Chris Mortensen (spineless, sycophantic journalist)
Diagnosed with Cancer (we wish him a safe recovery, but not much else)

D'Qwell Jackson (who complained about the ball being "a little soft" after he picked Brady):
Arrested for Assault, February 3, 2015
Suspended four games for violating the NFL's PED policy, December 2016
Released by Colts, February 9, 2017

John Harbaugh (whose crying about the Patriots "trickery" arguably started the debacle)
17--23 since that game, no return to the playoffs to date or in sight

Andrew Luck (Colts QB that day, who cried that he was "salty" about the game afterwards)
10--12 in 22 starts over these last three seasons. Possibly out for the season again this year.

Roger Goodell
Had to hand Brady two SB MVP's and the Pats two SB trophies.
One day, will be outed for the entire affair.

Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr.
Regular Season Record since that game: 28--7
Playoffs: 5--1, including Two Super Bowl Victories, Two Super Bowl MVP's
Recognized as the G.O.A.T.

**** all of them! Hopefully, one day, the true story will be told in a way that cannot be denied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye