PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Rumours of Moss to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
borg said:
According to PFT...
"Moss is signed through 2008, at salaries of $9.75 million and $11.25 million, respectively, in each of the next two seasons."
So let me get this straight, some of you advocate giving up a a FIRST round pick AND shelling out $21 million over 2 years to a guy that has work ethic issues. Do you think others in the lockeroom might have issues with management making Moss the second highest paid player on the team having played zero downs for the organization? Smart teams don't pay top dollar AND first round picks...it makes zero sense organizationally.

You are right that NE wouldn't pay that much for Moss, but who says he would get paid his current contract? If he wants to play with NE he will have to take a pay cut just as Dillon did, earn his keep and then renegotiate a new deal.

I think it's possible if he's willing to do it the Pats way.

borg said:
According to PFT...
"Moss is signed through 2008, at salaries of $9.75 million and $11.25 million, respectively, in each of the next two seasons."
So let me get this straight, some of you advocate giving up a a FIRST round pick AND shelling out $21 million over 2 years to a guy that has work ethic issues. Do you think others in the lockeroom might have issues with management making Moss the second highest paid player on the team having played zero downs for the organization? Smart teams don't pay top dollar AND first round picks...it makes zero sense organizationally.

Those are the last years of the contract which virtually nobody pays out. Players are usually cut or renogitiated before those kinds of numbers kick in. From the SI article it seems like the only real money in question is the remaining $4MM on the signing bonus.

maxhagen said:
You are right that NE wouldn't pay that much for Moss, but who says he would get paid his current contract? If he wants to play with NE he will have to take a pay cut just as Dillon did, earn his keep and then renegotiate a new deal.

I think it's possible if he's willing to do it the Pats way.
But thats just it. Dillon may have taken the pay cut but I just cant imagine how in the hell Moss would.

Moss hasnt been on a losing team forever. The Vikings got into the playoffs a few times and even to the NFC Title game. Corey was playing on a crappy team for the entire beggining of his career.

Ya'll are killing me with these "Moss Rumor" threads! Count me in the "without a doubt he would play hard & help make our team extraordinary, I want him here" category!!

First off, the Patriots are not going to trade for Randy Moss, at the end of the day, he is a guy who almost beat another human being to death in a high school stairwell, add to this fact that it was a "hate" crime, and I believe he does not fit the mold for a "patriot's player" established by Myra and Bob...

The other thing that people are not considering is the cap hit trading Moss would be on Oakland, they would have to assume the remainder of his signing bonus. I believe that they re-worked his original Vikings deal to change his base salaires into signing bonuses, so if they trade him, they are going to take an excellerated cap hit (granted it will be less than 11 million they would have to pay him next year, but the question is do they have the cap room.

Jacky Roberts said:
You dont think having the chance to play with Brady/Belichick, etc would light a fire under this guy? I think it would.
Check with Deion Branch on this subject.

There seems to be a premise that we need a player like Moss that badly. I disagree. Gabriel looked better this week, Brown is still reliable, the TEs will catch most of what is thrown at them and there is Kevin Faulk/ Maroney on third down. The problems with the receivers seem to have come down to familiarity, both with the playbook, specific routes and that split second timing. Moss would take time to digest the plays and get that understanding with Brady. We already used a high pick on a wideout. Why use another, when we could use it on any number of other positions?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to hope that this happens.
In fact, I think I'd give up a first rd pick. I'm also taking into consideratioin that we got Gabriel (Moss's buddy) for a 5th. A 5th and a 1st for the 2 of them does'nt seem too bad.
Oh well, it's all idle speculation anyway.

mgcolby said:
Hey I agree with you on a lot of this. But he is asked to be the leader of that football team and a leader he is not. Coming here he will only be asked to be a WR and a good teammate. He would not be our best player which would take some pressure off of him.

I don't see anything wrong with my analogy, Dillon had been in trouble with the law before, he *****ed and moaned to the media before, he threw his teammates under the bus as well. So I don't see where I am that far off.

If anything Randy dealt with a worse situation in Minnesota, because that was a talented team that dramatically fell short of their expectations every year. I think knowing you are on a team that has the talent to win but fails year in and year out is more painful than knowing you're on a team that doesn't have a chance, even in July of every year.

I'd take a flyer on Moss for the right price.

I just think comparing him with Dillon is unfair.

I'm not talking about his past, I just see him as a very talented unmotivated player who is lazy and takes plays off.

You think Dillon takes plays off?

Dillon gained over 700 yards last year mostly with an injury that should have been in a cast for a week because there was no one else, (I'd say no one else who was healthy, but playing on 2 bad legs isn't healthy.

A better comparison is Jonathan Sullivan. We took a shot and he played well for a while. Obviously not well enough to stick.

Moss is more valuable than Sullivan, but not a lot more motivated in my opinion.

Why not compare Moss to Lawrence Taylor? He had drug problems.

R_T26 said:
I remmeber the offseason we goit Dillon, when he was still with the bengals people asked if the Pats should get him, and we heard the same things, he's not a good teammate, he's a cancer, the bengals were finally winning and he still wanted out, he claimed the o-line wasnt blocking for him, threw his stuff in the stands. As soon as the pats get him, everyone's opinion changed. If in some crazy way the Pats do get him, i want the same people who say they dont want him now saying the same thing. No riding fences people, call a spade a spade.

If Moss played 1/2 as hard as Dillon, he'd already be the greatest ever.

I can't wait for October 18th to come.

The day after the trading deadline.

brady2brown said:
Check with Deion Branch on this subject.
Deion Branch had no idea how good he had it, the Patriot way is the only way he'd ever known. Randy Moss has seen the other side of how a football team is coached/run. Plus Deion has two rings, maybe playing for Belichick/Branch doesn't quite mean as much to him as the almighty $$$

Dillon was frustrated with being on a losing team in Cincy. Randy Moss has said that he's not too concerned by being on a losing team in Oakland.

You guys are in dreamland. Randy Moss doesn't give a damn about winning a ring, if he did he wouldn't have gone to Oakland.

this almost makes the bye week fun.

Dunno if he's the answer or not but you can't deny two things:
1. WR is VERY cloudy right now.
2. cap space, this year or next, is NOT a limiting factor.

Like I said, it could be a mistake, but that won't stop me from wetting my pants if it happens. I'm trying to imagine the worst case scenario...it's not like he turns franchises into a smouldering pile of ashes like T.O.

best case scenario is that he has the most productive years of his entire career...and you know what that means!

Believe nothing you see in the media the next few days...actually you might be better off believing the opposite...the spin is out of control. I heard Mortensen the other day say about a Moss trade "don't bet on it" -- which I interpreted as, 'we're now open for offers.' These guys are public mouthpieces for Al Davis who is trying to maximize his value here. Moss is definitely a lost cause for them so there's no point in not trying to cut their losses and work out a win-win deal...and you can't deal him where he doesn't want to play -- so it makes sense and we may have more leverage than people think...especially if Moss actually wants to come here (don't tell me he isn't talking with Gabriel about the possibilities).

I better stop before I get too excited.

PATSNUTme said:
I can't wait for October 18th to come.

The day after the trading deadline.

ahh...go golfing ya grouch!

:D

Grizzafted said:
Dillon was frustrated with being on a losing team in Cincy. Randy Moss has said that he's not too concerned by being on a losing team in Oakland.

You guys are in dreamland. Randy Moss doesn't give a damn about winning a ring, if he did he wouldn't have gone to Oakland.
I don't think that was by choice, wasn't he traded there????

Re: Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

BelichickFan said:
It actually seems inconclusive to me. Saying "why not" to whether a guy could play for him is different than saying "absolutely".

How often does Belichick speak in terms of 'absolutely?'

FreeTedWilliams said:
First off, the Patriots are not going to trade for Randy Moss, at the end of the day, he is a guy who almost beat another human being to death in a high school stairwell, add to this fact that it was a "hate" crime, and I believe he does not fit the mold for a "patriot's player" established by Myra and Bob...

The other thing that people are not considering is the cap hit trading Moss would be on Oakland, they would have to assume the remainder of his signing bonus. I believe that they re-worked his original Vikings deal to change his base salaires into signing bonuses, so if they trade him, they are going to take an excellerated cap hit (granted it will be less than 11 million they would have to pay him next year, but the question is do they have the cap room.

The cap hit would be no different than if they cut him. This way they are getting rid of a potential time bomb for their organization and getting some compensation for it in return.

WRT to Moss taking plays off, it seems to me he's doing that when the play doesn't call for him to get the ball. In the Pats passing offense, with Brady being the best quarterback in the world at checking down a progression, there is ALWAYS the chance for Moss to get the ball. Except on running plays of course.

Here is Reiss' take on Moss:

Reiss said:
Doug Gabriel was telling me last week that Moss is misunderstood and is a great teammate. Gabriel and Moss are tight from their Raider days. From a production standpoint, Moss would be a no-brainer, assuming the Raiders would trade him. But it's all those other questions -- the stuff about not playing hard etc. -- that makes me think it's a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back