PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Money and cap considerations: another year of Brady or ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Brady or a veteran starter, sure. For a veteran backup to Stidham, no.

No. Once again, I'm saying that the money it would take to re-sign Brady might be better spent on shoring up other positions if Stidham is deemed ready. You consider that impossible, which is fine; we're just speculating here. Maybe Brady is willing to sign for $13 million, maybe he won't take less than $30 million. Maybe he retires. Maybe he goes with McDaniels to the Chargers. I'm just saying that whatever Brady asks for must be weighed in terms of what's needed to field a competitive roster.
Totally oblivious to how this franchise has won.

Yes, because obviously if the first time a kid plays in an NFL game he throws a pick 6, he's done for life. Are you really this stupid?
Name one thing that makes you believe Stidham could feasibly be the successor to Brady besides the fact that he is currently on the team

Name one thing that makes you believe Stidham could feasibly be the successor to Brady besides the fact that he is currently on the team
His coach is Bill Belichick

Yes, it does.

The team need not spend a lot of new 2020 cap money on Brady or on whoever else is the bridge to starting a draftee.

So, yes, cap money associated with Brady would be moved to the future, as has been done in every Brady contract. This will result in a dead cap hit when we are paying our starting QB first/rookie contract money.
======
As a side note, if Brady retires, we might bring in a veteran, and push part of his salary into the future. Thus our bridge quarterback will not cost a lot of 2020 cap money, whether that bridge is Brady or another veteran.

MG, where are you getting that number? Does it include cap money spent in subsequent years when Brady's not playing?

His coach is Bill Belichick
And his coach has lauded him publically in a number of ways. And his first preseason was measurably better than Garap0llo's. Who is on the verge of QBing his team to the SB in his first full season as a starter. He's got a good arm, he's accurate, by all reports he's very smart, and he's a hard worker. What makes you think if you combine that with Bill Belichick you DON'T get a competitive NFL QB. Nobody is saying he'll be Brady or better than Brady. Since Brady is the best that every played, that would be idiotic. But Brady isn't Brady anymore and it's not going to get better.

And his coach has lauded him publically in a number of ways. And his first preseason was measurably better than Garap0llo's. Who is on the verge of QBing his team to the SB in his first full season as a starter. He's got a good arm, he's accurate, by all reports he's very smart, and he's a hard worker. What makes you think if you combine that with Bill Belichick you DON'T get a competitive NFL QB. Nobody is saying he'll be Brady or better than Brady. Since Brady is the best that every played, that would be idiotic. But Brady isn't Brady anymore and it's not going to get better.
Exactly.

No one know if Stidham will be worth a damn but if we assume he has talent, having BB develop him is a huge advantage.

Which is another way of saying that he's on the Patriots.
Perhaps you can solve the mystery by specifying why you don't believe Stidham feasibly could be Brady's successor.

Perhaps you can solve the mystery by specifying why you don't believe Stidham feasibly could be Brady's successor.
Because every team, including this one, falls prey to the delusion that there is some guy on their bench who is better than the current option if they have any lack of satisfaction with it.

The reality is, there is no evidence supporting the idea that he will amount to anything, and the only real info we have is him failing the first time he was brought out in a situation where he had virtually no pressure. So if we are going strictly by what is known, it's not in his favor.

The only thing that supports that he is some capable QB who could fill in is.... wishful thinking

Which is another way of saying that he's on the Patriots.
...and receiving coaching from the best as opposed to a scrub like Herm Edwards.

Because every team, including this one, falls prey to the delusion that there is some guy on their bench who is better than the current option if they have any lack of satisfaction with it.

The reality is, there is no evidence supporting the idea that he will amount to anything, and the only real info we have is him failing the first time he was brought out in a situation where he had virtually no pressure. So if we are going strictly by what is known, it's not in his favor.

The only thing that supports that he is some capable QB who could fill in is.... wishful thinking
You're judging Stidham's future suitability on throwing a pick in his one regular-season cameo appearance? (He did complete two passes before that, BTW.) Apparently you didn't watch him in the preseason or training camp or pay attention to what BB/his teammates have been saying about him. There is plenty in the category of what "strictly is known" about the kid that's encouraging, you're just not paying close enough attention.

You're judging Stidham's future suitability on throwing a pick in his one regular-season cameo appearance? (He did complete two passes before that, BTW.) Apparently you didn't watch him in the preseason or training camp or pay attention to what BB/his teammates have been saying about him. There is plenty in the category of what "strictly is known" about the kid that's encouraging, you're just not paying close enough attention.
I'm judging him off what he's done against real NFL competetion (and the Jets at that), you are judging him based off preseason and practice.

There's nothing there. In a year or two when he's gone or an embarassment we can reassess this

I also have no way to prove that Kessler (or Stidham) can't be Brady's successor. It doesn't follow that we don't need to have a mid-level to top veteran on the 2020 roster.

Clearly, the best for belichick is to praise the backups. This helps his negotiating position with Brady or with anyone else.

We'll have lots of time for extensive decisions next month (or even next week).

I would note a couple of things. First is that cutting a player requires replacing him, at at least the minimum cap number.

So, we have to list more details scenarios. For example, good luck in saving ANY money by cutting Harmon and/or Chung. We save only $6M by cutting them.

I have the same position with regard to Guy, Bolden, Brooks, Simon and Andrews. Replacing any of them would cost more than keeping them.

WARNING: Highly speculative post full of conjecture and BS
:p

As of right now it's projected the NEP will have ~$49m in cap space entering March.

When I look at the attached link, If BB is so inclined, I see the opportunity to do some serious slashing/restructuring.

I'm not advocating, but I am noticing...

High- $11.3m hit. $2.5m remaining if cut. $9m savings
Cannon- $8.9m hit. $3.7m remaining. $5m savings
Sanu- $6m if cut. I'm guessing they'll restructure. Maybe a $3m savings
Chung- $5.8. $3.8 remaining. $2m savings
Jason- $5.5m hit. $1.7mm remaining. $3.8m savings
Harmon- $5.5m. $1.2m remaining. $4m savings
Guy- $5m. $1.2m remaining. $3.8m in savings
Gost- $4.9m. $1.4m remaining $3.5m savings
White- $4.5m. $1m. $3.5m savings
Rex- $3.9 hit. $1m remaining. $2.9 savings
Andrews- $3.8m. $400k. $2.5m savings
Simon- $1.8m savings
Bolden- $1.5m savings
Brooks - $1.5m savings

If everyone is cut (which I am not advocating) that is another ~$40m in cap savings.

Figure they'll be some restructuring deals for a few (White?).

My guess is they'll add an additional $25m in cap space.

If we believe Tom has one more solid year left, that is how they pay for him AND add a couple of key pieces to the offense and maybe the D.

New England Patriots 2020 Salary Cap

I take it back, whether the Pats win or lose, Brady is much better than Tannehill & Tennessee is still in play for Brady...

Just so you braintrusts know, Brady was far and away our best offensive player tonight. Not even close

SMH. That is so confused I had to read it several times to convince myself you really wrote that.

If teams think they have a better guy on the bench then the one currently playing they’d be playing that better guy.

They should think they have a guy on the bench who can step in and do an adequate job to replace the guy who is playing if he gets hurt or plays poorly. They may not even think the guy on the bench is all that good, it’s more a matter of how good a value he is. But that’s not even close to what you said.

SMH. That is so confused I had to read it several times to convince myself you really wrote that.

If teams think they have a better guy on the bench then the one currently playing they’d be playing that better guy.

They should think they have a guy on the bench who can step in and do an adequate job to replace the guy who is playing if he gets hurt or plays poorly. They may not even think the guy on the bench is all that good, it’s more a matter of how good a value he is. But that’s not even close to what you said.
There is absolutely no reason to think that the guy on the bench is better. I asked in this thread why besides he's on our team that people think he could fill in and it came down to basically that Belichick was the coach, which is another way of saying he's on the team.

It's generic talk you hear from every fanbase upset with their offense. It's the grass is greener mentality. Stidham is just a unicorn at this point that people think could be the answer because he is a total unknown.

I believe if Brady will take a 1 year 20m dollar deal to come back for one last go at it, you've got to sign him. Then provide him real weapons for success. This year was a setup for failure. This OL has looked its worse in years. The wide receiver corps was piss poor outside of lone Julian Edelman who got doubled the majority of all the games. We had no Tight End. Michel came off a regression year. And who was our fullback?

I say resign Brady 1 year 20m. Sign Derrick Henry, he's Corey Dillon 2.0, get some serious offensive tools for Brady: a talented OL, a real TE, a competent WR to take pressure off Edelman. And you will see a rejuvenation of this Patriots team. We have been just so spoiled for so long, BB thought he could duct tape together an offensive solution with table scraps, but it just wouldn't do this time around.

The Patriots can make a serious title run if they give Brady a year with the proper tools and talent around him. The other route is to give up next year, go into full rebuild mode, and let the Chargers get a big piece, Brady, to round out a talented overall team.

Me I'd rather go for one more year. The defense can continue to be good without that many additional pieces. It is the offense that needs the 'total makeover'. And Brady is still capable of driving a Formula 1 car, the problem is that BB saddled him with a Chevy Nova to race against true race cars.

Despite having the fewest weapons I've seen him have in years, Brady still amassed 4,057 yards passing 24 TDs and only 8 INTs. Let's give Brady a real shot next year! One more go! Bring on Brady's true Revenge Tour in 2020!

I believe if Brady will take a 1 year 20m dollar deal to come back for one last go at it, you've got to sign him. Then provide him real weapons for success. This year was a setup for failure. This OL has looked its worse in years. The wide receiver corps was piss poor outside of lone Julian Edelman who got doubled the majority of all the games. We had no Tight End. Michel came off a regression year. And who was our fullback?

I say resign Brady 1 year 20m. Sign Derrick Henry, he's Corey Dillon 2.0, get some serious offensive tools for Brady: a talented OL, a real TE, a competent WR to take pressure off Edelman. And you will see a rejuvenation of this Patriots team. We have been just so spoiled for so long, BB thought he could duct tape together an offensive solution with table scraps, but it just wouldn't do this time around.

The Patriots can make a serious title run if they give Brady a year with the proper tools and talent around him. The other route is to give up next year, go into full rebuild mode, and let the Chargers get a big piece, Brady, to round out a talented overall team.

Me I'd rather go for one more year. The defense can continue to be good without that many additional pieces. It is the offense that needs the 'total makeover'. And Brady is still capable of driving a Formula 1 car, the problem is that BB saddled him with a Chevy Nova to race against true race cars.

Despite having the fewest weapons I've seen him have in years, Brady still amassed 4,057 yards passing 24 TDs and only 8 INTs. Let's give Brady a real shot next year! One more go! Bring on Brady's true Revenge Tour in 2020!

Where are you going to get the money for all that? Cut the entire defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes