PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB - Brady is last of the Mohicans and not planning to leave any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, Brady's making better, quicker decisions and throwing to a more diverse group of receivers than any QB in the NFL.

People too often make conclusions on decision making based on execution. Brady's decision to throw to Gronk deep vs. Blackburn was not a bad decision, but it was poorly executed.

Eli Manning's quick pass inside to Victor Cruz resulted in a touchdown, but if Mayo had executed well enough, it was a pick-6 the other way.

In the middle of the third quarter, we were witnessing one of the best QB'd games in the history of the Super Bowl in what Brady and Manning were doing. The productions numbers weren't gaudy because possessions were at a premium, but the QB ratings were off the charts. Brady was playing extremely well.

Bottom line - if one of those two fumbles lands differently and bounces to a Patriot, we'd be talking about him as definitively the greatest QB of all-time right now, and folks like Rhody Patriot would probably be bored silly these days.

So, we have to wait another year to see if we can shut up the haters. Painful, but we're blessed as Patriot fans to witness a team so good for this long. Extra pressure and pain is the cost of being as competitive as the Pats are every year - both for its players and its fans. This offseason post-SB46 it might not feel super, but its without question worth it.

Last edited:
People too often make conclusions on decision making based on execution. Brady's decision to throw to Gronk deep vs. Blackburn was not a bad decision, but it was poorly executed.

Eli Manning's quick pass inside to Victor Cruz resulted in a touchdown, but if Mayo had executed well enough, it was a pick-6 the other way.

In the middle of the third quarter, we were witnessing one of the best QB'd games in the history of the Super Bowl in what Brady and Manning were doing. The productions numbers weren't gaudy because possessions were at a premium, but the QB ratings were off the charts. Brady was playing extremely well.

Bottom line - if one of those two fumbles lands differently and bounces to a Patriot, we'd be talking about him as definitively the greatest QB of all-time right now, and folks like Rhody Patriot would probably be bored silly these days.

So, we have to wait another year to see if we can shut up the haters. Painful, but we're blessed as Patriot fans to witness a team so good for this long. Extra pressure and pain is the cost of being as competitive as the Pats are every year - both for its players and its fans. This offseason it might not feel like it, but we'll look back on it and know it was without question worth it.

I wasn't focused on just the Super Bowl when I made the comment you referenced. I was thinking about how Brady threw for second most yards in NFL history to two gifted but very different 2nd-year tight ends and a receiving corps of Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Chad Ochocinco, Tiquan, Underwood and a few backs, none of whom is a great receiver (a la Kevin Faulk, Dave Meggett, etc.).

The thing about Brady is that he hits the open man with so much consistency and keeps defenses on their heels with his reads, and gets huge yards in relatively small bites. The big yardage and TD years with Randy Moss is the only part of his career with consistent 30+ yard completions, and that, as we've argued, created a situation where Brady and the offense was compelled to focus on the bomb to the detriment of the many facets we see with a tight end passing game.

His big year last year required extraordinary reads and snap decisions week after week.

In the Super Bowl itself, it was execution and the injuries that played a role in the Welker pass floating on them and the Gronk pass. If Brady and Gronk are both 100%, they win.

Last edited:
I wasn't focused on just the Super Bowl when I made the comment you referenced. I was thinking about how Brady threw for second most yards in NFL history to two gifted but very different 2nd-year tight ends and a receiving corps of Wes Welker, Deion Branch, Chad Ochocinco, Tiquan, Underwood and a few backs, none of whom is a great receiver (a la Kevin Faulk, Dave Meggett, etc.).

I should clarify my post was not directed at you - merely that your comments were the jumpoff that led me on a tangent more directed at some of the negative posts upthread.

This is interesting... Tom's new mechanic weighs in.

“There’s no secret. He’s bright. He’s willing to work. He’s not afraid to make changes,” House said. “Because of that, he’s going to deal with the aging process, and do fine with that. I see no reason why he can’t play into his 40s.”

House has a doctorate in sports psychology. While he’s most noted for his work with baseball legends Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson, who pitched well into their 40s, he’s expanded his expertise in the science of throwing to include a football.

Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints has worked with House.

“What we do here is a high-tech tune-up,” House said. “I’m not a quarterback coach. I’m not a conditioning coach. What we do is assess human movement efficiencies, throwing, then we look for weak links (stability, mobility, flexibility) . . . it’s like tuning up a Ferrari.”

Brady, 34, had indicated this week in an SI.com report he wants to play past the age 40.

“The way these athletes have access to information and instruction, and the medical support they get, 40 is the new 30,” House said.

This is also why I always laughed at the he isn't the old driven Tom sleeping in the weight room during the offseason to win the parking space knuckleheads. Doesn't matter where he is, he's always working to get better.

Tom House pitches analysis of Tom Brady - BostonHerald.com

This is interesting... Tom's new mechanic weighs in.

This is also why I always laughed at the he isn't the old driven Tom sleeping in the weight room during the offseason to win the parking space knuckleheads. Doesn't matter where he is, he's always working to get better.

Tom House pitches analysis of Tom Brady - BostonHerald.com

LOL......you're just a 'he will play as long as I say he plays' knucklehead.....here's your knuckle......wear it on your head proudly

As long as he's physically able, he will QB this team. He has started to fight some injuries the past couple years and the tendinitis one is a concern.

But health aside - I truly believe he's only gotten better with age. His understanding of this offense and of opposing defenses is frightening.

He's now armed with his best receiving group since 2007. The defense has a chance to be the most talented and versatile group Belichick has had in some time. I can see why Brady would be ready for many more years to come here.
I agree. Age is just a number.:rolleyes:
I tell that to all the 20 year old women in bars that think I'm a creepy old man.

Way too many variables to assess how many years it might be. And, among those variables, the only one we can observe is how he does on the field. We have no access either to the real state of his health or to how he really feels about playing football or to how he feels about life outside of football.

I doubt he'll stop saying he wants to play 10 more years until the day he stops saying it...which could be the day he retires. Why would he? There's no upside in it for him to say anything else and a lot of downside.

I don't see Brady as Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, continuing to play at a very good but not great level as his team's best option but not at his own best level.

I'll stick by what I've said out here before. I think he'll play out his existing contract over the next three seasons and ride off into the sunset with his mental and physical faculties fully intact and a future of pure gold, whether he decides to spend it on a beach with his wife and kids or whether he builds a business with Gisele, perhaps out of his affiliation with Under Armour or UGG.

Maybe. Maybe after this contract he extends for a few more. I think winning another SB might cause him to retire - based on nothing I better ad.

Brady is a competitor. I read that he used to get crazy competitive for the dominoes game in the locker room. He is going to be like Favre, Marino, etc. and have to be pried away from the game in the end. I think he will do it with more dignity than Favre though.

I expect Brady to play until his body won't let him whether it is two years from now or in his early 40s. The good new for him is most of what makes him special is in his head and not in his legs or arms (although he does throw one of the best spirals in the game). That means barring injuries he could play until he is in his early 40s.

I think he is serious about wanting to play for another ten years. I think as long as he can be at least an above average QB, he will continue playing until that date.

One thing going for him unlike QBs before him is that over the last 5 years the rules have changed to protect the QB and he hasn't taken the abuse as guys like Montana and Marino had where their skills declined rapidly in their mid to late 30s.

Whenever it happens, I can name plenty of legends that did not retire with their origional team as opposed to Elway. Wait a minute, Marino, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, Kenny Anderson, Bart Starr -retiring with your "team" is more common than I thought.

I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

Um, don't bogart that joint.

Over TFB's dead body would that happen. You can't have 2 starting QBs, co-QBs don't work, you need your starting QB to be the Alpha male, the unquestioned leader of the team, sharing the position doesnt work.

Actually there is precedent. I think the 1952 Rams... (Seriously, look it up.)
Of course in what 80 years I can come up with only 1 example. Let's not mention that.:D

TB would be the starter, Mallet would be the developmental heir apparent to the starting QB position. It would be like how teams bench starters after they lock up a playoff spot, only used more often.

All I'm saying is if by resting Brady a few games out of the year can extend his playing career by two years then it is worth it. I'm not talking about platooning Brady rotating QBs every other series, I'm talking about giving Brady extra bye weeks. What I want to see is getting the most out of Brady, and if that means resting him and putting Mallet at the helm of a few games then I am all for it.

Oh, you were serious.
Think of the damage that'll do to Mallet. He throws three incomplete in a row where two are legitimately not his fault but everyone in the stadium turns their head to the end of the bench where Brady is.
I'm not religious, but if you are pray Belichick does not do that to the kid. (Yes, I'll laugh when that happens in NY.)

I was going to read all this thread,but Avenger's post made me chime in early.

as the board's biggest tin foil hat wearer, it is well known that I scour other boards and try to piece together correlations between what "fans" post there to posts made here.

J.I. has a peculiar cretin who uses the login "RIJetfan"...interesting reading back through his posts...exact phrases used there THIS "Pat fan" uses here...coinky dinky???

Remember...I unmasked that complete ball of hate,628 from Gangrene the same way...he has since transmogrified into another login form...but the point remains the same...THIS site is infested with these green idiots who log in as "objective" Patriots fans and then post hundreds of negative, mocking and outright disingenuous messages...only to return to their own green cesspool sites and essentially use the same verbiage...as if no one is going to notice.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you do that, but...
There are these big, green things outside. Don't be afraid of them. They are called trees.:D

So double mocha with whipped cream has retired Faulk already? He might be right, but he's stretching his premise.

I was wondering about Faulk too, then remembered the source is an irrelevant hack E!SPN "writer" who can use autotext for most of his "origional" columns.

Last edited:
look up David Woodley and Don Strock, they had a dual QB system going that took Miami to a Super Bowl appearance.

look up David Woodley and Don Strock, they had a dual QB system going that took Miami to a Super Bowl appearance.

Cool. That is two examples in 80 years.:)

When it works it is real good, both times. One thing from both examples: they were #1 and 1A not number 1 and the place holder saving the arm of the old war horse.

In fact, if memory serves, didn't the younger Woodley start the SB?

Cool. That is two examples in 80 years.:)

When it works it is real good, both times. One thing from both examples: they were #1 and 1A not number 1 and the place holder saving the arm of the old war horse.

In fact, if memory serves, didn't the younger Woodley start the SB?

I think Mallet will be a really good QB, in 5 years I think he will be top 5.

I think Mallet will be a really good QB, in 5 years I think he will be top 5.

He probably will be, but being the guy after THE GUY is hard enough without THE GUY still being available.

Like I said a few dropped passes falling incomplete and all heads in the stadium turn to Brady. Yes, Brady has thrown incomplete passes but we are not talking about the man - we are talking about the legend that people remember at that point.

He probably will be, but being the guy after THE GUY is hard enough without THE GUY still being available.

Like I said a few dropped passes falling incomplete and all heads in the stadium turn to Brady. Yes, Brady has thrown incomplete passes but we are not talking about the man - we are talking about the legend that people remember at that point.

maybe, but those people are brady fans and not football fans

I have a hunch that BB wouldn't cave to public pressure.

I took your advice, Lurker....I went outside and looked at those big tall green things and they WERE trees...just like you said...but then, I heard this little squeak like bark and lo and behold...LOOK what was hiding behind a low hanging branch???

_ml_p2p_pc_badge_normal1

yes...he IS wearing his Jet doggie sweater....

Last edited:
Here's another rational discussion of the Brady topic based on Tom's comments this week and logical observation and analysis.

He thinks Brady has at least 5 and possibly 8 years left, and he discusses why transitioning to a younger QB might come down to doing so for nothing more than the sake of his being younger. Thinks bad Brady will still be a 2/1 TD to INT ratio guy while any kid is likely to be a 1/1 ratio QB for at least his first season in the big leagues. Ergo he thinks he will finish his career here when "they" tell him they think it's time to move on. He also has an interesting theory about what Tom will do after football relative to his belief that knowledge imparted should be passed on by those who have benefitted from it.

The subject of Welker also came up. Curren seems to think that 3/$27 or 4/$32+ would likely do it for Welker's camp if the guaranteed money is roughly two tags ($21M and he thinks it's not out of the question that they tag him again anyway absent a deal which would kind of make not doing one foolish). His loyal as a Lab piece just a day before Wes signed the tag was basically spot on as far as getting who Wes is.

A realistic assessment of Brady’s career duration | ProFootballTalk

ok.....so the pats are going to go with brady for 5 to 8 years.......which means he will start every game while healthy meaning that the pats other QB's will not see any PT......so thebrady get to 38 or 39 years old and the pats aren't going to have anyone of consequence behind him?

this has to be the most stupid notion in terms of planning a football team I have ever heard. it will be zero depth because the pats will not be able to afford anyone of consequence. they will either be paying the money to brady or shelling out for experiences offensive skill position guys to keep him happy.

I have seen time and time again what happens to teams that hold onto critical players too long........they hit the tanke for a very long time......

i'm going to stick to my own guns and say he will finish his contract and he will move on one way or another.

the other fallacy here is that he will remain healthy over that time and his armo will continue to be the same......which is a reach by any stratch of the imagination.

I see people being very unrealistic in their expectations

The Pats didn't appear to have anyone of consequence behind Bledsoe in 2000. They didn't appear to have anyone of consequence behind Brady in 2008. Don't actually have anyone of proven consequence behind him in 2012. Things have a way of working themselves out even if fans don't recognize the signs at the time. There will be somebody behind him in 2016 or 2017 or 2018 - whether the fans recognize that individual as being of consequence or not. And regardless of whether they can project that far ahead... Moving on from Brady well before you have to would likely be something full of consequence. He's a once in a generation talent. They aren't as easily replaced as some choose to believe. Ergo the rush to or in some cases need or determination to is foolhardy at best.

Here's another rational discussion of the Brady topic based on Tom's comments this week and logical observation and analysis.

He thinks Brady has at least 5 and possibly 8 years left, and he discusses why transitioning to a younger QB might come down to doing so for nothing more than the sake of his being younger. Thinks bad Brady will still be a 2/1 TD to INT ratio guy while any kid is likely to be a 1/1 ratio QB for at least his first season in the big leagues. Ergo he thinks he will finish his career here when "they" tell him they think it's time to move on. He also has an interesting theory about what Tom will do after football relative to his belief that knowledge imparted should be passed on by those who have benefitted from it.

The subject of Welker also came up. Curren seems to think that 3/$27 or 4/$32+ would likely do it for Welker's camp if the guaranteed money is roughly two tags ($21M and he thinks it's not out of the question that they tag him again anyway absent a deal which would kind of make not doing one foolish). His loyal as a Lab piece just a day before Wes signed the tag was basically spot on as far as getting who Wes is.

A realistic assessment of Brady’s career duration | ProFootballTalk

A first year player will still be getting into the groove, that's why weeming him in would be effective, If Brady starts 10 or 11 games he will win probably 9 of them or more, and Mallet will probably win no less than 3, probably 4 of the 5 or 6 that he starts. That is enough for 12 or 13 wins, making the playoffs and have Brady light it up for a SB run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back