PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB - Brady is last of the Mohicans and not planning to leave any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm saying is if by resting Brady a few games out of the year can extend his playing career by two years then it is worth it. I'm not talking about platooning Brady rotating QBs every other series, I'm talking about giving Brady extra bye weeks. What I want to see is getting the most out of Brady, and if that means resting him and putting Mallet at the helm of a few games then I am all for it.

:wha:

You understand that this is a 16 week season right? Even one off week and bury the playoff hopes. You're logic is sound for a 162 game schedule, but for the NFL, it's just whacked.

I'm with ya here.....

I really believe he is the kind of person who will keep saying that he's playing forever until he announces one day that 'I'm done'.

to me, the most likely moment will be at the end of his current contract or maybe even a year sooner. 2-3 years is it to me.

I believe he is now at a point where his skills will begine to diminish, most likely due to an arm issue........watch

Its just a prediction, so the rump swabbers can stay relaxed in their 'knowing' that he will be with the pats forever

I'm not worrying about his skills declining coming directly off the second-most passing yards in NFL history. But as I said above, part of that feat comes from the burden placed on him, which is unwise at his age. Improving the team around him to increase his longevity to maintain our maximum championship window is all that matters to me.

Brady doesn't rely on his legs to be successful, he's an elite decision maker with no arm injuries, that alone gives the FO the burden of helping him more and the team in general the advantage of having him leading the offense for longer than might otherwise be predicted based solely on his age.

Last edited:
PS: using the example of the never before called in the entire season intentional grounding (= safety) for an overthrown ball down the middle of the field is not exactly the best choice of saying TB has poorer decision making.

I truly believe the refs choked on this one. How he can wind up like that, throw it mid-hit and it's considered intentional grounding is behind me. For all the refs know, the hit changed the trajectory of the pass. They have absolutely no way of deciding intent on that pass.

Im the last one to bring up an argument against TFB cause i love the dude, but when did he hurt his shoulder in the last SB? i honestly dont remember it.

anyway, Brady's overall performance in the last SB was very good, minus the int you cant call him out for anything happend in that game, as i recall.

Sack in 3rd qtr, hurt his shoulder. QB rating was like 120+ before hit <40 after.

I'm not worrying about his skills declining coming directly off the second-most passing yards in NFL history. But as I said above, part of that feat comes from the burden placed on him, which is unwise at his age. Improving the team around him to increase his longevity to maintain our maximum championship window is all that matters to me.

Brady doesn't rely on his legs to be successful, he's an elite decision maker with no arm injuries, that alone gives the FO the burden of helping him more and the team in general the advantage of having him leading the offense for longer than might otherwise be predicted based solely on his age.

I should have rephrased as his physical ability be it to recover from injury or avoiding injury. even though they had a lead, it took one hit (and not a very hard one) in order to alter the outcome of an SB.

QB's get hit......even under the best protection.

So double mocha with whipped cream has retired Faulk already? He might be right, but he's stretching his premise.

so are you saying that as long as brady doesn't get hit, we'll be OK?

Getting hit is one thing what looked like a separated shoulder is not just a hit.

Yeah if Brady is healthy we win.

Its just a prediction, so the rump swabbers can stay relaxed in their 'knowing' that he will be with the pats forever

I'm starting to notice that you seem rather obsessively focused on "rump swabbing." :eek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

To argue with you over your first paragraph would be to argue over something neither you nor I can know, but about which we are both entitled to our opinions. You're saying you think you know what's in his mind based on years of observation, I'm saying we can't. But, as I said, there's nothing I can say to refute what you say.

I guess we just disagree on the second paragraph. Every human has his/her own idiosyncrasies and personality order/disorder; Favre is no different, but it doesn't change the facts of what he did, which was to play past his best years. Warner played too long, IMO. One doesn't have to be "carted" off to do so. Some of his statements suggest that his mental faculties aren't "all there," so it was high time for him to go when he did leave.

TB is signed through 2014, and I'm not questioning that he will play out his current contract, let alone arguing that he shouldn't.

I know what he's done and I know what he's said. Those aren't opinions. You simply choose to ignore them based on the concept that what anyone did in the past or says in the present is meaningless and we can never know what anyone thinks no matter what or how often they tell us they are thinking...so it's more likely than not the opposite is the case.

Favre played past his best years because he's a selfish, self absorbed individual who always attempte to live life on his terms. Always was that way, and not just on the field. Tom has been the anthesis of that. Warner was a prolific passer when surrounded by exceptional talent and not pressured. When injured or not surrounded by exceptional talent or pressured he was a mistake waiting to happen not to mention a sitting duck waiting to be injured. He was fortunate that AZ drafted Lienart. He's not the brightest bulb on the planet, and he's never been terribly accountable on the field. Brady is his anthesis, too. But Warner was smart enough or the concussions scared him enough to know it was time to quit while he was still ahead, barely.

Bill and Tom have a lot in common. Both are perfectionists addicted to a game, still performing at the top of theirs and still enjoying the hell out of the whole process right down to the minutae. Players and coaches leave because they burn out mentally or wear out physically or both or become complacent and disinterested in the minutae and start to rest on their laurels often wearing out their welcome in the process. I'd be interested to see what signs of anything like that you see emerging in Tom or Bill's case, because frankly I don't see any in either.

Now, health or injury concerns can appear out of nowhere and derail anyone's clear intentions. Whether they're 60 or 34 or 22... But barring either of those befalling either of them, I don't see any rationale for opining that they will probably or likely be done here any time soon beyond projecting your own feelings (I've done enough, made enough, want to try something else or just enjoy the fruits of my labors) onto guys who obviously aren't wired that way. Believe me, show me the money and I'd retire happily in a heartbeat. But then I've never had a career that fascinated me.

Bill likes to fish and golf a little and spend time with his kids often related to sports and coaching. Tommy likes to golf and surf a little and travel and spend quality time with his supermodel wife and the boys. Neither of them appear to be in any rush to do any or all of those things full time. Brady has repeatedly stated (especially since missing the 2008 season) that he can't imagine what would ever replace football in his life. He hopes and intends to play to or into his 40's. He knows some day something will have to replace football, but he has no clue what that could be. Nothing has in Bill's life for 38 years now. Ergo I think they will both do what they do for as long as they can do it on an acceptably high level, and then they will move on and figure out if there is something else to replace it or if it finally just ran it's course. And neither one will hang around when the time has come because they aren't self absorbed jackasses or opportunists in it for the money.

Favre played past his best years because he's a selfish, self absorbed individual who always attempte to live life on his terms. Always was that way, and not just on the field. Tom has been the anthesis of that. Warner was a prolific passer when surrounded by exceptional talent and not pressured. When injured or not surrounded by exceptional talent or pressured he was a mistake waiting to happen not to mention a sitting duck waiting to be injured. He was fortunate that AZ drafted Lienart. He's not the brightest bulb on the planet, and he's never been terribly accountable on the field. Brady is his anthesis, too. But Warner was smart enough or the concussions scared him enough to know it was time to quit while he was still ahead, barely.

Favre led the Packers to a 13-3 record in 2007, and lost the NFCCG in overtime to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants. In 2008, he had the Jets at 8-3 before he got hurt. He was a Pro Bowl QB who was an MVP candidate in 2009, his second-to-last season, and guided another team to the NFCCG before losing, again, to the eventual Super Bowl champions in overtime. The notion that he was selfishly playing past his best years is, at best, misleading.

I'm starting to notice that you seem rather obsessively focused on "rump swabbing." :eek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

He's probably an Ohrnberger fan;)

Bill likes to fish and golf a little and spend time with his kids often related to sports and coaching. Tommy likes to golf and surf a little and travel and spend quality time with his supermodel wife and the boys. Neither of them appear to be in any rush to do any or all of those things full time. Brady has repeatedly stated (especially since missing the 2008 season) that he can't imagine what would ever replace football in his life. ...

Okay at the risk of being obvious (not to mention gratuitous)...
You know that "my husband cannot catch the ball and throw the ball at the same time" thing? Nothing to do w/the game. It was innuendo.

Gisele_Bundchen.jpg

So I'm thinking if he was just knocking about the house and got bored, well, maybe, just maybe he could figure out what to do for a little while....

Of course it is also true that

meh.ro6384.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I think Brady will remain far and away the best option at starter for this team for at least another 4-5 seasons

Hope you're right, I would take that in a heartbeat as long as there's not a dramatic fall in ability. If he could go that long at around 2003 form even, I see 2 more rings for us in the next 5 years given the current roster and the direction it's heading.

i keep saying, keep brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 i want mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

w.....t....f...???

What's important in a transition is to have as much quarterback controversy as possible. :rolleyes:

It's not the physical side of the game that's changed with Brady. It's the mental side of the game, i.e. the decison making, the lack of executing basic throws etc. that's changing. TB's decision making in big games against good defenses has declined over the past few years. It's nice that they're adding more weapons to this Colt offense but it's not going to matter if the guy throwing the ball makes bad decisions/bad throws at the wrong time.

Really? Over 5,000 yards, 39 TDs, a Super Bowl appearance in which a catch here, a healthy Gronk there was the difference, and you question Brady's decision making? Really?

If anything, Brady's making better, quicker decisions and throwing to a more diverse group of receivers than any QB in the NFL.

The receiving corps will be better this coming season and able to give Brady more help than the 2011-12 edition. Brandon Marshall alone changes the equation substantially for the better.

We are so fortunate to be watching one of the top five QBs ever to play the game. Brady executes an offense and reads a defense as well as anyone who ever played his position. Appreciate this while you can.

I know what he's done and I know what he's said. Those aren't opinions. You simply choose to ignore them based on the concept that what anyone did in the past or says in the present is meaningless and we can never know what anyone thinks no matter what or how often they tell us they are thinking...so it's more likely than not the opposite is the case.

Bill and Tom have a lot in common. Both are perfectionists addicted to a game, still performing at the top of theirs and still enjoying the hell out of the whole process right down to the minutae. Players and coaches leave because they burn out mentally or wear out physically or both or become complacent and disinterested in the minutae and start to rest on their laurels often wearing out their welcome in the process. I'd be interested to see what signs of anything like that you see emerging in Tom or Bill's case, because frankly I don't see any in either.

Now, health or injury concerns can appear out of nowhere and derail anyone's clear intentions. Whether they're 60 or 34 or 22... But barring either of those befalling either of them, I don't see any rationale for opining that they will probably or likely be done here any time soon beyond projecting your own feelings (I've done enough, made enough, want to try something else or just enjoy the fruits of my labors) onto guys who obviously aren't wired that way. Believe me, show me the money and I'd retire happily in a heartbeat. But then I've never had a career that fascinated me.

Bill likes to fish and golf a little and spend time with his kids often related to sports and coaching. Tommy likes to golf and surf a little and travel and spend quality time with his supermodel wife and the boys. Neither of them appear to be in any rush to do any or all of those things full time. Brady has repeatedly stated (especially since missing the 2008 season) that he can't imagine what would ever replace football in his life. He hopes and intends to play to or into his 40's. He knows some day something will have to replace football, but he has no clue what that could be. Nothing has in Bill's life for 38 years now. Ergo I think they will both do what they do for as long as they can do it on an acceptably high level, and then they will move on and figure out if there is something else to replace it or if it finally just ran it's course. And neither one will hang around when the time has come because they aren't self absorbed jackasses or opportunists in it for the money.

Mo. What's the problem? I said I had no argument with you since I couldn't prove that you were wrong, even if I looked at the same set of data through different eyes. That's gotta be the longest defense of an un-argued position I've ever read. You talk about "Bill and Tom" as though you know them personally. Maybe you indeed do. I just admit that I don't.

Chill! It's possible for reasonable people to look at the same set of data and see it differently when it requires speculation about things we might think we know, but actually don't know.

On Favre, I think that the difference between Favre and Brady isn't necessarily what you posit, though it might play a role. I think the main difference between Favre and Brady is that Brady defines his experience more broadly in terms of how he goes about his observable daily life and that that could, once again without knowing that it will, influence how he thinks about his "life after football." Hanging around at the Met's gala here in the City last week and tripping around Europe with Gisele is a lot different than slopping the hogs in east bum**** or wherever it is that Lord Faavregaard lives...not that there's anything wrong with slopping hogs in east bum****. :)

Last edited:
I keep saying, keep Brady as long as possible, but at a reduced work load. By 2014 I want Mallet to be starting 5 or 6 games to keep Brady as healthy as possible for the play offs.

I don't think that's the way it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back