PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss Take on why Meriweather got limited reps last week..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meriweather came into this league and quickly had to fill Rodney's shoes. Then he snuck into the pro-bowl last year even furthering his ego. I hope he'd be able to be more humble and look at his career long term, but if he keeps acting like he doesn't need to get himself and the team better then he won't be on the team much longer.

I don't see the big deal. Meriweather is a pretty good safety. He's an above average starter, in hindsight not round 1 material, but less of a liability than what most of the league has to offer.

I'd bring him back at the right price, but he's replaceable.

Parcells made a career of playing head games with players like this. BB just gets different players.

He's building a team with character. If Meriweather isn't going to conform, he's gone. After we've replaced him, that is.

Hell, he's supposed to be a leader here.

I'm sorry, but that's not quite accurate. Meriweather brings a lot to our defense as our deep, center-field safety - however most people don't notice because if Meriweather does his job right (given his responsibilities this year) his name shouldn't get called.

The patriots defense is first in the league at preventing deep passes (passes over 40 yards). They have let up one pass over 40 yards all year.

Since deep passes don't get completed on us, teams are forced to go for intermediate or short-length passes, which allows us to play the bend-but-don't-break defense BB loves.

Considering Meriweather's job back there is to provide deep coverage, I'd have to say he's doing a pretty solid job. In fact, considering the number of snaps Meriweather gets despite his maturity issues, I would say that BB would probably sit him a lot more if he didn't think he was an indispensible part of the defense.

We dont play 10 with Meriweather, we play with 9 since he is taking down his own teammates

Heck of a tackle by Meriweather on McCourty. Now if he could tackle the guy on the other team.....

Heck of a tackle by Meriweather on McCourty. Now if he could tackle the guy on the other team.....

I understand when he runs away from RB like all day, just like when Maroney step out when he meets a LB, but its ridiculous Meriweather being afraid of a 5,10 WR just like was ridiculuos see Maroney runing away of a 5'8 CB just cause he ''has his issues''

same player lomo than meriweather . worst back to back 1 round in pats history?

31 did make a game ending pick. Not his fault that there was a hands to the face penalty.

I understand when he runs away from RB like all day, just like when Maroney step out when he meets a LB, but its ridiculous Meriweather being afraid of a 5,10 WR just like was ridiculuos see Maroney runing away of a 5'8 CB just cause he ''has his issues''

same player lomo than meriweather . worst back to back 1 round in pats history?
You mind Trolling another board for a change.

31 did make a game ending pick. Not his fault that there was a hands to the face penalty.

Doesn't matter...these subhumans wouldn't give him credit if he cured cancer. The only thing missing from this thread is Captain Stone being a d-bag.

From what I've observed Merriweather has regressed over the last year. He's a poor tackler, takes too many bad angles to plays and free lance/gambles way too much.
In the midst of his 4th year in this system and he's still quite inconsistent.
I expected more from him in terms of his development as a playmaker.

Doesn't matter...these subhumans wouldn't give him credit if he cured cancer. The only thing missing from this thread is Captain Stone being a d-bag.

Well he didn't cure cancer and that INT didn't count. His game has regressed. You sound like a stalker.

Meriweather is better at tackling McCourty than Green Bay Packer wide receivers.

Well he didn't cure cancer and that INT didn't count. His game has regressed. You sound like a stalker.

Yes, he has. But the sheer delight you "people" take in his regression is what is stalker like.

Dude, I've been around here for a long time and, aside from my blinding hatred for the Jets and their fans, I'm pretty even keeled. I certainly take no pleasure in the erosion of Merriweathers game. Frankly, its rather perplexing! Not sure why posting a rather straight forward observation and opinion would raw such venom? As a life long Pats fan (since Steve Grogans rookie year) it would make me far happier if he were exceling the way I hoped and thought he would!

Not sure why posting a rather straight forward observation and opinion would raw such venom?
The truly blind homers see no fault with this team whatsoever! Thus, not one individual on the 2010 Patriots roster is due any criticism whatsoever!

Dude, I've been around here for a long time and, aside from my blinding hatred for the Jets and their fans, I'm pretty even keeled. I certainly take no pleasure in the erosion of Merriweathers game. Frankly, its rather perplexing! Not sure why posting a rather straight forward observation and opinion would raw such venom? As a life long Pats fan (since Steve Grogans rookie year) it would make me far happier if he were exceling the way I hoped and thought he would!

BelizePats - I don't think the above comments were reallly aimed at you.

Meriweather didn't have a great game tonight - I don't think anyone is trying to say that the play where he took a bad angle and ran into McCourty was good.

I think in general the frustration that I and a few other posters have had with some commenters on this board is that Meriweather has essentially become a target of a disproportionately large amount of criticism compared to his quality of play.

Meriweather, by and large, has had a strong NFL career, and while his stats this year are a little less impressive than they were this year, he has still been an ironman for this team (pretty sure he played almost every snap of every game last year, he's played almost every snap of every game this year when he hasn't been sat by BB for disciplinary reasons)

And most of the time, when BM does his job, nobody notices, since he's playing the deep coverage safety for our defense. Tonight - he screwed up, in a pretty big way, and it resulted in a TD and made himself look pretty stupid. The problem is that people don't see that 99% of the other plays where a qb looks to throw a deep ball and meriweather's coverage prevents him from throwing it and he's forced to check down to a shorter or more intermediate route - that's Meriweather playing effective defense.

Meriweather made a mistake tonight, and he has regressed since playing like an all-world safety for the first half of last season, and it is disappointing. But you know who else makes mistakes and suffers setbacks? Every other DB on the roster (with the possible exception of Devin McCourty)

Peyton Manning victimized Pat Chung (of whom i am also a big fan) for two quick tds to Austin Collie in the Colts game and that allowed the Colts to come storming back - if Meriweather had let up those tds this board would have been calling for his head.

Sanders has played unbelievably well this year, but every year before this one, he routinely frustrated people by being a step slow and allowing big plays.

Bottom line is Meriweather is a solid player for the pats, and I am of the opinion that if you replaced him with an average-to-decent safety our defense would suffer for it. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized when he screws up - it should just also mean that people should appreciate what he brings to the table just as much as they hate what he takes away from it.

A very well reasoned and level headed response. Thank you!
Respects,

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back