PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Pennel released

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will play all along the line but he’s not a DT just like gronk was not a WR when he lines up wide
Well, what’s understood doesn’t need to be said now then, does it?

Yes but my view is based upon how Belichick has used ever player he has ever had in that size bracket. So I’m trusting that.

Regardless Bennett has nothing to do with that DT position in nickel base in early downs which is the weakness we were discussing.
Bennett will play DT in the 4 man front a lot.

I expect us to acquire a biggie DT.

When we run the 34, Shelton in the the middle, with Guy and presumably Bennett as the DE's. I'm fine with that. With our LB, our front can be very strong. The enabler is that Shelton seems to be much better than in 2018. However, Shelton was supposed to be the backup to Pennel.

Who are the backups when running the 34, at DT and at DE?

I suppose the Cowart is a backup DE, and perhaps even Butler. The issue is in the center. Who are our 310+ biggies?

Last edited:
How would cutting a dL prove that they are going to abandon the nickel base? Or did I misunderstand you?

This release had nothing to do with scheme. It was a numbers situation all along. I liked Pennel, but feel very good about who is staying. Pennel and Harris were released now for the same reason Ryan was - Belichick likes to give veterans a chance to latch on with another team before the mass cutdown this weekend. All three will find a home before opening day.

I expect us to acquire a biggie DT.

That's an interesting expectation. Maybe, if someone is out there. But I see a faster, more versatile front seven with linebackers who have size and can cover being the emphasis in this defense. They've shown already how fast they can get to the QB, and I think they see guys like Mahomes as the ones to contain and hit as a bigger deal than stuffing the run. Mayo and Steve Belichick have shown a lot of six and seven man fronts in preseason with various combinations of players rushing or staying in lanes. I don't see a Vince Wilfork type guy who demands a double team becoming available at this point.

What is interesting to me is that the offense is going run-first to continue last year's trend of increased reliance on rushing to reduce the number of times Brady has to carry the load in terms of moving the chains. They see a division and league loading up on pass rushing and can exploit that with a solid running and screen passing game. Belichick has always zigged when the other guys zag.

Agreed. We need a 3rd biggie.

It would seem that we need flexibility on the DL, flexibility to be able to run lost of sets as part of the various game plans.

I see the lack of a 2nd NT as an issue. As you said, perhaps Parry is making team. Also, perhaps Belichick sees potential NT backups out there to be signed or traded for.

I don’t know how it can be if we are going to play a nickel base. (I don’t know how we could revert back to a 4 dB base)
Even if (1) becomes more like (2) we need 3 of them. Who is the 3rd? Maybe I’ve been sleeping in parry.

I find the whole thing mysterious. What happened between the beginning of last season when (IIRC) the Jags were running for 5 or 6 yards between the tackles on first down, and the Super Bowl? I know that Gurley was injured, but still.
In the first 2 playoff games we got big leads. In the Sb we just played lights out.
We were 29th in ypc and gave up 150+ on the ground 5 times, 4 of them losses.

Based upon what? When have we ever played a 275 lb player at DT except in obvious passing downs?
Do you really think the best way to use Bennett is to have him eating double teams and being run at?

But we will see. I only hope you will admit when you are wrong, such as when you argued strenuously with me that Lacosse was going to play WR which we hopefully can agree on now.

This release had nothing to do with scheme. It was a numbers situation all along. I liked Pennel, but feel very good about who is staying. Pennel and Harris were released now for the same reason Ryan was - Belichick likes to give veterans a chance to latch on with another team before the mass cutdown this weekend. All three will find a home before opening day.
So you think parry beat him out?

I like the fact that BB doesn't get tied down by the money argument. He knows a sunk cost when he sees one and is determined to put the best team out there he can, even if it means admitting a roster move was a mistake and cutting bait rather than trying to salve his ego.

I don't know, but at least one sack I saw this preseason definitely came from 1 tech. He seemed to line up at 1 or 3 a fair amount.

I like the fact that BB doesn't get tied down by the money argument. He knows a sunk cost when he sees one and is determined to put the best team out there he can, even if it means admitting a roster move was a mistake and cutting bait rather than trying to salve his ego.
Isn’t every cut “admitting a roster move was a mistake”?

I don't know, but at least one sack I saw this preseason definitely came from 1 tech. He seemed to line up at 1 or 3 a fair amount.
That was 3rd and long with no other DL on the field not playing DT in base defense on early downs.

Pennel wasn't going to cut it, neither is Parry.

We need another NT. Shelton alone is NOT enough.

Not on the level of a FA you JUST signed being cut.
Most everyone getting cut is either a fa you signed or a player you drafted.
I don’t think any coach in the league makes roster decisions based on how it makes the original transaction look. They don’t care about stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3