PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi: "Be Patient with Mac Jones" (no need to rush)

Good coaching played a role.

Yeah Mac was coached by Sarkisian who was a former NFL coordinator for the Falcons. I'm real excited about Mac. Would rather we set this kid up the next 15 years and not rush anything unnecessarily. But it will be fun when he is ready.

But they also need to be developed by doing. Sit over there and watch the guy none of the other 31 teams wanted play your position, does nothing to help that.
Which may or may not come this year.

We could see a 2000 Ravens Tony Banks/Billick situation. Banks plays OK for the first few games but has a couple of bad games and Billick gives him the hook and goes to a more conservative/conventional Trent Dilfer.

We could see a 2000 Ravens Tony Banks/Billick situation. Banks plays OK for the first few games but has a couple of bad games and Billick gives him the hook and goes to a more conservative/conventional Trent Dilfer.

If Cam plays poorly for a couple weeks straight in the regular season, literally no one here will be defending the guy. Cam has no cushion left even for people backing him to start the season.

I cannot believe Bill Belichick will accept not putting his best team on the field.
Very different from 2000 Ravens. Dilfer was a cast off. Jones is the future.

I cannot believe Bill Belichick will accept not putting his best team on the field.

Belichick does put the best team on the field. He's always done this. He's objective and ruthless and it doesn't matter if you're a 7th round pick or undrafted guy playing over a 1st round pick or a guy with a bigger contract.

So this will be really fun seeing you trying to reconcile this when Bill Belichick starts Cam Newton as QB as he has been saying over and over.

Belichick does put the best team on the field. He's always done this. He's objective and ruthless and it doesn't matter if you're a 7th round pick or undrafted guy playing over a 1st round pick or a guy with a bigger contract.

So this will be really fun seeing you trying to reconcile this when Bill Belichick starts Cam Newton as QB as he has been saying over and over.

If he does he is making a mistake.

If Cam plays poorly for a couple weeks straight in the regular season, literally no one here will be defending the guy. Cam has no cushion left even for people backing him to start the season.

No question.

He'll grab some pine for sure.

Bill (or any responsible coach) will play the QB which gives the team the best chance to win a Super Bowl.

If he doesn't think Mac is ready, he won't play him. If he does, he will.

Pretty cut n dry, no?

Bill (or any responsible coach) will play the QB which gives the team the best chance to win a Super Bowl.

Pretty cut n dry, no?

Not for andy. When 8-ring Belichick starts Cam he's going to insist Belichick is wrong. Unfortunately I think a couple here will be perversely rooting for the Pats to play poorly when Cam starts.

Not for andy. When 8-ring Belichick starts Cam he's going to insist Belichick is wrong. Unfortunately I think a couple here will be perversely rooting for the Pats to play poorly when Cam starts.

I will 100% think belichick is wrong if he makes that mistake. Implying you must agree with everything he decides is curious coming from you. So I guess you are rooting for the patriots to lose under McDaniels is fired?

Eh…it’s really hard to take you seriously and believe you’ll have any objectivity. You’re on here chest thumping about a 9-attempt performance against a second-string defense in a preseason game, acting like it’s more important than the 7 attempts we just saw a week before against a first team defense, 368 attempts last season, and an entire subpar career post-2015.

Really? Nine attempts against total scrubs, and you’re on here with a loudspeaker declaring how right you’ve been?

And your take that Cam is only good on 10-15 yard bullet passes is absurdly wrong. That’s precisely where he struggles and really where all of the accuracy issues become big. You’re just using 3-4 passes from one game, where he has four seconds, steps into the throws, and finds open receivers going against bubble roster guys from Philadelphia.

Pretty cut n dry, no?
Assuming he makes the right call.

Weasel GIF by The Suicide Squad

By your logic Bill has made the right decision not playing Butler in SB 52. That was clearly what was best for the team.

Bill has made plenty of wrong decision in the last 20 years. I truly believed playing Cam is one. Since Brady has left Bill has come in the business of rewarding mediocrity. I find truly mind boggling that Cam has been handed the starting job with his performance last year and didn’t need to earned it. Bill handed him the job on silver plater.

this team isn’t winning the SB this year either with Cam or Mac so play the rookie this year to develop him so he can be really good in 2022. Otherwise you will lose 2021 and 2022.

So your position is 8-ring belichick was right when he let Brady walk, when he benched Malcom Butler, when he drafted Harry, and had him playing ahead of Meyers last year right? Because since he makes the decision it must be correct?

Eh…it’s really hard to take you seriously and believe you’ll have any objectivity. You’re on here chest thumping about a 9-attempt performance against a second-string defense in a preseason game, acting like it’s more important than the 7 attempts we just saw a week before against a first team defense, 368 attempts last season, and an entire subpar career post-2015.

Really? Nine attempts against total scrubs, and you’re on here with a loudspeaker declaring how right you’ve been?

And your take that Cam is only good on 10-15 yard bullet passes is absurdly wrong. That’s precisely where he struggles and really where all of the accuracy issues become big. You’re just using 3-4 passes from one game, where he has four seconds, steps into the throws, and finds open receivers going against bubble roster guys from Philadelphia.
Yeah maybe the Patriots need to trade for Brisset back. After all he was 8/8 with a TD the other day

Guy Cam throws wicked fast bullet passes between 10-15 yards. Super fast like zooooooom!

Andy wants/thinks BB to start Mac because he thinks he's the better than Cam and for no other reason than that.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back