PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Lombardi: "Be Patient with Mac Jones" (no need to rush)

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
"[Lombardi] preached the importance of patience when considering when to play a rookie signal-caller.

“If you’re Belichick, do you put Mac in to start the season?” Lombardi asked. “And then if Mac struggles and doesn’t look good, are you going to bench him? And then how will you get him back again? How do you renew his confidence? You’re better off being patient. You’re better off letting the crops in the field grow. You’re better off letting it have a little more time to sink its roots.”

Lombari was just at Pats practice a day or two ago talking to Belichick for an extended period. I believe I saw a reporter (Reiss?) characterize it as "Belichick spent much of practice conversing with Lombardi."

Therefore - this is a plant, Lombardi is saying this to convince Flores that Cam is the week 1 starter but it's really gonna be Mac.

"[Lombardi] preached the importance of patience when considering when to play a rookie signal-caller.

“If you’re Belichick, do you put Mac in to start the season?” Lombardi asked. “And then if Mac struggles and doesn’t look good, are you going to bench him? And then how will you get him back again? How do you renew his confidence? You’re better off being patient. You’re better off letting the crops in the field grow. You’re better off letting it have a little more time to sink its roots.”

As a previous rep said what is he learning under Cam this isn’t Tom.

all conjecture now, or after preseason games, means nothing. I fully expect Cam to do some good things in preseason.
I fully expect BB to play him the entire MIA game. But, he's going make at least 5 bad plays. The pressure will mount, BB will be spitting vinegar at the podium saying "Cam is our starter". Then by week 3, if Mac hasn't already entered the game due to Cam getting hurt, I don't think anyone will want to keep watching Cam make the same mistakes and even BB will be dreading the deja vu that we're all going to experience with Cam.
Whether it's week 2 or week 5 or week 10, Mac WILL play this year!

Bill said Cam was his starter last year, till he was benched. Sure, some benchings were due to COVID or minor injuries, but some definitely were due to performance.

The only way to win with Cam is to do the 2018-style trench warfare approach, and even then you are vulnerable to him getting injured (which happens a lot with an aging body) or getting stalled on 3rd and long when Cam can't thread a pass into a tight spot down field or panics and throws the short screen past the RB/TE.

I'm in the camp that says "let's get on with it". Maybe BB feels he needs to stick with Cam due to commitments or because he thinks he can perform at a higher level than we've seen, but I doubt that lasts very long. I think we'll see Mac right around Game 5, after the TB challenge, when we'll see HOU, DAL, NYJ in a row. Maybe he'll let Cam play a few more, but if we're below .500 at Halloween then I'm confident Mac will be in. Maybe even it'll be clear by end of training camp and BB will bite the bullet. Mac is performing at a strong level and waiting won't change things IMO.

I like this insane idea that the starting QB is in charge of training the other QBs on the roster.
It’s more about what does he learn watching Cam?
Their playing styles couldn’t be more different.
It already appears Jones Is ahead of Cam on the mental intricacies of this offense.
Cam can teach him to break a tackle run for a first down and be a loved leader.
Ok Mac is already known as a great leader and Mac will never be the QB to power thru a defender over a yard in any situation.

Start Cam games 1-3 and then assess with the intention to start Mac if Cam is not up to snuff.

If Cam is playing well, he finishes the season (barring injury)

Mac's team moving forward after that

I'm only prepared to make one prediction about when Mac will play: on the third offensive series tonight, on 2nd down with no notice to simulate an injury situation.

I'm only prepared to make one prediction about when Mac will play: on the third offensive series tonight, on 2nd down with no notice to simulate an injury situation.

There you are. Thought you disappeared.

Start Cam games 1-3 and then assess with the intention to start Mac if Cam is not up to snuff.

If Cam is playing well, he finishes the season (barring injury)

Mac's team moving forward after that
This would not surprise me. You don't want a Tua situation on your hands, when the kid is put in before he's ready, and you need to bench him back for the vet.

I think this is Cam's team to start the year, and it will be Cam's team as long as they are in contention. The first half of the schedule is pretty light. The team should be over .500 by midseason if they win the games they're supposed to win. That keeps Cam at the helm for most of the year.

The only scenario outside of injury where I see Jones starting meaningful games earlly if disaster strikes and Cam stinks it up. Say we lose to Miami at home, New Orleans, Tampa, Dallas and LA. In this situation, I can see Belichick pulling the trigger while the pressure is low.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back