SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Eagles
Sun
Nov 17th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Result
The Ravens made a couple of key plays and handed the Patriots their first loss of the 2019 season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Mike Freeman - Gronk comeback?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TommyBrady12, Jun 5, 2019.

1. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,210
    My wife asked me how long it would take me to to get to the week 1 version.

I (deadpanned back to her) based on the change from 1-4, perhaps 5-7 weeks :D

Would it be fair to ask her to look like Monica Belluci? (Yes, pulling in the old Casual Chat thread)

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Tb12goesinya

Tb12goesinya Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +854
    I'm not exactly sure about the science behind muscle fibers and their memory.. but what I do know is that 2 months of protein, creatine, heavy lifting, and a calorie surplus will get him looking just about as gronk-like as he did in Feburary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. patfanken

patfanken PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22,427
    A thought occurred to me the other day when I saw the "skinny" Gronk picture of that seemed to doom the possibility of him coming back. I thought what if Gronk didn't come back as a TE, but rather a WR. :eek:

Think about it. a 235lb Gronk, running a 46 something on the outside. What a target. 6'6, great hands being covered by 5'10" CB's. Who cares if they are faster and quicker than him. No more pass blocking 270lb edge rushers. No more blocking 290lb run defenders. fewer passes being thrown to him where he can be crushed by multiple defenders

So maybe next year when the competition bug hits him, Gronk will return, but THIS time not as the drudge hard working moth of a TE, but the preening butterfly of a WR. ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. patriot1136

patriot1136 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Love it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +74,616
    Fair yes, but I wouldn't suggest it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,296
    At his age, probably accurate. I worked out with a 26 year old guy from work last winter. We hit it hard for 2-3 months. 8 weeks in, he's shredded, while I have a slightly a little more definition, but it took me 4 months to even approach what he did in 2. I'm 53 now, so I was 52 then.

Gronk's not in the "no way" category yet, but he's close. If he starts in August, he could be ready. But I think there's no way he's coming back.

7. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,384
    Why do you believe he would attempt to do this?

8. SammyBlueCat

Ratings:
    +11,384
    LOL at the new thread title

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tb12goesinya

Ratings:
    +854
    Extra time would allow him to get his body into an ideal state of healing. Slim down in order to improve joint healing, flexibility, and muscle pliability. He might find it intoxicating to play for the greatest team of all time, I just wouldn't rule that out as quickly as most people seem to be.

10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,716
    Ive seen a picture of him and its hard for me to believe he could lose that much muscle mass in six months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SammyBlueCat

Ratings:
    +11,384
    He has already retired here is why:

Rob Gronkowski injury history and analysis

He is not trying to heal himself so he can throw himself right back into the fire so to speak.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Zuma

Zuma Happy Endings PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,104
    I'd love for him to come back as well...but most of his back issue will never go away...it's just not going to heal. The best he can do is lose weight so their is less stress on it...just like he's been doing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +33,047
    In addition to working like a madman with weights it's safe to assume he was taking tons of supplements, perhaps with some PED assistance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +24,036
    Good for Gronk, He took a beating season after season, and he’s a big part of the dynasty. I hope he’s healthy and happy going forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,180
    Assuming the OP's premise 'Gronk starts in Sept - ready by Thanksgiving' and 6'6" 265 former player X is now (assumption) 235, then we will agree to disagree. Again assuming his weight is 235 and give him a full offseason of working out? At age 30 still unlikely but at least the window is wide enough to include an outside shot.

But let's put aside the science of optimal genetic potential muscle gain I pointed out in my last post and go to the juice potential. Assuming no NOR 19s/Devil's juice, just a 3 month cycle of test (which will perform the otherwise virtually impossible gain of muscle while erasing fat -- fyi along with growing your skeleton as well as providing the increase in red blood cells to assumingly shoulder the oxygen load needed for this kind of beyond genetics accelerated growth): Test at 500mg for 12 weeks. General optimal expectation: 15 pounds of muscle, let's say 13 pounds of net muscle weight minus water. a drop of 3 to 4 pounds of fat comes with it. However, let's say player X is the top of the mark. Let's say 20 pounds of muscle, net 18 minus water (the fat loss will still come but it's minimal, fyi it's part of the magic juice deal).
    To make it round numbers, everything is perfect and in 12 weeks magic juice puts him at 20 pounds heavier at 255. With the beyond genetic potential assistance even in 3 months he is not the player from the SB. and I'd say chances are zero he'll go to the juice. And if Juice can't do it? No offense but the science of non juiced potential isn't even on the same plane as juice potential.

Find the potentials, gain arcs etc here: Lewellyn - Anabolics, 11th Edition. This guy has devoted his life to the study as well as taking it. You can search these figures I provided and find them at multiple sources.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Tb12goesinya

Ratings:
    +854
    You sound like the Monalisa Vito of muscle atrophy. Good information. I think that recency plays a role, as in he was jacked 4 months ago and the micro fibers have a certain amount of memory and didn't completely dwindle away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. bbobbo

bbobbo 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4,419
    he's taking some different supplements now:

• Like Like x 2
  18. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50,465
    upload_2019-7-3_6-37-57.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50,465
    Looks like he’s trying to help the inflammation in his back. Good move.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,180
    Well I'm expert at this level = I know Atrophy sucks! :) (fyi, worry increases body's production potential of an anti inflammatory that increases Atrophy potential. So everyone don't worry about the Patriot victories. Moa Lisa Vito! :)). Where I know a little something is A.A.S.(anabolics) and that obviously will have lots of overlap for muscle.

Muscle memory is one of those that some believe in but it's basis in fact may or may not be. But I'd venture to guess a player of Gronk's continued working out (the only way to naturally stave off atrophy/keep muscle is minimum of maintenance weight lifting) for many years would me a 'muscles have memory' candidate.
    Ultimately I don't think many people realize the calorie intake needed to keep muscle. 5'11" 175lbs notably south of 10% body fat (not even NFL size)? approx. 5000 along with very regular lifting. You can't blame someone like Gronk to want to go back to regular, normal human eating schedule/amounts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1