PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Freeman - Gronk comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have no idea how building, maintaining or losing muscles works. He must also be eating a lot less.

You basically summed it up. Calories in, calories out. Exercise is important, but diet is king.

Gronks coming back.

I predicted this month's ago. There is plenty if time to lift weights and put on weight even after the season starts.

Brady is going to hound Gronk until he gives in and come back. You play football your whole life and its just not that easy to walk away.

Brady is going to hound Gronk until he gives in and come back. You play football your whole life and its just not that easy to walk away.

Subtract the last word in your post.

And think about it.

He just won his third ring. You've seen his medical history. I get it - - as a fan, these players are pieces on a board. But what's in it for HIM if he comes back - and what's the trade off, life-wise?

The workout in California was part of a charity event.

And think about it.

He just won his third ring. You've seen his medical history. I get it - - as a fan, these players are pieces on a board. But what's in it for HIM if he comes back - and what's the trade off, life-wise?

Facts are so stubborn

The workout in California was part of a charity event.
Yes, but charity begins at home so he's coming home to the Pats, yeah, Robbie G!

(he's not really coming back but fake news is stubborn, too.)

Man, the guy didn't have an ounce of fat to lose. I really have no idea how building, maintaining or losing muscles works. He must also be eating a lot less.

Nutrition is very important, no doubt. Without a nutrient-protein rich caloric surplus you will not be growing muscle organically(no AAS). However, in an already skeletal muscular hypetrophic(bulked lean muscle) state you cannot maintain that level of muscle without continued hypertrophy style weight lifting. Period, end of story.
And as we age the ability to maintain and grow muscle diminishes a little each year. 30 may seem young(and it is), however, your protein synthesizing, hormone production (total and free), GH/IGF1 production are all lessened while aromatase enzymes and cortisol production (items naturally working against lean skeletal muscle gain) increase. for a man this starts at age range 22-26. There are always outliers that these hurdles are still negligible by 30 but the chances are extremely slim that the hurdles aren't at least a tiny bit.
The upside for Gronk is he isn't trying to build the leanest of frames (say 10% or less body fat).Now putting on some fat? THAT! is something that can be done more rapidly :)

Nutrition is very important, no doubt. Without a nutrient-protein rich caloric surplus you will not be growing muscle organically(no AAS). However, in an already skeletal muscular hypetrophic(bulked lean muscle) state you cannot maintain that level of muscle without continued hypertrophy style weight lifting. Period, end of story.
And as we age the ability to maintain and grow muscle diminishes a little each year. 30 may seem young(and it is), however, your protein synthesizing, hormone production (total and free), GH/IGF1 production are all lessened while aromatase enzymes and cortisol production (items naturally working against lean skeletal muscle gain) increase. for a man this starts at age range 22-26. There are always outliers that these hurdles are still negligible by 30 but the chances are extremely slim that the hurdles aren't at least a tiny bit.
The upside for Gronk is he isn't trying to build the leanest of frames (say 10% or less body fat).Now putting on some fat? THAT! is something that can be done more rapidly :)

Not that this is Rob G related, but I made the experience that growing muscle while losing weight over a long period of time is still very possible (still high protein nutrition). It seems that strength and muscle relative to your bodyweight/body fat % is important. If you need to lose 5 pounds of fat and you are already extremely strong and muscular for your weight, it seems you will have a tough time to lose weight and gain muscles, you probably can only lose fat in that process. I was 6'2 250 pounds and fairly strong and but not very strong for that weight. Dropped down to 215 in a little more than a year and got a lot stronger and more muscular in the process (ok, must say I increased the workouts from 2-3 per week to 5 times per week). I agree with what you said though. Nutrition and workout go hand in hand and none work without each other.

Gronk looks like he could play if he wanted to.

And think about it.

All these guys play hurt and have had multiple surgeries.

The warriors mentality is to go out and try to slay the lion again. When the lion nearly eats you at this age is it time to leave. Gronk will be back.

Gronk looks like he could play if he wanted to.

He hasnt lost that much muscle.

Couple 3 weeks in the weight room and it all comes back after building your body your whole life.

He hasnt lost that much muscle.

Couple 3 weeks in the weight room and it all comes back after building your body your whole life.
It might take more than three weeks but it definitely can be done. When I was 39 I nearly had to have surgery for a herniated disc; I couldn't lift weights or run for over six months. It took about a month to get my strength and muscle back once I was able to resume training.

It might take more than three weeks but it definitely can be done. When I was 39 I nearly had to have surgery for a herniated disc; I couldn't lift weights or run for over six months. It took about a month to get my strength and muscle back once I was able to resume training.

Exactly.

These guys have the best trainers and weight guys on earth.

Not that this is Rob G related, but I made the experience that growing muscle while losing weight over a long period of time is still very possible (still high protein nutrition). It seems that strength and muscle relative to your bodyweight/body fat % is important. If you need to lose 5 pounds of fat and you are already extremely strong and muscular for your weight, it seems you will have a tough time to lose weight and gain muscles, you probably can only lose fat in that process. I was 6'2 250 pounds and fairly strong and but not very strong for that weight. Dropped down to 215 in a little more than a year and got a lot stronger and more muscular in the process (ok, must say I increased the workouts from 2-3 per week to 5 times per week). I agree with what you said though. Nutrition and workout go hand in hand and none work without each other.

It's the offseason, have you seen the threads? Anything slightly interesting is needed :).

If you can grow muscle while losing fat? You really really missed your calling in the workout industry. You belong in the freak category. I've heard a few say they did it. But Bulking(dirty gains) and cutting(lose fat while doing everything to hold what muscle you have) is the standard. It's generally accepted AAS is what has the near exclusive potential to nutrient partition in a way that will see fat loss while gaining muscle (even at high end medical hormone replacement therapy doses -- 150mg per week of a one week half life ester -- most will see some muscle gains while losing some fat sitting their ass on the couch :)).(so imagine the better gains if you have good nutrition and a good workout routine)

5 times a week is a lot if your doing 90+ minute workouts (assuming "bro splits" upper one day, lower next day). I'm guessing you are or were in your 20s/30s or you're just in great general shape for your age (if so it's enviable). I need my every other day off as I am not in my 20s:). Full every other day with an extra day skip every two weeks (I'm in general a hard gainer so little cardio).
I "heard" Arnold at one time (back in the day) did only 1 day per week per muscle group. Something like he'd hit 12 sets per muscle/muscle group just one day per week. Split into something like 4 on 1 off, insane. Pre-Arnold/pre AAS those guys supposedly would do full bodies every other day (but insanely long gym time on workout days) along with wack protein regimens of like 20 eggs per day. (ugh, no thanks :))

And think about it.

Maybe he enjoys playing football and going to Super Bowls?

Maybe he enjoys playing football and going to Super Bowls?

That's good for YOU.

He may want to live a few more decades without a wheelchair.

These ARE human beings, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back