PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Hurley - 2019 and 2013 patriots similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the comparison criteria. If you go by team composition, 2013 is similar. If you go by season trajectory, we're reliving 2015.

Of course, this time last year we were having the same conversations. I think that's the exception rather than the rule though.

It depends on the comparison criteria. If you go by team composition, 2013 is similar. If you go by season trajectory, we're reliving 2015.

Of course, this time last year we were having the same conversations. I think that's the exception rather than the rule though.
Yep

2015 averaged 23.7ppg over a stretch in which they went 3-5 over their last 8 (inc playoffs).

We are 2-3 in the last 5 and averaged 17.6.

Yep

2015 averaged 23.7ppg over a stretch in which they went 3-5 over their last 8 (inc playoffs).

We are 2-3 in the last 5 and averaged 17.6.

The problem is, much of our 17 reflects being set up by great field position by defense.

The problem is, much of our 17 reflects being set up by great field position by defense.
That too. Plus you have a couple of defensive scores in there.

Per Hurley, 13 could run the ball a bit, the 19 Patriots have shown ZERO ability to run against some of the worst defenses in the NFL....

The 2019 regular season offense has been lousy. Does not mean the playoff offense will be the same. Same holds true for the defense - match up, weather, turnovers, refs, bounce of the ball will all factor in to how they do. At the moment the offense is the weak link and may very well be what does them in but I would not count them out just yet. Get the 2 seed, hope to get a favorable division round opponent and maybe benefit from an upset and they can take their chances against whomever at home.

I am still in the "a functional offense can still gel out of this" camp if only because we were in the same boat a year ago. If Wynn get up to speed, Mason wakes up, McDaniels writes Harry into the offense a little more, Sanu heals, and Dorsett returns from this annual midseason vacation to the void, then I can see it mustering up 25 against Baltimore or KC.

My take is they are working every day to coach up your players they have, try to define the best roles for them and create a game plan that accentuates the strengths and covers up he weaknesses. No team has no weaknesses. It’s clear the coaching staff hasn’t done a very good job of game planning and play design with this group but it isn’t an incompetent collection of zeros. Brady is more than capable of turning this group of weapons into an effective offense if they can figure out how to protect him and design play calls and a game plan that creates open receivers.
The game always has been and always will be primarily about blocking and tackling. Start doing a better job of blocking and suddenly the blown up play that kills a drive becomes a 3rd down conversion or a big play and everything changes.

the car to attain is conceivably lower than ever as well because this defense is epically good.

Another crazy similarity is that year too there were 2 teams I saw us having a really hard time beating in the playoffs, Denver and Seattle. This year it’s Baltimore and sf, I think both could be very troublesome. All other years since then I really didn’t see any teams I could say I was genuinely worried going against other than it being a losable game.

2014 Seattle took a step back, plus we were a powerhouse
2015 was never sold on cam in a premier game, Denver’s offense was putrid
2016 we were a powerhouse again, AND no team concerned me whatsoever
2017 eagles lost their starter, who knew. We own Pitt
2018 kc and rams maybe in the first half of the season but they both faded down the stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back