PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the sentiment regarding Bennett. But Harris and especially Williams will be very important in 2020.

We need to find a way to upgrade OL/TE/WR and keep them on the roster.

I'd like Tommy to play all 19 games this year. Sometimes...just sometimes its more important fixing the leak in the dam before it breaks then planning on a new dam next year.

Yes, our situation is frustrating. However, I don't think the need is a roster spot for help. We could upgrade at TE or OL by replacing one of our existing players. We don't need to trade players who are low in the depth chart. There are always healthy, inactives. Let's look at the various situations.

OL, TE
As I indicated, we can upgrade if we wish to do so.

FB
We have an open roster spot. We can fill it, or not.

Harris
Harris is at the bottom of our RB depth chart. I see now reason to cut him because his isn't valuable in the 2019 offense. A top draft choice should be give at least some time to develop. Yes, it is disappointing that Harris isn't worth activating with Burkhead out, but I suspect that Harris isn't a top special teamer.

JoJuan
I simply don't understand your position. We activate 4 CB's for every game. JoJaun is the #5 in the depth chart, and therefore inactive. I expect him to be active if any of the CB's is inactive because of injury.

Bennett
Bennett is currently a very expensive backup. If someone were injured, he likely would gets lots more reps. A trade may be a good idea. The issue is value and fit. If BB doesn't see a lot of upside, then he should be traded and Cowart activated.

I don't know if Harris is a better player then Sony...but I do know he's better then an inactive Burkhead (meaning not on the 46 game day). Either play them (Bennett, Harris, Joejuan) or trade them. "But...but ...but Luxury" you say...tell that to Tommy next time he is planted 6 feet under. We need offensive linemen, tight ends, fullbacks...not 2nd and 3rd round pick luxuries that are either inactive the entire season or probowl players that are lucky to get on the field for 11 snaps. I get it's a nice defensive problem to have...until Tommy is destroyed in a brutal sack. Play them or trade them.

Disagree all you want...but you have to give up something to get something and we need offensive help.

OL, TE....if were not trading for replacements....then we should promote from the practice squad?

FB....if were not trading for replacements....then we should promote from the practice squad?

Harris....yes definitely do not cut him....I agree

JoJuan...my position is play him instead of Richards or an injured Ebner. Heck I'd even be ok with helping out at CB if Jackson is hurt....crazy talk right there.

Bennett...yes....very expensive backup...were in agreement.

Yes, our situation is frustrating. However, I don't think the need is a roster spot for help. We could upgrade at TE or OL by replacing one of our existing players. We don't need to trade players who are low in the depth chart. There are always healthy, inactives. Let's look at the various situations.

OL, TE
As I indicated, we can upgrade if we wish to do so.

FB
We have an open roster spot. We can fill it, or not.

Harris
Harris is at the bottom of our RB depth chart. I see now reason to cut him because his isn't valuable in the 2019 offense. A top draft choice should be give at least some time to develop. Yes, it is disappointing that Harris isn't worth activating with Burkhead out, but I suspect that Harris isn't a top special teamer.

JoJuan
I simply don't understand your position. We activate 4 CB's for every game. JoJaun is the #5 in the depth chart, and therefore inactive. I expect him to be active if any of the CB's is inactive because of injury.

Bennett
Bennett is currently a very expensive backup. If someone were injured, he likely would gets lots more reps. A trade may be a good idea. The issue is value and fit. If BB doesn't see a lot of upside, then he should be traded and Cowart activated.

More crazy talk...

OL, TE....if were not trading for replacements....then we should promote from the practice squad?

FB....if were not trading for replacements....then we should promote from the practice squad?

JoJuan...my position is play him instead of Richards or an injured Ebner. Heck I'd even be ok with helping out at CB if Jackson is hurt....crazy talk right there.

More crazy talk...

Hes stating the obvious.

Howe is pretty good, though.

OL
I don't think that Dante believes that anyone on the Practice Squad is better than those on the 53.

FB
I don't think that anyone on the Practice Squad is worth activating as a FB.

JoJaun
I don't think that either Richards or Ebner has had any defensive reps. What is the advantage of activating Jojuan instead of them? Both are much better STer's, at least in the opinion of the patriot staff.

More crazy talk...

So we agree....FB, TE need an upgrade and not via the Practice Squad. I believe that Joejuan just may be a better football player then Richards...I prefer he gets snaps on ST over Richards....I think he can provide more in the secondary then Richards. I like Ebner...but I would rather play younger players...youth movement....or trade them if they aren't playing...we desperately need help on the offensive side of the ball...despite what some think here.

OL
I don't think that Dante believes that anyone on the Practice Squad is better than those on the 53.

FB
I don't think that anyone on the Practice Squad is worth activating as a FB.

JoJaun
I don't think that either Richards or Ebner has had any defensive reps. What is the advantage of activating Jojuan instead of them? Both are much better STer's, at least in the opinion of the patriot staff.

Yes, we agree, with only one nitpick.

I agree that JoJaun could contribute much, much more in the secondary than Richards or Ebner. For me, that isn't the question. I don't expect Richards or Ebner to get any reps on defense, except perhaps for garbage reps at the end of the game.

For me, the issue is whether JoJuan is a better Ster than Richards, and therefor ehsould be active? I think that the answer is very clear to BB. The answer is Richards; otherwise, he wouldn't have acquired him.

So we agree....FB, TE need an upgrade and not via the Practice Squad. I believe that Joejuan just may be a better football player then Richards...I prefer he gets snaps on ST over Richards....I think he can provide more in the secondary then Richards. I like Ebner...but I would rather play younger players...youth movement....or trade them if they aren't playing...we desperately need help on the offensive side of the ball...despite what some think here.

Trade bait for a WR, instead of giving up draft picks...

Trade bait for a WR, instead of giving up draft picks...
Which team? The “on to 2020” teams are the usual obvious trade partners, but they aren’t going to have interest in an old player who may not be worth his 2020 contract. The Pats would have to find a team that thinks they’re a pass rusher away from contending but have a WR to spare.

Which team? The “on to 2020” teams are the usual obvious trade partners, but they aren’t going to have interest in an old player who may not be worth his 2020 contract. The Pats would have to find a team that thinks they’re a pass rusher away from contending but have a WR to spare.

agreed. There won't be much of a market for him if the Patriots even intend trading him which I don't expect.

I don't see a player for player trade; but, then I rarely do.

Trading for a draft choice makes much more sense. We would then use the draft choice to secure a WR. The bottom line is the same, but this is much easier to do.

agreed. There won't be much of a market for him if the Patriots even intend trading him which I don't expect.

Do Patsfans really care about things like Michael Bennett being unhappy?

It doesn’t bother me as long as they’re doing well. Since our defense couldn’t be playing any better, I don’t care how he feels.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just being honest

I don't know if Harris is a better player then Sony...but I do know he's better then an inactive Burkhead (meaning not on the 46 game day). Either play them (Bennett, Harris, Joejuan) or trade them. "But...but ...but Luxury" you say...tell that to Tommy next time he is planted 6 feet under. We need offensive linemen, tight ends, fullbacks...not 2nd and 3rd round pick luxuries that are either inactive the entire season or probowl players that are lucky to get on the field for 11 snaps. I get it's a nice defensive problem to have...until Tommy is destroyed in a brutal sack. Play them or trade them.

Disagree all you want...but you have to give up something to get something and we need offensive help.
We should have traded Brady his rookie year too. Great argument.

Do Patsfans really care about things like Michael Bennett being unhappy?

It doesn’t bother me as long as they’re doing well. Since our defense couldn’t be playing any better, I don’t care how he feels.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just being honest

I want him to be frustrated and let the opponent feel it.

Weird morning home getting kids off to school/potty training my two year old princess who spent the game quietly snuggling up with dad rather than jumping around in front of the television like her 4 foot tall 5 year old brother :D
I don't miss those days, but this brought a smile to my face. Good job dad.

Perhaps Bennett is doing OK in his relatively small number of reps. Being #7 in this DL
depth chart may simply mean that everyone else is playing better than Bennett.

Also, perhaps he isn't fitting in or learning as well as expected. That is not a showstopper, just an expensive choice that BB made. Bennett could be much improved by then playoffs or for the 2020 season.

I want him to be frustrated and let the opponent feel it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back