PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to discuss. Bennett is a 34 year old defensive lineman with a LOT of wear and tear on him. The SMART thing for this team to do is ration his playing time, ESPECIALLY while we are playing the softer part of our schedule so that he will be fresh for the harder part of the schedule and playoffs. It's as simple as that

Yeah, this is pretty much it. The D is playing so well that I'm glad they're able to limit his snap count. The best defenses all are able to rotate their front 7 pretty aggressively to keep their energy level up, and I'm psyched that the Pats can.

He’s fine. I don’t have an issue with snaps. They have packages and we counter. Some times that means he plays and other times he’s out.

I’m just hoping he’s benched for the super bowl. Need a little drama

Nitpicking much Sacks are coming from anywhere on our D. Been a while since the Pats have a Defense that can bring pressure from anywhere. Just look at the Sack totals Butler - Simon Collins -Van Noy and Winovich. We know Hightower and Bennett will get there's...did I say I love our Defense.

D = 13 points given up in 4 games
D = 3.25 points given up per game
D = #1 in sacks
D = #1 in INTs

View attachment 24463
yup...Do Your Job. Everyone does what they are asked to do and be in the role that BB has set for them and you get the stats above. Bennett might not have the stats but not doubt he is doing his job

1 of his pressures led to an INT yesterday

He has played well and he has played limited snaps. It’s a clear rotation on the D-line and it’s working well. He’s been disruptive in limited action and just so happened that it showed up on the stat sheet yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised if he sees more snaps in big games/postseason.

It's inappropriate to discuss a defensive player of interest and intrigue
yup...Do Your Job. Everyone does what they are asked to do and be in the role that BB has set for them and you get the stats above. Bennett might not have the stats but not doubt he is doing his job
Clearly all the INTs, Defensive TDs, and 3 and outs are frustrating Bennett

1 of his pressures led to an INT yesterday

Just rewatched some highlights and saw that. It was the JC toe-tap INT.

Good eye; Bennett had a big impact on that play.

Clearly all the INTs, Defensive TDs, and 3 and outs are frustrating Bennett

What leads you to believe that I think Bennett is frustrated?

He is okay. But it's a clear downgrade from Flowers.
He's actually better than Flowers. The difference is they play a 3-4 defense this year vs a 4-3 defense last year, and neither guy is an every down player in a 3-4 scheme.

He's actually better than Flowers. The difference is they play a 3-4 defense this year vs a 4-3 defense last year, and neither guy is an every down player in a 3-4 scheme.

They're not really playing a base 3-4 or 4-3, either this season or last.

Vast majority of their snaps are coming in formations that utilize 5+ DBs based on the nature of the game.

Their base is effectively a nickel, or variations thereof.

We’re not having any problem getting home on the edges. Why not use him as an interior sub-rusher for now until he gets better acquainted with the defense?
with the QBs we've faced we should not have had any trouble

To me, I see this as highly intelligent load management. Bennett is 34 years old and I believe is in the first year of a two year contract with the Pats. It's not like he's playing for his last big contract. Not at 34.
Preserve him and keep him fresh. It will pay big dividends in January and hopefully, early February.

We're leading the NFL in sacks and our defense is clearly the best in the league. I wish Bennett was performing to expectations so we could do better.

The three fatties have all played great. On running downs they are going 2-3 big DL with Van Noy, Collins, Simon & Winovich at OLB (an absurd rotation). Bennett's never been an OLB & isn't an early down DT. He's primarily done most of his damage from the inside in his career on passing downs & played the edge on early downs.

The result thus far is Bennett has replaced alot of Butler's role in 2017-2018 (which is an upgrade). If the defense wasn't loaded with OLBs & capable big men BB would probably adapt the D for him to have a bigger role.

He's a highly priced sub-rusher that's played well so far in a limited role. He will be worth it if he comes up big in big games.

They're not really playing a base 3-4 or 4-3, either this season or last.

Vast majority of their snaps are coming in formations that utilize 5+ DBs based on the nature of the game.

Their base is effectively a nickel, or variations thereof.
Base does not mean which alignment they play the most. Anyway the point is they almost never align DEs on the edges they way they did last year (they are aligning OLBs there), and thats Bennetts/Flowers natural alignment. Flowers wouldn't do or play any more than what Bennett is doing this year.

You're right. Why settle for best defense when you can have bestests.

Quick recap. Bestests>best.

You're right. Why settle for best defense when you can have bestests.

Quick recap. Bestests>best.

Appreciate the sarcasm but the premise of the thread was never, "Why isn't Bennett playing better? This defense could be even better and I'm FURIOUS".

The premise was, "Bennett was expected to be a big contributor/every-down-player here (at least by me, I can't speak for others). Why hasn't he been playing more, and what is his current role?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News