PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami releasing Suh - Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Miami (or any other team for that matter) would feel they had gotten good value if they gave the exact same contract to Hightower?

The fact that Suh didn't play up to his contract doesn't mean Hightower is the better player. There's absolutely no logical connection in your statement.
Correct, but his argument is that getting that contract doesn’t mean he is the better player either.

"As I said there is no point in continuing this conversation." - AndyJohnson, 5 (EDIT: Make that 6) posts ago

Nice to see some things never change.
Until he kept responding and gave me reason to continue. Duh.

That's funny because I'm pretty sure Suh will get paid more than anybody else in free agency this year, while Hightower wouldn't. So are you arguing that all the NFL evaluators don't know anything about football.

This is why I can't respect your arguments. You make these stupid baseless opinions that you can't and refuse to back up and then argue them like they are gospel. It's so tedious. And then you have the hubris to talk about intelligence when it's so evident you are just a biased fanboy.

Not getting into whos better between suh and Hightower but you can’t base the argument just over who makes more money. By this logic solder and butler are better players than Hightower and I think we’d agree that this isn’t true.

Do you think Miami (or any other team for that matter) would feel they had gotten good value if they gave the exact same contract to Hightower?

The fact that Suh didn't play up to his contract doesn't mean Hightower is the better player. There's absolutely no logical connection in your statement.

The other difference is that Miami needed to give Suh a huge contract like that to get him, while nobodies going to offer Hightower anything close to a contract like that.

Not getting into whos better between suh and Hightower but you can’t base the argument just over who makes more money. By this logic solder and butler are better players than Hightower and I think we’d agree that this isn’t true.
Listen everybody has an opinion on how good each player is. The only thing close to an objective argument are stats and consensus opinion. Suh has stats and via his numerous awards AND the market he commands, he also wins consensus

The other difference is that Miami needed to give Suh a huge contract like that to get him, while nobodies going to offer Hightower anything close to a contract like that.
I usually just grin and bear it when it comes to the homerism on this board. Many people - in any forum, not just patsfans.com - lose their perspective when discussing their favorite team's players.

I am not saying Suh is a good fit here.
I am not saying I want him here.
I am not saying he is worth the money it would take to bring him here.

But it cannot be intelligently argued that Hightower is the better player at his position than Suh is at his. All evidence, both objective and subjective, demonstrates otherwise. As you say, the only thing the pro-Hightower people have is "I've watched the games and watched film and I'm right and you're wrong so there!"

The pass rush was improved with VV coming off of IR and the signing of Shelton. We now have a solid rotational group on the LOS. Suh may improve the pass rush but spending the same cash on a veteran LB would have a bigger impact.

Sure, if Kuechly was healthy and available...or Bobby Wagner, maybe.

There are no LBs on the market who have remotely the defensive impact of Suh. Look, I don't much like the guy, but he's a stud DL. Athletically, he's way better than 95% of DLs out there.

There may be other problems, sure, but the guy is a beast. The best remaining linebacker? Zach Brown? Preston Brown? Yeah, Ill take either, or both for that matter, or Bowman if he's not toast, but the only other truly impact players available on D, to me, are Sheldon Richardson and Dontari Poe, and with Shelton in the fold, I don't think Poe fits.

Listen everybody has an opinion on how good each player is. The only thing close to an objective argument are stats and consensus opinion. Suh has stats and via his numerous awards AND the market he commands, he also wins consensus

One thing i will say in suhs favor is availability. Correct me if I’m wrong but besides suspensions he hasn’t missed a game due to injury. That’s pretty impressive considering he’s going into his 9th season.

Listen everybody has an opinion on how good each player is.

And some aren’t correct and some are wrong.

The only thing close to an objective argument are stats and consensus opinion.
Honest opinions are objective. You are confusing objectivity with winning a debate. The ability to document and price an opinion is not a requirement for it being correct. It may be a requirement to sway someone who disagrees but that is an entirely different matter.

has stats and via his numerous awards AND the market he commands, he also wins consensus
How exactly are you rating DTs vs LBs with stats?

We could do a really deep dive to show that awards are a ridiculous way to judge and evaluate players as well.

Sure, if Kuechly was healthy and available...or Bobby Wagner, maybe.

There are no LBs on the market who have remotely the defensive impact of Suh. Look, I don't much like the guy, but he's a stud DL. Athletically, he's way better than 95% of DLs out there.

There may be other problems, sure, but the guy is a beast. The best remaining linebacker? Zach Brown? Preston Brown? Yeah, Ill take either, or both for that matter, or Bowman if he's not toast, but the only other truly impact players available on D, to me, are Sheldon Richardson and Dontari Poe, and with Shelton in the fold, I don't think Poe fits.

My point is that imo our defensive LOS is solid. I think spending any cash on Suh would be better spent addressing the team's more pressing needs.

Suh Shelton and Brown solves all our interior woes...and opens up everything on the edge.

Make it happen

He’s looking to cash out, he isn’t getting it here.

He’s looking to cash out, he isn’t getting it here.
It’s difficult to see Belichick offering some type of 30-40m dollar contract (probably at best) to Suh, but I’ve stopped trying to figure this team out.

Unless he will take less $$..all for it...but if he wants the $$..it won't be here

Some bottom feeding NFL team will sign him for a ridiculous amount of money, and then in about a year cut him and have to absorb all of his dead money..

Then the scribes will come out and tell us how that bottom feeding NFL team won the offseason.. you can change his uniform, but he is still not a player I want to see on the Patriots..

Another Patriots "in the mix" theory.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore