PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami releasing Suh - Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suh wouldn't be brought in to compete with VV or Shelton. IF, big IF, the Pats were to go after him and land him, they'd be going to a 3-4 with Suh and Brown flanking Shelton-or-VV. With Guy behind them.

That would be my bet anyway.

I hadn't considered the 3/4 possibility but they run a 3/4 Over defense right now, which looks the same as a 4/3 but isn't.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to have him on our team but don't see it happening unless he just wants to win and signs a contact reflecting that. Both Brown and Suh are athletic enough to run an old school 4/3 and play end as well as play 3/4 end. I just don't see it because the modern game is so predicated on passing, big guys like them can only give you so much on special teams.

Imagine thinking this helps your argument.
Imagine thinking this would be an actual conversation amongst any other fan base. If it wasn’t a beloved Patriot on a Patriot board it wouldn’t be a discussion. Hightower would get a great contract, it wouldn’t be close to the one Suh got in 2015 or this coming one

Imagine thinking this would be an actual conversation amongst any other fan base. If it wasn’t a beloved Patriot on a Patriot board it wouldn’t be a discussion. Hightower would get a great contract, it wouldn’t be close to the one Suh got in 2015 or this coming one

So your argument is that crappy teams overpay for players all the time (that being a principal reason why they’re crappy in the first place), and this is somehow indicative of player quality, relatively speaking?

Do you think Miami feels they got good value out of the massive contract they gave Suh?

So your argument is that crappy teams overpay for players all the time (that being a principal reason why they’re crappy in the first place), and this is somehow indicative of player quality, relatively speaking?

Do you think Miami feels they got good value out of the massive contract they gave Suh?
No I’m saying one for one people would pay more for Hightower compared to his position market than Hightower compared to his.

Aka to the majority of the NFL Suh is regarded as a more exceptional player all things equalized. Suh is a player that when he retires we will wonder if his dirty play would keep him out of the HOF. Hightower is one of the most standup guys in the league, and he really won’t get close.

Edit I feel like Miami knew they’d have to pay premium for Suh and later adjusted. The thing is, if Suh took a pay cut and Hightower was a free agent and asked for the same thing, they’d go for Suh over Hightower

Honestly, Suh to Oakland makes a ton of sense.

The difference is my argument has substance and shows how Suh's play has been evaluated and perceived throughout his career compared to Hightower, while your argument has no value and boils down to "derp I watch film and my opinion matters more than any objective standard"
Let me get this straight. Your guess at what other people you don’t know would think is substance and an evaluation of the actual players playing football doesn’t?
This is totally backwards.

Andy despite our disagreements earlier, I do agree with you that Hightower is a better football player. Some people (including myself) just want Suh in NE because he’d improve the pass rush immensely; thus making the D better. As far as his taking plays off & being a dirty player I also agree with that to a degree. However, due to his talent alone, I’m willing to let BB deal with that.

The pass rush was improved with VV coming off of IR and the signing of Shelton. We now have a solid rotational group on the LOS. Suh may improve the pass rush but spending the same cash on a veteran LB would have a bigger impact.

The pass rush was improved with VV coming off of IR and the signing of Shelton. We now have a solid rotational group on the LOS. Suh may improve the pass rush but spending the same cash on a veteran LB would have a bigger impact.
Respect.

The Dolphins overpaid for Suh at the time, "bad teams overpay" is a simplification but it's true.

The same way the Patriots depth of talent spread out across the roster over the last 18 years has been a big reason for their success.

Let me get this straight. Your guess at what other people you don’t know would think is substance and an evaluation of the actual players playing football doesn’t?
This is totally backwards.
It shows a trend of what a consensus of evaluators think about a player to show an objective sample size rather than just doing something backwards like using your opinion as the whole argument

It shows a trend of what a consensus of evaluators think about a player to show an objective sample size rather than just doing something backwards like using your opinion as the whole argument
No it doesn’t. It shows what you think those people would think.

Your argument is that you have no evaluation of those players but you guess that football people would evaluate them in the way you chose to guess. You have less than nothing.

Your argument is that you have no evaluation of those players but you guess that football people would evaluate them in the way you chose to guess. You have less than nothing.
No because saying my opinion of an evaluation of players is the end all be all of the argument has no objectivity.

My opinion based off film is that Suh is much better and a greater asset to a team. That’s just not enough to rest an argument on

Do you think Miami (or any other team for that matter) would feel they had gotten good value if they gave the exact same contract to Hightower?

The fact that Suh didn't play up to his contract doesn't mean Hightower is the better player. There's absolutely no logical connection in your statement.

No because saying my opinion of an evaluation of players is the end all be all of the argument has no objectivity.
That’s not true. Opinions can be objective if they are done without agenda and open minded LT, which mine was.

My opinion based off film is that Suh is much better and a greater asset to a team. That’s just not enough to rest an argument on
Of course it is if you really believe that. AND if you actually did the film study and actually were capable of evaluating.
You didn’t do that you said you guess that football people would think that and did nothing to back that up either.

"As I said there is no point in continuing this conversation." - AndyJohnson, 5 (EDIT: Make that 6) posts ago

Nice to see some things never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore