PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

I am not shocked we lost him but shocked we lost him at that price point. I expected him to be 15+M. Maybe teams think because we had no alternatives his production was exagerated? He is a better receiver than his contract says IMO. Maybe teams just overprice flashy over boring production.

I want nothing to do with drafting a WR high. I would rather trade for one.

That's the million dollar question. If Patriots swing big then fine.

But if they let Meyers go and replace him with dorsett. Well that's poor management

I think Dorsett went to the Raiders, but I agree with your point.

If Meyers in 2023 goes 24/293/2 BB is a genius.

If Meyers in 2023 goes 79/910/6 BB is a jackass.

Let's talk after 2023 is over.

That all depends on what the player in Meyers place does.
Someone will fill the role he would have. And if we throw less to whoever fills that role because we are throwing more to a better threat that’s a good thing.

Here’s an example. Stevenson caught too many passes last year. A big chunk of them were check downs where throwing to WRs or even TEs would be more productive. If Stevenson left and his replacement caught half as many passes that would not be a bad thing. (Speaking strictly to the passing game).

That’s why I am happy to not pay Meyers 11 mill
a year. He brings nothing special to that role aside from being the guy in that role. Whoever replaced him is not going to represent a drop off that is significant. Let’s say Bourne gets Meyers role, snaps and targets. Did we really get worse? If we use that 11 mill to improve elsewhere we become a better team.

Someone will fill the role he would have. And if we throw less to whoever fills that role because we are throwing more to a better threat that’s a good thing.

Here’s an example. Stevenson caught too many passes last year. A big chunk of them were check downs where throwing to WRs or even TEs would be more productive. If Stevenson left and his replacement caught half as many passes that would not be a bad thing. (Speaking strictly to the passing game).

a year. He brings nothing special to that role aside from being the guy in that role. Whoever replaced him is not going to represent a drop off that is significant. Let’s say Bourne gets Meyers role, snaps and targets. Did we really get worse? If we use that 11 mill to improve elsewhere we become a better team.
I think that's accurate.

So, as an aside to my previous post if the Meyers production is replaced by a singular player or in the aggregate- great. If not, letting him walk was ill-advised.

This is likely what BB was thinking

The Patriots already have Bourne, Parker, and Thornton to be WR 1-3. Does giving Meyers $11m really move the needle on WR production?

Likely not if Parker stays healthy and Thornton improves over his rookie year. Of course those are possibly 2 big ifs.

This is likely what BB was thinking

The Patriots already have Bourne, Parker, and Thornton to be WR 1-3. Does giving Meyers $11m really move the needle on WR production?

Likely not if Parker stays healthy and Thornton improves over his rookie year. Of course those are possibly 2 big ifs.
Good way of stating it.

Is Thornton, Parker, Bourne in whatever order really worse than
Meyers Parker Bourne
Thornton Meyers Bourne
Thornton Parker Bourne.

Whoever may be added (a 1 2 3 or 4) doesn’t change that equation, at least not in favor of keeping Meyers.

Last year, like all years showed that a #4 WR really doesn’t get a lot of action.

WRs played 2807 snaps on 1052 plays. If 1,2,3 are healthy 4 barely needs to see the field.

Call me crazy but 700 yards with Cam seems sure to be a floor. 800 has been normal with Mac. He'll be open, he'll be where he's supposed to be, and he will by and large catch the ball. Now here's a nightmare. What if his numbers under Cam are similar to his numbers under Mac because those two guys just didn't have too different "number 1 receiver" capabilities. Then there would be another level of Meyers production we just couldn't see here. Well, good for him, I guess. If we can't get it out of him, god bless him for knocking down another couple hunnid yards and a couple more tuddies elsewhere. But I don't think LV thinks they're getting that... I just think the market for "reliable with possible upside" is now 11 million.

That kind of makes me think about the strategy of saying "go ahead and test the waters." This isn't a team managing a Brady menagerie and praying to pay enough top tier guys to keep TFB. It's a team happily cementing a high-performing defense, reigning over a consistently top flight ground game (once "extended pre season" was finally over) and considering the air game to be in need of a more jaundiced eye. Even the most reliable guy, right now, is (by our present info) "overpriced" In Patriots terms.

We didn't try to lock him up because we didn't attach that level of value to the reliable guy. Nope, he's a proven quantity with no sky-high upside and to us, that might be 7 or 8 m, but it's not 11 m. (The promise of a home run hitter looks genius if it comes through at a mere 11m APY but apparently paying that for proven tier 2 talent is unimaginable.)

The usual bafflement. I always like waiting for it all to make sense. Who's coming out from Lenoir Rhyne this year?

Call me crazy but 700 yards with Cam seems sure to be a floor. 800 has been normal with Mac. He'll be open, he'll be where he's supposed to be, and he will by and large catch the ball. Now here's a nightmare. What if his numbers under Cam are similar to his numbers under Mac because those two guys just didn't have too different "number 1 receiver" capabilities.

anybody have any idea what the crazy person from Va. is referring to when he cites "Cam"? LV has some QB named Cam on their roster? why would this "Cam" usurp Garropollo?

Great guy. Great story. Good receiver. Athletically very limited.
All true. But all he did was get it done.

Can we read into this what they’re hoping to do in the draft?

At this point, it'll be based on whether or not Jakobi stays healthy. The guy's gonna get open and catch the ball - that hasn't changed since his 1st TC. I wonder if injuries/illnesses affect cold weather teams more than warm weather teams (someone must've done a study sometime).

Plus, if he's getting the CB3 after Adams/Renfrow, Jakobi might feast.

That will never happen bottom line they could have kept Meyers based on what the LV Raiders paid again let the rebuild continue.

That will never happen bottom line they could have kept Meyers based on the Raiders paid again let the rebuild continue.
If he gets hurt it will.

If he gets hurt it will.
Are you kidding you talking about the Raiders rebuilding?? You know that McDaniels is undefeated against BB and they have a superior Offense to us yeah they are winning this year too that I am sure of.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back