PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers - Forgotten or undervalued?

I think a lot of us here like Meyers and think he could put up 1000 yards.
Well, he had 59 catches and over 700 yards last year despite missing 2 games, with HORRIBLE QB play. He has established himself as the THE slot receiver, and I think Jones will love throwing to him. I think he’ll have 80+ catches. The TEs and Meyers will be Jones’ security blankets.

I made the mistake of listening to barf radio today. I heard listener and 'hired gun" alike talk badly about the Pats WR position. Happy to hear I'm.wrong but I believe Meyers is being wrongly dismissed. This guy might not be a WR1 but am I wrong to think Meyers gets 85 rec for 1000+ and 6+TDS? He runs clean routes and cannot be covered! I believe we're fine at WR even with drops Agalor or anyone else. Still far superior to what we had last year (considering the TE improvement, the RB room boom, and a QB that even with a broken arm WILL throw for more than 8 TDs).. What say you?

Without reading the comments yet I'll just say that I'm really high on JM. He looks to be the next diamond in the rough. The next Troy Brown or Julien Edelman.

Without even knowing it, he Wally Pipped Harry out of a job.

Take that with a grain of salt because I'm usually overly optimistic.

I'm trying to TAMPER (previous title thread) / Temper my expectations, but damn am I excited for MAC. If we're top half of the league on offense that will be a great season. He can't possibly throw for fewer than 8 TDs, right? That was painful.
I think hes going to throw for min 30 TDs this season.

He has one of the most productive receivers over the last 10 games of the season in the league last year. A guy who had Cam Newton throwing to him. Now he'll have other valid targets to draw coverage too.

Agholor came close to 1000 yards last year and had the best YPC of any receiver.

Bourne is going to be a great outlet/ possession guy.

Two big targets in Henry and Smith. A top run game to support him and a nasty top 5 online.

Defense should be able to get after the QB and a really good LB corps behind the front 4.

It really is the perfect situation for Mac, if he is as smart as they say and understands how to read defenses, it's on this season.

Nice player. Is what he is. (On the 2007 team, I’m afraid he’d be quite low on the depth chart)

I'm not convinced that Meyers "is what he is" at all. He's a QB conversion who didn't start playing WR until after his redshirt year of college and was raw enough to go undrafted. He fought his way onto the Patriots then took a huge leap in his second season, despite having Newton at QB. In this preseason he looked even better. To me, he seems like the model of a player on the rise.

Here's something funny I just noticed.... It's easy to forget how long it took Julian Edelman to become Julian Edelman. In Edelman's first four seasons combined, with Brady at QB, he totaled 714 yards receiving. Meyers in 2020 alone, with Newton at QB, put up 729 yards.

Nice player. Is what he is. (On the 2007 team, I’m afraid he’d be quite low on the depth chart)

I feel like he, NA & Bourne will be the top WR options, but I’m hoping the TEs are the true #1. And I’m hoping the run game is strong.
In '07 team maybe he makes clutch catches in that one game they needed clutch catches

Not saying he will be Edelman but he reminds me of Edelman heading into 2014. Jacobi’s 2020 would have duplicated julian’s 2013 had he been involved earlier, both had decent years in part to the other receiving options being weak. And I remember thinking hopefully Edelman doesn’t need to be targeted that much again in 2014 but then Edelman improved even more that year and became a great wr. Which is what I kinda felt this year towards Myers after adding Agholor, Henry, and Bourne. Not sure Jacobi will make that jump but he has looked great in preseason and should actually have a decent Qb this year.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that Meyers "is what he is" at all. He's a QB conversion who didn't start playing WR until after his redshirt year of college and was raw enough to go undrafted. He fought his way onto the Patriots then took a huge leap in his second season, despite having Newton at QB. In this preseason he looked even better. To me, he seems like the model of a player on the rise.

Here's something funny I just noticed.... It's easy to forget how long it took Julian Edelman to become Julian Edelman. In Edelman's first four seasons combined, with Brady at QB, he totaled 714 yards receiving. Meyers in 2020 alone, with Newton at QB, put up 729 yards.
He's gone from being a non-NFL level player at the start of his rookie year's offseason, to an and of the bench/WR4 guy, to a WR3 who might be on the way to becoming a WR2 (we'll see which over the course of the upcoming weeks). I give him a hat tip for his efforts and improvements, and I hope that he can continue his rise in play level.

I question whether Meyers will have enough passes thrown his way to reach 1000 yards. With the addition of Smith and Henry at tight end plus a game plan that will most likely feature a strong running game backed by a strong defense. It will lead to many games were opponents are held to 10 points or less as the Patriots control the clock.

I question whether Meyers will have enough passes thrown his way to reach 1000 yards. With the addition of Smith and Henry at tight end plus a game plan that will most likely feature a strong running game backed by a strong defense. It will lead to many games were opponents are held to 10 points or less as the Patriots control the clock.
I can see that! Lot of options on offense. That said, 85 Rec and 1000 yards over the course of a 17 game season averages out to 5 catches for 58 yards a game. Kids got a shot! I'm overly excited about the kid.

I can see that! Lot of options on offense. That said, 85 Rec and 1000 yards over the course of a 17 game season averages out to 5 catches for 58 yards a game. Kids got a shot! I'm overly excited about the kid.

The extra game helps. I think he can still get 1000 yards

Last edited:
On most NFL teams he’s a good number 3

on the pats, he’s probably the number 1 where he only has to beat out JAGofloor and Mourne

Our wide receiver room is not the greatest.

1.) agular - best running go routes, out routes and post routes, does not track balls well and stops a bunch! His asset is stretching the defense. He can is a number 2 receiver in our offense.

2.) Bourne and meyers play the same position. Slot receiver. The difference is Bourne will drop a bunch of balls. Meyers plays very well in the dirty areas of the field snd that should allow him a good number of targets, but few

3.) Harry is jag! But he excels at catching 50-50 balls.

the wide receivers will be well covered all season, our offense goes through the backs and tight ends.

Our wide receiver room is not the greatest.

1.) agular - best running go routes, out routes and post routes, does not track balls well and stops a bunch! His asset is stretching the defense. He can is a number 2 receiver in our offense.

2.) Bourne and meyers play the same position. Slot receiver. The difference is Bourne will drop a bunch of balls. Meyers plays very well in the dirty areas of the field snd that should allow him a good number of targets, but few

3.) Harry is jag! But he excels at catching 50-50 balls.

the wide receivers will be well covered all season, our offense goes through the backs and tight ends.

Bourne and Meyers don't play the same position. That's like saying Edelman and Amendola play the same position but they didn't.

I hear a lot of talking heads and other teams saying we have a bottom 5 receiver corps. Receivers aren't the only pimple that catch balls. We are middle of the pack receivers...
Until proven otherwise, we are a bottom-8 WR group, at best...more likely than not closer to bottom-5... Looking at all of the other rosters leads one to no other conclusion.

I don’t think he’s that traditional #1wr that they are probably referring to.
The #1 WR many here refer to are often the ones racking up fantasy stats on losing teams that get to throw all over the field coming from behind a lot. Is THAT the fatal flaw for this Patriots team that will prevent them from winning this year? How about the Gilmore situation? Stopping the run? TE production in both the run AND pass game?

Question - how many WRs were on the field for many of the Pats winning teams? Two with two TEs (Not just including Hernandez BTW. Bennett, Crumpler, Allen, Fauria, Graham, etc). What about the "slot" receivers? Welker and Edelman specifically, but they also ran many outside routes because of those two TE sets (with the TE flexed wide instead sometimes). Sure in 3d and long they'd have an extra WR in, but even then not always (lots of formations and sets - hence why a guy like Amendola carved a role out).

I don't think there's any reason (including injury forcing the team to go three WR sets as even then Meyers likely still has a big and productive role) Meyers isn't able to successfully exploit whoever is lined up against him giving the Patriots excellent production from the WR position (regardless of whether or not he's the "#1 WR") similar to a Welker or Edelman (who USUALLY put up less overall numbers vs their WR peers, but did put up reliability and clutch statistics).

Last edited:
Last year Meyers seemed to be the only receiver that could get open. This year with a better supporting cast. it should allow more room for him to operate. Plus it seems like he is playing with a lot of confidence. My question? : Does he have the quickness to be the next Edelman/Welker/Brown in the slot?

Until proven otherwise, we are a bottom-8 WR group, at best...more likely than not closer to bottom-5... Looking at all of the other rosters leads one to no other conclusion.
That's if you take the WR group on an island. They don't play on an island, they play with running backs, tight ends, and a QB. All of those things are going to open up additional opportunities for the WR's and I think we have at worst a top 10 offense.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back