PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers - Forgotten or undervalued?

They already have that guy. Henry led the league (tied) in TD catches for TEs last year.
Good point, I left him off because he hasn't played as well this season. JayNM has a point on having the current players earn their spots before assuming all is good. It would be nice to use the resources that would be needed to upgrade at WR and TE for other purposes.

My appreciation for Jakobi has grown a lot this year. Hell of a player, great at what he does. I think 2 things will be held against him contract-wise. 1. His athleticism/undrafted status. 2. The overall performance of our offense. Jakobi's play obviously hasn't opened up our offense, and he won't do that for another poor offense either. So, teams who are interested in him will be teams who have talent elsewhere on O, but need a chain mover. For that role, I don't see Jakobi getting over 10-11 aav tops (I think 8-9 is most likely). Love him and I think he can be worth that to some team, but I think 14+ is crazy talk.

TT only had 2 catches for 7 the last game, but just his presence is going to open things up way more for Meyers (or another WR), who is already extremely good at getting open even against the likes of Xavien and TDiggs. (Although I guess we should wait until they play against a real secondary.)

Thornton got open alot. But he either wasn't zappes first read or they were just using him to stretch the field.

I'd like to see him take agholors spot

My appreciation for Jakobi has grown a lot this year. Hell of a player, great at what he does. I think 2 things will be held against him contract-wise. 1. His athleticism/undrafted status. 2. The overall performance of our offense. Jakobi's play obviously hasn't opened up our offense, and he won't do that for another poor offense either. So, teams who are interested in him will be teams who have talent elsewhere on O, but need a chain mover. For that role, I don't see Jakobi getting over 10-11 aav tops (I think 8-9 is most likely). Love him and I think he can be worth that to some team, but I think 14+ is crazy talk.

I think teams will look at him like they did Edelman. They really are very similar, possession receivers.

For whatever reason even if those guys rack up 1000 yards teams never look at them the same as they do the stretch the field guys.

TT only had 2 catches for 7 the last game, but just his presence is going to open things up way more for Meyers (or another WR), who is already extremely good at getting open even against the likes of Xavien and TDiggs. (Although I guess we should wait until they play against a real secondary.)

I want to see Pat at midfield FOREVER.

Meyers is a QB proof WR.
Newton
Jones
Zappe

and I will take this time to say f**k Brady for freezing Meyers out. Had this guy on the roster and froze him out because Meyers ran a bad route once, made Pats waste a pick on Sanu. If he would have taken the time with Meyers that season in practice season might have had a different outcome. But nope couldn't be assed and had already tapped out.

I just have a hard time thinking Meyers took a year and then became good with Newton. Nah this was there his rookie year, we saw glimpses of it in the Giants & Cowboys games that year

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back