PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meyers - Forgotten or undervalued?

all meanwhile Meyers will never come off the field and won't be running deep routes
I will bet you a year's salary Meyer's will run deep routes. It won't be a staple of his tree, but it will be in it. It would be foolish and shortsighted to think any offensive pass catcher will be limited to one part of the field because it makes game planning for the opposing team too easy.

The best OCs establish a pattern and then break it at key points during a game. We complain about it when it's done to guys like J.C Jackson who has been fooled in the past by a diet of mid and short out routes only to bite and get passed on a double move.

I will bet you a year's salary Meyer's will run deep routes. It won't be a staple of his tree, but it will be in it. It would be foolish and shortsighted to think any offensive pass catcher will be limited to one part of the field because it makes game planning for the opposing team too easy.

The best OCs establish a pattern and then break it at key points during a game. We complain about it when it's done to guys like J.C Jackson who has been fooled in the past by a diet of mid and short out routes only to bite and get passed on a double move.
Oh yeah - just in the 1st Jets game last year, he had 2 - one completion and another where he was wide open past the secondary and Cam just missed him.

Also wasn't one of the best Mac throws in TC was against the Gmen to Meyers with a deep route (50yd TD) into double coverage?

I'm someone who just tossed out some small bouquets to Meyers, earlier in the thread, and was inclined to give the kid his props. But you took your opinion positions (trending upwards, pretty average), as fact, then ignored any possible context for those opinions. The first part is not a big deal, as long as you can supply the latter. But you didn't. You also take the "why" aspect of the 2007 WR3 play and changes, and completely ignore it. And then you just toss out the "it's not outlandish".

You're usually a much more logically sound and reasonable poster than that. If that were not the case, I wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place.

I think it's safe to say you and I have different definitions of logic when discussing a hypothetical that's separated by a decade and a half of football.

Yeah, I meant it wouldn't be a staple of his route tree. Meaning he wouldn't be limited to deep passing attempts targeting him.

Now when do we get Meyers an extension ? He has significantly bumped his compensation . It's definitely in the 14-15 million range .

Now when do we get Meyers an extension ? He has significantly bumped his compensation . It's definitely in the 14-15 million range .
Annually? Too much

Annually? Too much
Agholor got 12 . And christian Kirk got 13 . If Meyers continues to perform like this he would be in 10-20 wr ranking range .

Hope we can do something like 4 years 50; 27 guaranteed .

Agholor got 12 . And christian Kirk got 13 . If Meyers continues to perform like this he would be in 10-20 wr ranking range .

I don't really care what they pay him, but I hope they keep him. The Pats have typically shown a willingness to spend money for a slot WR, even when they won't for the other top WRs.

Yea those are two good data points. The WR market is crazy now. Love Meyers but I don't see him as a $14m AAV player but he just might get it if he walks.

I think he's undervalued. He can move the chains, he's where he supposed to be and fits well in the system.

Yea those are two good data points. The WR market is crazy now. Love Meyers but I don't see him as a $14m AAV player but he just might get it if he walks.
He is the only guy who is performing and letting him leave when we have cap space is foolish. We have had more Busts in wr/TE free agency signings in recent times and our drafting also says a lot.

Meyers is priority 1 followed by Jonathan Jones . If Parker doesn't perform we should just cut him for next year .

He is the only guy who is performing and letting him leave when we have cap space is foolish. We have had more Busts in wr/TE free agency signings in recent times and our drafting also says a lot.

Meyers is priority 1 followed by Jonathan Jones . If Parker doesn't perform we should just cut him for next year .
It's crazy how the bolded part of your post has been the case for what's shaping up to be 3 consecutive years now, yet there will still be people next offseason insisting he's WR4 material.

Yep. Agholor and Smith are either gone or back at a reduced rate. DMC is done. Wynn too. LT will be a question. Depending on how things shake out hey will have anywhere between $50-$80m in cap space for 2023.

Not sure about JJ. He'll be 30 next Sept. Love him too but need to be careful for CBs 30 and older.

Yep. Agholor and Smith are either gone or back at a reduced rate. DMC is done. Wynn too. LT will be a question. Depending on how things shake out hey will have anywhere between $50-$80m in cap space for 2023.

Not sure about JJ. He'll be 30 next Sept. Love him too but need to be careful for CBs 30 and older.
It seems like they're preparing for life after Jonathan Jones and DMC. I don't get the sense that they've figured out life after Meyers, but wouldn't be surprised if they targeted a free agent. I'd rather them pay for Meyers, though.

Jakobi will not settle for less than 16M avg. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get 17M here or elsewhere. That's the market.

Jakobi will not settle for less than 16M avg. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get 17M here or elsewhere.
The NEP will do what the NEP always do. They'll tell Jakobi they want him back but at a price. They'll let him explore the market and ask the NEP be his last call.

How could he be uncoverable, yet not a #1 WR?

He’s a nice find, but he’s not there yet.
The passing game will be predicated on the efficiency of the ground game. WR/TE’s will get open off of play action similar to SF. If you like an old school offense, this is what we’ll probably get - run, run, run and then take your shot through the air.

With that being said, him catching for 1,000 yards is not out of the question.
Based on Meyers performance thus far if he continues he'll get there. Meyers missed two full games and still leads all Patriots WR's that's saying something.

The NEP will do what the NEP always do. They'll tell Jakobi they want him back but at a price. They'll let him explore the market and ask the NEP be his last call.
Likely. That's just the price range (16-17ish) I'm expecting when the dust settles.

And usually their price is close. It's often a question of whether the player really wants to stay in NE or is happy to leave.

Meyers has developed into a nice possession receiver who'll catch anywhere form six to eight balls a game.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back