PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Merged] Pats Work Out Then Sign Brian Waters G

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a LG switching to RG?

this will take time...new team, new personnel, new position, new terminology, new QB cadence...a full preseason would have been nice...I respect the job Connolly has done as an interim but he's not within eyesight of being a pro bowl guard...Waters HAS been there.The Patriots have also signed and put to good use veteran OL'men with a little gas left in the tank.If Waters can at least seal that sieve between C and the one between tackle, Brady's life may become a bit easier.

Last edited:
He's a LG switching to RG?

this will take time...new team, new personnel, new position, new terminology, new QB cadence...a full preseason would have been nice...I respect the job Connolly has done as an interim but he's not within eyesight of being a pro bowl guard...Waters HAS been there.The Patriots have also signed and put to good use veteran OL'men with a little gas left in the tank.If Waters can at least seal that sieve between C and the one between tackle, Brady's life may become a bit easier.

Well, Logan played RG when he came back last year against the Browns. He also did that in the pro bowl. Could work if Logan moves to RG. Who knows...just a thought.

......The Patriots have also signed and put to good use veteran OL'men with a little gas left in the tank........

I'm trying to remember the last one that actually panned out well for the team.

Most recent one I can come up with is Mike Compton - - and that's a decade ago.

huh, so we have moved on from "Can he rush the passer" to "Can he play safety" :rolleyes:

I'm still scratching my head on these TE and safety moves as well as why BB doesn't like the first name Brandon :eek:

I wish I had know that before I chose a user name. We're down to two. One if you only count the active roster.

I'm trying to remember the last one that actually panned out well for the team.

Most recent one I can come up with is Mike Compton - - and that's a decade ago.

it's been that long?? yeah, Compton was the first player that came to mind...

wait...what about Joe Andruzzi?

Last edited:
Waters was a good signing, over the past 3 years he has allowed 2.5 sacks

Re: Schefter: Pats sign Brian Waters

I get what your saying here in theory. But in practice thats not how it works out. James Harrison was cut by teams, Wes Welker was cut by teams. For a recent example look no further than danny woodhead who wasn't good enough to make the jets and is now arguably our best back.

In this case, KC had a cheap 2nd-year guard they thought a lot of, and they chose him over the 34 year-old vet scheduled to make $3.5 million. The Pats, meanwhile, need a stopgap starter...in the hopes that by next year they, too, will have a cheap 2nd-year guard they think a lot of. :) So Waters is simply more valuable here.

Here's hoping the move to the right side goes smoothly for him.

it's been that long?? yeah, Compton was the first player that came to mind...

wait...what about Joe Andruzzi?

The Pats actually have a great record with signing free agent linemen and getting some value out of them -- guys like Hochstein, Ashworth, Gorin, Levoir, Compton, Andruzzi, and Yates have all given them something. They obviously do better with waiver-wire/UDFA types than proven vets, but they seem to score with one FA lineman a year or so.

I get what your saying here in theory. But in practice thats not how it works out. James Harrison was cut by teams, Wes Welker was cut by teams. For a recent example look no further than danny woodhead who wasn't good enough to make the jets and is now arguably our best back.

All i read from this signing is the front office and OLine staff think he can make our team better, thats enough for me.
It is notable though that you are naming players who were cut BEFORE becoming productive, not former starters, who have aged and are cut.

In this case, KC had a cheap 2nd-year guard they thought a lot of, and they chose him over the 34 year-old vet scheduled to make $3.5 million. The Pats, meanwhile, need a stopgap starter...in the hopes that by next year they, too, will have a cheap 2nd-year guard they think a lot of. :) So Waters is simply more valuable here.

Here's hoping the move to the right side goes smoothly for him.
I hope he beats out Connolly and starts, because that would mean its an upgrade. I'm OK with him being the #1 backup too.

I hope he beats out Connolly and starts, because that would mean its an upgrade. I'm OK with him being the #1 backup too.

so are we paying 5.5 million for a back up..:confused::idontgetit:

Last edited:
Waters will be the starting RG in Miami solidifying the line until Cannon is ready to play.

The Pats actually have a great record with signing free agent linemen and getting some value out of them -- guys like Hochstein, Ashworth, Gorin, Levoir, Compton, Andruzzi, and Yates have all given them something. They obviously do better with waiver-wire/UDFA types than proven vets, but they seem to score with one FA lineman a year or so.

Your naming names, but the question right now is can a FA vet from another team come in and START. They haven't had a full season STARTING caliber vet come in like Compton and (as Joker pointed out) Andruzzi in the ten plus years.

We all loved Gorin, Yates and Hochstein, etc., but those guys were 2nd and 3rd tier players.

I like Waters alot and hope he can be the first one in a decade.

Last edited:
would you accept a poster telling you they watched the game on TV and assessed every player?

I think PFF is mainly full of crap, just amuses me that posters like to dump on them when they are more than willing to give their own expert analysis based on watching a game on tv.

Waters was a good signing, over the past 3 years he has allowed 2.5 sacks

To me the most telling stat for Waters is that he has missed a total of just 3 games in 10 years. This guy is durable. Connolly can get plenty of rest between FB plays.

Your naming names, but the question right now is can a FA vet from another team come in and START. They haven't had a full season STARTING caliber vet come in like Compton and (as Joker pointed out) Andruzzi in the ten plus years.

We all loved Gorin, Yates and Hochstein, etc., but those guys were 2nd and 3rd tier players.

OTOH, it's not like they've brought in pricy FA o-linemen who've failed in a starting role. How many times has there been a starting OL job available for a FA at all?

Light held down one job the entire decade, and Neal and Koppen 2 more for almost as long. When Andruzzi left, the Pats immediately spent a first-round pick on his successor. RT's had the most turnover, but first a 3rd-round pick then a 2nd did the job.

This is pretty much uncharted territory.

Last edited:

There's not really a past situation to compare this to. Looking into the past won't do much for us, I don't think. Just take the move for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down