PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDermott: "2017 Pats Better Than 03, 04 and 07 Teams"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any QB in NFL history ever had a worst 1st start than Peterman?

No. It was amusing watching so many Patsfans posters stick up for the choice, with the reasoning being (paraphrasing) "Taylor will never win a Super Bowl so you might as well see what Peterman can do." It was like saying that my son will never dunk, so why teach him to walk. The Bills have the longest playoff drought in North American sports. Making the playoffs would be, to them, a big big deal.

It's amusing to me that we've been so dominant for so long, that coaches are now comparing us with other versions of the team as the ultimate compliment.

The same thing is happening with Brady, everyone takes it for granted that he's the best QB in the league so the question usually is whether Brady 2017 is better than Brady 2007 or 2010?

The Brady/Belichick era is the gift that keeps on giving.

Brady has had 4 phases of his career when most have only one.

1. The Golden Boy (01-06)
2. The Terminator (07-12)
3. Transition (2013)
4. The GoAT (2014-?)

The Patriots had some "rebuilding years" for sure. In 2006 they had no offensive weapons left and in 2011 the defense was at rock bottom. I almost counted 2013, but really that was just a case of everyone getting hurt at WR and TE.

Those teams averaged like 12 wins a year lol.

I see that McDermott has already learned something from BB being the in the same division.
Hopefully that's the only thing he's learned...

The Patriots had some "rebuilding years" for sure. In 2006 they had no offensive weapons left and in 2011 the defense was at rock bottom. I almost counted 2013, but really that was just a case of everyone getting hurt at WR and TE.

Yea I'd like to think they've retooled and reloaded as opposed to rebuilding but I see what you are saying

The 2006 team reached the AFCCG and the 2011 team reach the Super Bowl... I don't think that counts as rebuilding.

If anything I think 2009 and 2010 would be the rebuilding years.

Has any QB in NFL history ever had a worst 1st start than Peterman?

Tom Tupa's first start was in the ballpark... 16-41, 266 yards, 6 INT's. He was less accurate with his arm than he was with his foot. :)

Brady has had 4 phases of his career when most have only one.

1. The Golden Boy (01-06)
2. The Terminator (07-12)
3. Transition (2013)
4. The GoAT (2014-?)
RIP Golden Boy

49e5794bebbb457e167eccad6b681595.jpg

Hes right. This year's D is not on the same tier as the 2003 or 04 teams. 07 was top 5 as well.

I feel like a lot of people forget that 2004 is the season when Ty Law and Ty Poole got hurt, and the Pats had guys like Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, Don Davis, Dexter Reid and the reanimated corpse of Hank Poteat starting or playing significant snaps in our defensive backfield.

Remember? It got so bad, Belichick actually felt that playing Troy Brown as slot corner was a better option than any DB we had on our roster.

It was only BB and Crennel's masterful coaching and tremendous on-field leadership by Rodney Harrison that kept our secondary held together with shoe laces and bubble gum.

I feel like a lot of people forget that 2004 is the season when Ty Law and Ty Poole got hurt, and the Pats had guys like Earthwind Moreland, Randall Gay, Don Davis, Dexter Reid and the reanimated corpse of Hank Poteat starting or playing significant snaps in our defensive backfield.

Remember? It got so bad, Belichick actually felt that playing Troy Brown as slot corner was a better option than any DB we had on our roster.

It was only BB and Crennel's masterful coaching and tremendous on-field leadership by Rodney Harrison that kept our secondary held together with shoe laces and bubble gum.

Agree.

In hindsight at CB in 04 they the 2nd year Asante Samuel and rookie Randall Gay who wound up having a nice career. The glue was Rodney and Geno Wilson who played very much like DMC does now.

What also helped was the front 7 and 8 got tremendous pressure on the Qb

Saying this team is better than an almost 19-0 team and two teams from the Dynasty I was over the top.

Thats like BB saying Carson Wentz is better than Joe Montana. He might be...someday but we sure as hell don't know that now.

Saying something like, "This this team is great, great coach, great QB, lots of players who have championship experience, great for 17 years...bla bla ". would have been appropriate and respectful.
If this team runs the table it belongs in the discussion with 03 and 04 and is better than 07 because it finished the job.

And 03 outperformed it any way.

If this team runs the table it belongs in the discussion with 03 and 04 and is better than 07 because it finished the job.
No question.

If this year's team is better than '04, you might as well engrave the Lombardi trophy now.

McDermott is better than Bowles and Gase. Bills finally seem to have a good head coach. They have been playing hard for him and are more disciplined now than they have ever been with Rex Ryan or the coaches before. He is not going to win the division any time soon but with a good QB, they are a decent team.

As for his comment on 2017 Pats team being better than older teams, of course he says that 'coz they are playing the current team and he's trying to channel his inner BB. :D

McDermott is better than Bowles and Gase. Bills finally seem to have a good head coach. They have been playing hard for him and are more disciplined now than they have ever been with Rex Ryan or the coaches before. He is not going to win the division any time soon but with a good QB, they are a decent team.

As for his comment on 2017 Pats team being better than older teams, of course he says that 'coz they are playing the current team and he's trying to channel his inner BB. :D
Really?

I can see ditching Watkins and the other high priced talent but what exactly was he trying to accomplish with Peterman over Taylor vs the Chargers?

To me the best patriot team ever is a 5 way tie and the next ring makes it a 6 way tie.
I think thats an easy out but I know where you are going with it.

You know as much as anyone the 01 team was not better than the 04 team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe