PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDermott: "2017 Pats Better Than 03, 04 and 07 Teams"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Clearly hes doing some major tire-pumping.

So what’s the difference between this 2017 team and the Patriots teams he’s faced in the past?

“I think they’re better,” Sean McDermott said. “This is an outstanding football team — not that the other teams weren’t. Now with the addition of some other players that they’ve added to the roster with the addition of Cooks and some of the other players that they’ve been able to add in the last X amount of months. I think this is a dynamite football team.”

In Week 2 of the 2003 season, Belichick’s Patriots beat the Eagles, 31-10. And of course, the Patriots beat the Eagles, 24-10, in Super Bowl XXXIX. The Patriots beat the Eagles, 31-28, in Week 12 of the 2007 season when McDermott was the Eagles’ secondary coach.

Sean McDermott thinks 2017 Patriots are better than 2007, 2004 teams

That's ridiculous. We had good to great defenses in the early 2000's. This year's defense has proven week in and week out that it can't stop the run, has a very limited pass rush and is succeeding largely because of timely turnovers and weak opposing QB play. Sure, you can say the offense is a little better (and that's what everyone loves to focus on), but the defense is a huge downgrade from those years. It's not close.

This year's defense has proven week in and week out that it can't stop the run, has a very limited pass rush and is succeeding largely because of timely turnovers and weak opposing QB play.

I guess you haven't actually watched the games, and are solely relying on @PatriotsNumero1Fan 's expert analysis from the Game Day Threads.

I guess you haven't actually watched the games, and are solely relying on @PatriotsNumero1Fan 's expert analysis from the Game Day Threads.

Hes right. This year's D is not on the same tier as the 2003 or 04 teams. 07 was top 5 as well.

Nope. I would say it's better than 2001 though. That d could be nasty of course but this offense is just so much better.

It's good enough to win a super bowl in this NFL. This is not a team on par with those ones though.

In order the best pats teams in the Brady era IMO... 4. 14. 7. 3. 16. 17. 1. 11. 10
15. Hard to say for with all the injuries each year. I tend to rank them on where they were entering the playoffs. This is just off the top of my head. Give time to really examine rosters I might change it.

Last edited:
Hes right. This year's D is not on the same tier as the 2003 or 04 teams. 07 was top 5 as well.

When did I say anything about this year's defense being as good as those units?

His analysis of this year's defense was a display of sheer stupidity.

I always thought the 07 D wan't as good as their rating because the offense gave them such favorable conditions/field. Was good, but probably top 12 (imho).

I think 04 defense was best for any Kraft-era team.

When did I say anything about this year's defense being as good as those units?

His analysis of this year's defense was a display of sheer stupidity.
My bad, man. I read your post and didn't read his.

01, 03, 04 Patriots had the much better D. 17 team has the better TE and receivers.

07 team had the best O. D was still better than this one.

Obviously QB and coaching remains great.

I always thought the 07 D wan't as good as their rating because the offense gave them such favorable conditions/field. Was good, but probably top 12 (imho).

I think 04 defense was best for any Kraft-era team.
07 D was fine. It was not as good as 03 or 04 but it was still championship - caliber

04 D was very good. I'll put 03 a slight tick above as Law/Poole/Samuel were healthy and > Samuel/Gay/Brown/Hank Poteat

Last edited:
What do you guys expect him to say? If he said our team sucked and then loss to us, then that gives him no excuses for losing.

What do you guys expect him to say? If he said our team sucked and then loss to us, then that gives him no excuses for losing.

Saying this team is better than an almost 19-0 team and two teams from the Dynasty I was over the top.

Thats like BB saying Carson Wentz is better than Joe Montana. He might be...someday but we sure as hell don't know that now.

Saying something like, "This this team is great, great coach, great QB, lots of players who have championship experience, great for 17 years...bla bla ". would have been appropriate and respectful.

It's amusing to me that we've been so dominant for so long, that coaches are now comparing us with other versions of the team as the ultimate compliment.

The same thing is happening with Brady, everyone takes it for granted that he's the best QB in the league so the question usually is whether Brady 2017 is better than Brady 2007 or 2010?

The Brady/Belichick era is the gift that keeps on giving.

That's ridiculous. We had good to great defenses in the early 2000's. This year's defense has proven week in and week out that it can't stop the run, has a very limited pass rush and is succeeding largely because of timely turnovers and weak opposing QB play. Sure, you can say the offense is a little better (and that's what everyone loves to focus on), but the defense is a huge downgrade from those years. It's not close.

f40e332dcd3ae9944729f4def9d8b302--womens-baseball-hats-baseball-hat-style.jpg

Saying something like, "This this team is great, great coach, great QB, lots of players who have championship experience, great for 17 years...bla bla ". would have been appropriate and respectful.

That's what BB says about every team we face. Not everyone is as articulate as him though. Our defense has played quite well lately and our offense will get better with hogan back and our backfield is about the best we've ever had. If we count success by championships then let's see how this season works out, they could end up being one of our best teams or they could flame out like some others. Knock on wood.

So since the Eagles are listed as #1 in the Power Rankings does that mean that they are the best team in NFL history(or at least of the Salary Cap Era)?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes