PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure McCourty Retires

Best Patriots safety ever?

A class act on and off the field. Congrats on a great career, thanks for the memories. And, of course, the rings

One of my fav players.

That’d be Rodney Harrison.

I think that depends on the criteria. In terms of longevity and consistency I would say yes, in terms of dominance and impact I would say Harrison,

I would like to see him go on GMF as his brother, and see how long it takes for them to notice.

I have friends who are identical twins, in high school it was so hard to tell them apart that they would each study for a different test, then switch shirts and each take the same test twice,

Have always been a big fan of McCourty, what I really like about him was not only his leadership on and off the field. But his consistency.. In 13 seasons he played 95%+ of the Defensive plays, while only missed 5 games in his career.. smart, savvy player who gave it all while playing.
He will probably not be considered all pro, but will be a shoe in for the Pats Hall of Fame..

DMC will be successful in his post NFL career. His football IQ is underrated and he's equally as smart outside the game. He'll likely join his brother in the media which will be great for all of us. Hopefully he spills the beans on some of the funny behind the scenes stuff. One of the stories which still makes me laugh is Matt Light screwing with Bill's computer and removing keys and putting tape under the mouse track ball. Bill comes out screaming and Light ever quick on his feet starts yelling in outrage flipping rookies, it has to be a rookie, nobody else would be this stupid. Then Bill's on a witch hunt for the rookies. The visual image of that still has me cracking up. I bet DMC was a bit of a quiet practical joker.

Thanks a lot Dev, for that $9.7M dead money cap hit.

On a serious note, that red jacket is waiting for you.

I knew he was retiring. He had lost a step this past season and had already made a boatload of money.

Matthew Slater hasn’t earned nearly as much, which helps explain his decision.

Both are great teammates and class men.

I knew he was retiring. He had lost a step this past season and had already made a boatload of money.

Matthew Slater hasn’t earned nearly as much, which helps explain his decision.

Both are great teammates and class men.
It seems as though his wife has a pretty good job currently she is an Brown Grad, attained her MD now is a Pathologist in RI, she has had a variety of positions and seems to be well thought of.
The Slater family seems to be doing quite well financially.

Remember Devin running down a Bronco's player in a game there, many were impressed. Here is a brief highlight reel found on You Tube.

End of an era. Thanks for everything!!! Wish you the best.

Yellow jacket for this man. Who were the better safeties in the 2010s. Earl Thomas then who? DMac belongs in the hall as the one of the 5 or so(Possibly #2) best safeties for a decade combined with 3 rings.
Ranking Top 10 NFL Safeties of the 2010s:

1. Earl Thomas
(10 seasons) HOF
3x 1st team All Pro, 2x 2nd team All Pro, 7x Pro Bowl, 13 TFL, 2 SK, 30 INTs, 12 FF, 3 TDs

2. Eric Weddle (10 seasons) HOF
2x 1st team All Pro, 3x 2nd team All Pro, 6x Pro Bowl, 25 TFL, 6 SK, 25 INTs, 6 FF, 3 TDs

3. Eric Berry (9 seasons) HOF
3x 1st team All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl, 1x CPOY, 29 TFL, 5.5 SK, 14 INTs, 4 FF, 5 TDs

4. Harrison Smith (8 seasons)
1x 1st team All Pro, 1x 2nd team All Pro, 5x Pro Bowl, 37 TFL, 13 SK, 23 INTs, 7 FF, 4 TDs

5. Troy Polamalu (5 seasons) HOF
2x 1st team All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, 1x DPOY, 26 TFL, 5 SK, 12 INTs, 6 FF, 3 TDs

6. Kam Chancellor (8 seasons)
2x 2nd team All Pro, 4x Pro Bowl, 17 TFL, 2 SK, 12 INTs, 9 FF, 0 TD

7. Ed Reed (4 seasons) HOF
1x 1st team All Pro, 1x 2nd team All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, 4 TFL, 1 SK, 18 INTs, 2 FF, 1 TD

8. Malcolm Jenkins (10 seasons)
1x 2nd team All Pro, 3x Pro Bowl, 41 TFL, 10 SK, 16 INTs, 16 FF, 7 TDs

9. Devin McCourty (10 seasons)
3x 2nd team All Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, 18 TFL, 3 SK, 26 INTs, 11 FF, 1 TD

10. Reggie Nelson (9 seasons)
1x 2nd team All Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, 22 TFL, 5.5 SK, 31 INTs, 7 FF, 1 TD

All pro and pro bowl tabulations are for 2010-2019 only.

I designated the HOFers (based on entire career). Kam's career ending injury cost him enough seasons to get in. Harrison Smith may get there. The last three including McCourty aren't HOFers. McCourty was never the best player at his position in any season and he was never a game-changer type playmaker. I put less emphasis on rings when evaluating any position other than QB and HC. You have to be a highly impactful player like for example Kam from 2011 to 2014 when he was among the most devastating tacklers in the NFL and a major component to possibly the best secondary in the history of the league.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere...

Congratulations on a nice career, Devin. You earned a lot of money and can retire in reasonably good health. I think his contributions to the team off the field were greater than those on the field. I believe part of the reason he got a big contract last time was that he has been the de facto safeties coach for several years.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back