PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure McCourty Retires

Congratulations to him. I was hoping he gave it one more year, but best of luck to him going forward.

with the #14 pick the patriots select the best available safety
If we’re staying at 14 would rather look OT CB or WR. Now if we can pull off a deal where we move into the 20s and acquire a 2024 first then I’d be looking for DMacs replacement.

Or maybe make a play for Jessie Bates in FA.

If we’re staying at 14 would rather look OT CB or WR. Now if we can pull off a deal where we move into the 20s and acquire a 2024 first then I’d be looking for DMacs replacement.

Or maybe make a play for Jessie Bates in FA.
All about Bates or Johnson for me.

What a career topped with 3 rings. Thank you Devin!

Selfishly, i do think its good he did this before fa/draft to let the team adjust.

Loved the guy.

DMC was a top-performer and a class-act on and off the field. He represented himself and the team with dignity and honor.

Those kinds of players are few and far between.

Happy for him and certainly want to celebrate his outstanding career as a NEP and a 3x champion.

Having such a high-character person and player step away means I won't see them play again.

Kinda sucks to be honest. I'm a little melancholy about this....

Last edited:
2010 draft

Pick 27 - Devin McCourty
Pick 42 - Rob Gronkowski

One of the greatest drafts in NFL history when you consider the draft capital used to obtain them. Also, McCourty should be a HOFer. He was a key piece on three SB defenses & had a longer career than Earl Thomas. He’ll be missed back there.

"It is a rare group of players who win games at a historic rate, exude team culture, lead, win awards, and win championships," said Belichick said in a statement. "And then there is Devin McCourty. Devin did all of those things as a player and more. But, what I think of first when I think of Devin is the type of man he is, his character, his values and how high he raised the bar for spreading goodness and justice in the community. For 13 years, Devin made everyone in our organization feel better and be better because of who he is – a pillar of professionalism, unselfishness, work ethic, preparation, intelligence and performance. I am excited to see him bring those same traits to his next chapter and brighten the lives of even more people."

Belichick gives newly retired Devin McCourty special praise in statement

Thank you for everything DMac ! Enjoy your retirement. I will miss seeing him on the field. This is truly the end of an era

Thank you, Devin!

————————

This gave us a 9.7M dead cap hit. Can we spread this hit over two seasons with a June 1 designation?

Thank you, Devin!

————————

This gave us a 9.7M dead cap hit. Can we spread this hit over two seasons with a June 1 designation?
I think they can spread the hit out if he signs a contract before free agency opens (vet minimum) and officially delays his retirement until June 2. If that happens, it’ll effectively give them some of the cap space ($6.2m) they need at cut downs to get from only top 51 cap hit to full roster.

The June 1 designation itself only relates to cuts, not any other actions like retirements and trades.

What I remember about Devin the most was his work ethic. No plays off. Read every snap count on Monday, and Devin was 100% or maybe missed one play. Every game for his career. A cornerstone of the defense.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back