PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty and other injuries update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've reached a point where I'm literally holding my breath nearly every time Gronk catches a pass. Anything up the seam for sure--his last catch yesterday I think I said "no" out loud...and it wasn't even a noteworthy/dangerous play in any way. It's ridiculous.

Yea there was a play where he had the ball and a HOU player was trying to arm-tackle him low. He wasn't trying to hurt him but when he dove to try and tackle him I became immediately annoyed that he was in the vicinity of his knees.

Call me Crazy, but I'm almost willing to say Harmon has been playing better, or as well as Dmac this season. McCourty has really taken some bad angles at times this year.

Yikes! I can't agree with this comment lol, but Harmon has been playing well

Trey Williams might see some action if Blount is down for an extended period of time.

McCoutry should take as much time as he needs to heal up. Thankfully we have Harmon, and he's a heck of a backup at FS.

He's still out there?? I would do it in a heart beat he hits the hole quicker than Blount anyway.
I thought Knowshon Moreno was out for the year because his knee was still messed up.

Harmon is a lot slower than McCourty. He's still a good player but that's the big difference that I notice between their games. While both are technically Free Safeties, Harmon has to play a lot closer to the line of scrimmage. McCourty can play way the hell back and have the entire game in front of him and make the right decision and evne help out in the run game. As usual, everyone around here completely underrates McCourty.

No one Underrates anyone, were simply calling it like it is. Harmon has better numbers in almost every category of grading. He also has equal passes defended and more interceptions with a much lower snap count. Yes McCourty offers the teams slightly more versatility because his elite speed, but his decision making is essentially making it even.

This is some words that Pro football focus had to say about the two safeties 3 weeks ago.

"
Beside him, it was touch-and-go as to whether Devin McCourty would still be around after his contract expired this offseason. He decided to return to the franchise that drafted him, and he’s repaying their investment. Overall, he’s allowed 20-of-30 targets to be complete for 193 yards, one touchdown, has one interception, and four PDs. Those aren’t elite numbers, but they’re very respectable. With solidity at both outside corner positions, along the versatility of Chung and McCourty’s range from center field, the Patriots have no weaknesses on their back end.

Finally, it’s worth mentioning Duron Harmon, who replaces Chung at safety when he moves down to cover the slot in the nickel. His numbers this year are simply ludicrous. He’s allowed just one completion from four targets for 9 yards, but has three picks and a pass deflection. He’s shown impressive playmaking ability in obvious passing situations, suggesting the Patriots’ secondary could be even stronger moving forward. Harmon now has seven interceptions in his career, despite only allowing 13 completions. Although most of his interceptions have come on misplaced passes rather than jumped routes, that’s still some stat line.
"

Honestly losing McCourty is a big loss, but of all the loses this team has taken this season, its one of the least important ones. Harmon is a very very good player. This was clear with the way he came in and stepped up in the absence of Dmac last night.
Honestly I think more people have overrated McCourty this season then underrated him. Yes he's a leader, but he's not playing at the high level he was the past two seasons.

Any chance we see edelman before the playoffs? Would be nice to get some limited snaps. We need him to be himself.

Any chance we see edelman before the playoffs? Would be nice to get some limited snaps. We need him to be himself.

Don't worry man, Edelman and Brady will be putting in overtime in their backyards if need be. #bros

looks like hundreds of bleeding manginas so far....

You, sir, are a true artist, and all true artists are unappreciated in their lifetimes...

Curran says high ankle sprain for mccourty, hopes to be back for playoffs.

Talib says it's bad enough to keep Blount out at least until the AFCCG....
It was a hip that cost Jones something like 6 weeks a couple of years ago. It was a hip that effectively ended Colvin's careers. Hip injuries can be very very bad.

It was a hip that cost Jones something like 6 weeks a couple of years ago. It was a hip that effectively ended Colvin's careers. Hip injuries can be very very bad.

Well if we're being honest and shooting from the hip, then I have to say that I agree.

No one Underrates anyone, were simply calling it like it is. Harmon has better numbers in almost every category of grading. He also has equal passes defended and more interceptions with a much lower snap count. Yes McCourty offers the teams slightly more versatility because his elite speed, but his decision making is essentially making it even.

This is some words that Pro football focus had to say about the two safeties 3 weeks ago.

"
Beside him, it was touch-and-go as to whether Devin McCourty would still be around after his contract expired this offseason. He decided to return to the franchise that drafted him, and he’s repaying their investment. Overall, he’s allowed 20-of-30 targets to be complete for 193 yards, one touchdown, has one interception, and four PDs. Those aren’t elite numbers, but they’re very respectable. With solidity at both outside corner positions, along the versatility of Chung and McCourty’s range from center field, the Patriots have no weaknesses on their back end.

Finally, it’s worth mentioning Duron Harmon, who replaces Chung at safety when he moves down to cover the slot in the nickel. His numbers this year are simply ludicrous. He’s allowed just one completion from four targets for 9 yards, but has three picks and a pass deflection. He’s shown impressive playmaking ability in obvious passing situations, suggesting the Patriots’ secondary could be even stronger moving forward. Harmon now has seven interceptions in his career, despite only allowing 13 completions. Although most of his interceptions have come on misplaced passes rather than jumped routes, that’s still some stat line.
"

Honestly losing McCourty is a big loss, but of all the loses this team has taken this season, its one of the least important ones. Harmon is a very very good player. This was clear with the way he came in and stepped up in the absence of Dmac last night.
Honestly I think more people have overrated McCourty this season then underrated him. Yes he's a leader, but he's not playing at the high level he was the past two seasons.

I'm just going to quote one sentence of your post to show you that you're comparing two players that don't even play the same position.

Finally, it’s worth mentioning Duron Harmon, who replaces Chung at safety when he moves down to cover the slot in the nickel.

"

"

Your major problem is referencing Pro Football Focus like they have a clue. If McCourty is out for a prolonged period of time, it's a major loss. Don't try and present it like Harmon has his range or instincts. Harmon is developing into a nice player but Devin McCourty has proven to be one of the best Free Safeties in the NFL. You don't just plug a guy in a expect that production.

[QUOT. "The Gr8est, post: 4475318, member: 1957"]Question becomes how many guys can we carry who can't play.[/QUOTE]
Eight

"

"

Harmon is good, but that's in part because he plays next to McCourty a good amount. If McCourty misses any significant amount of time, Harmon won't be able to slide into McCourty's role. The Pats will have to fundamentally change how they play defense, because nobody on the roster has the range that McCourty has out in centerfield. Only a couple guys in the league do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back