PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty and other injuries update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your major problem is referencing Pro Football Focus like they have a clue. If McCourty is out for a prolonged period of time, it's a major loss. Don't try and present it like Harmon has his range or instincts. Harmon is developing into a nice player but Devin McCourty has proven to be one of the best Free Safeties in the NFL. You don't just plug a guy in a expect that production.

I agree but with Butler and Ryans' development, it makes the safety job easier. It makes it elite with DMac instead of average to above with Harmon.

The radio silence on Blount scares me.

Yeah, I'm not optimistic either. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets IRed tomorrow or Wednesday, hip injuries are no joke. On the bright side, Bolden has looked surprisingly good this year.

I agree but with Butler and Ryans' development, it makes the safety job easier. It makes it elite with DMac instead of average to above with Harmon.
There's a significant difference between elite and average to above. There are only so many injuries to key players this team can absorb.

The reason Butler and Ryan have been able to be so aggressive is because McCourty isn't going to let the play go for 30+ yards. Sure, McCourty had the one gaff on the Beckham TD but how many of those can you count in the last three and a half seasons he has been at FS?

There's a significant difference between elite and average to above. There are only so many injuries to key players this team can absorb.

Well there have been only exactly 2 season ending key injuries. So far at least I will add. Average to above play in the secondary for a few weeks at this point of the schedule isn't dire with the front playing how it is.

Your major problem is referencing Pro Football Focus like they have a clue. If McCourty is out for a prolonged period of time, it's a major loss. Don't try and present it like Harmon has his range or instincts. Harmon is developing into a nice player but Devin McCourty has proven to be one of the best Free Safeties in the NFL. You don't just plug a guy in a expect that production.

I don't think they are perfect, but I guarantee you they have more of a clue then you do!

My point is, losing D.Mac wouldn't be the end of the world. Not saying Harmon is going to replace him. However with a few changes, the drop off wouldn't be as extreme as one might think,

Not sure why people are worried about losing Blount.

If he is hurt for any extended amount of time, there is no need to keep the roster clogged. Just IR him. He's been very replaceable this year.

I think Bolden has been much more impactful in like 1/10th the amount of snaps.

By all accounts this is not a serious injury. There is only 3 games left. If we cant get by the titans and the dolphins without mccourty, our problems are bigger than we thought.

Jets i will give is a tough game with their receivers. But I still feel we can beat them as well

In a way we have been somewhat lucky that most of our injuries have not been season ending. We may end up going into the postseason with a full offense and defense and the #1 seed. Just have to tough out the next 3 games and manage injuries...so people need to calm the doom and gloom abit

The reason Butler and Ryan have been able to be so aggressive is because McCourty isn't going to let the play go for 30+ yards. Sure, McCourty had the one gaff on the Beckham TD but how many of those can you count in the last three and a half seasons he has been at FS?

My beef with him is he plays slightly to conservative. He often holds back on plays. I might be wrong and Belichick might ask him to play this way. Bend don't break. However I just feel he could be slightly more aggressive in trying to break up plays at the point of catch. Weddle, Thomas, And even Glover Quinn all play this way and I feel all of them are better Center Fielder free safeties. Yes it might cost them once a season, maybe even twice, but it leads to more passes broken up, along with the added fear it gives to receivers. Not a single receiver in the NFL is afraid of catching a tuff pass, then having the possibility of being run over by Dmac. That OBJ play was just one of many soft plays on his part.

If he is hurt for any extended amount of time, there is no need to keep the roster clogged. Just IR him. He's been very replaceable this year.

Not to mention, if Blount needs to go to IR, we could always just sign Jonas Grey off Miami's practice squad. Right in time for the Miami game and some fresh intel.

I don't think they are perfect, but I guarantee you they have more of a clue then you do!

My point is, losing D.Mac wouldn't be the end of the world. Not saying Harmon is going to replace him. However with a few changes, the drop off wouldn't be as extreme as one might think,
The thing about guarantees on chat boards is I don't particularly care for them. You should step back and reassess your comments. There is a marked difference between what Harmon and McCourty offer the Patriots. There will be a significant drop off at the position.

The thing about guarantees on chat boards is I don't particularly care for them. You should step back and reassess your comments. There is a marked difference between what Harmon and McCourty offer the Patriots. There will be a significant drop off at the position.

4 of the largest plays of the game yesterday came while Dmac was in.

Again, I'm not so sure about what youre saying. But aye, what do I know Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 3.08.42 PM.png

4 of the largest plays of the game yesterday came while Dmac was in.

Again, I'm not so sure about what youre saying. But aye, what do I know View attachment 11553
I'm going to politely suggest it would be best for you to drop this line of argument before it causes you a significant degree of embarrassment. For instance, the long conversion where Butler blew the coverage was on Harmon's side of the field.

I wouldn't put any money behind that guarantee, if I were you, particularly given that PFF is, literally, a bunch of "Ausbackers" watching football games on their couches.

I'm going to politely suggest it would be best for you to drop this line of argument before it causes you a significant degree of embarrassment. For instance, the long conversion where Butler blew the coverage was on Harmon's side of the field.

In that play he was essentially playing center field. Both Hopkins and Cecil shorts ran routes that lead to the center of the field which is why he stayed there for early portion of the play. Nate washighton put a nice double move one Butler by first faking going inside, this also kept Harmon centered. Not even the best safety in the league would've been able to make it to that ball to break it up. Harmon played that play as best as anyone could, and then was there instantly to prevent it from going any further. That play was purely on Butler.

In that play he was essentially playing center field. Both Hopkins and Cecil shorts ran routes that lead to the center of the field which is why he stayed there for early portion of the play. Nate washighton put a nice double move one Butler by first faking going inside, this also kept Harmon centered. Not even the best safety in the league would've been able to make it to that ball to break it up. Harmon played that play as best as anyone could, and then was there instantly to prevent it from going any further. That play was purely on Butler.

Harmon blew his coverage
Harmon's nowhere near as good as McCourty

Do you feel the same way about McCourty making the play on Grimes when the run D blew contain?

nobody on the roster has the range that McCourty has out in centerfield.

I think it's a little more subtle than that. When the play goes right, Harmon has great range, with a good track record of catching the ball himself when he arrives. But McCourty is more reliable.

The other problem with losing McCourty is the downgrade to Richards or Wilson (or Ebner, who got 10 snaps on Sunday?) on the downs where the usual package is Harmon deep and McCourty closer to the line.

When has Bolden run well at all this season? Blount certainly hasnt been great but he is averaging 4.2 yards per carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back