PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McClellin reportedly out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
McClellin had a concussion issue that was bad enough to sideline him for half the year and then a setback that knocked him out for the rest of the season? Reminds me of Marc Savard. Sadly, his playing days are probably over. Or they should be for the sake of his long-term health.

So Valentine & Mitchell can't return even if both are healthy? Um...yeah...

Well knowing that BB has a good understanding of the rules I would assume that they already knew that either MM or VV would not have been healthy enough to return this year and they instead took a shot with SM. If so that means only one of either VV or MM were possibly healthy enough to return to begin with. I hope it's VV for the defensive help.

McClellin had a concussion issue that was bad enough to sideline him for half the year and then a setback that knocked him out for the rest of the season? Reminds me of Marc Savard. Sadly, his playing days are probably over. Or they should be for the sake of his long-term health.

"Setback" could be some new injury.

If so that means only one of either VV or MM were possibly healthy enough to return to begin with. I hope it's VV for the defensive help.
I don’t believe either one has practiced yet, therefore no one has been designated.

With the addition of 2 new DTs today, Belichick may feel that the help is needed more on the offensive side of the ball, particularly after Hogan’s injury. Things are likely to get dicey with Dorsett in there. Imagine how they’d look with one more injury.

On the other hand, plug and play DTs are probably easier to pick up as opposed to having an outside WR attempt to learn the system. That’s my thinking, anyway.

So Reiss is wrong? Come on, Mike!

All the writers got it wrong it seems. They are a lot like us.

tenor.gif

"Setback" could be some new injury.

I appreciate your optimism, but with concussion issues, it's usually a recurrence of post-concussion syndrome. Concussions that sideline a guy for a year are usually career-threatening.

I don’t believe either one has practiced yet, therefore no one has been designated.

With the addition of 2 new DTs today, Belichick may feel that the help is needed more on the offensive side of the ball, particularly after Hogan’s injury. Things are likely to get dicey with Dorsett in there. Imagine how they’d look with one more injury.

On the other hand, plug and play DTs are probably easier to pick up as opposed to having an outside WR attempt to learn the system. That’s my thinking, anyway.

You could be right. It's definitely not a easy decision either way. I do think having a quality DL such as VV (if healthy) would have a larger net impact than MM although many have argued otherwise. Having a formidable front would help generate pressure and 3 and outs. Brady still has enough weapons to score imo.

So I guess it might be a matter of do want to shut the opponent down or blow them out. lol.

On second thought I've only heard news of MM beginning to run and really nothing about VV so my point may be meaningless.

Lets just hope one of them is able to return healthy and contribute. I assume one isn't but hopefully it's not both.

You could be right. It's definitely not a easy decision either way. I do think having a quality DL such as VV (if healthy) would have a larger net impact than MM although many have argued otherwise. Having a formidable front would help generate pressure and 3 and outs. Brady still has enough weapons to score imo.

So I guess it might be a matter of do want to shut the opponent down or blow them out. lol.
I was initially on your side with hoping to bring VV back rather than Mitchell, but I think things changed a bit in terms of adding two new DTs + the injury to Hogan. Maybe Belichick wants to see what Dorsett looks like first, who knows?

I disagree a bit on the offense not taking any steps back with Amendola and Dorsett lined up with Cooks, even with Gronkowski and the RBs. Hopefully, you are right and they don’t miss a beat, but they have been struggling a bit lately with Hogan, let alone without him.

So if both are healthy, they'll be missing a key piece to the team because someone stupidly activated/Used ir spot for Mclellin?

What's "stupidly" about it?

These injuries are really starting to pile up. The complete lack of any playmakers in the front seven does not bode well for the Pats going forward.

If BB wins the SB with a linebacker corp of Van Noy, Harris, Marsh, Reily, and Roberts they should rename the trophy after him.

Tedy and Willie still look pretty fit on TV, how about Niko?

You say this jokingly but I think the Pats might need them...

Thanks to the earlier poster who provided the nyjfl.communications timeline press release. Not quite a rulebook, but certainly Rogah-idiocy can be seen here:

At any time after six weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate two players for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List.

A player who is “Designated For Return” must have suffered a major football-related injury or non-football-related injury or illness after reporting to training camp and must have been placed on the applicable Reserve List after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the final roster reduction.

A player whom the club wishes to designate for return is permitted to return to practice for a period not to exceed 21 days. The club is required to notify the League office that the player has been “Designated For Return” on the first day the player begins to practice. The player cannot be returned to the Active/Inactive List until eight weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve.

Pure lunacy by the league.

To me this means that clubs (now that we have shown the fallacy of the system) are going to send their guys to undisclosed locations or training facilities and either train on sly or wait out to make them prove their health before wasting the designation. Essentially promote something akin to cheating and that isn't necessarily in players health best interest* because following the rule is stupid.

*1 Once they get designated, the team and player will bé under great pressure to activate him, healthy or not -dangerous or not.
*2 if they make him train longer away from club and nhis ormal med/TNT/therapy care that knows his history, he won't get best care either.

BB could do a jedi mind trick, "these aren't the droids you're looking for", "Mitchell was IR to return not mcclellin".

Do you think it would work?

I've heard media reports saying (rather tepidly) that McClellin was placed on IR (with a concussion), but I don't recall the exact injury ever being officially disclosed.

McClellin missed all but the first couple days of Camp practices, and then was placed on IR. Whatever his injury was, it must have bad enough that it definitively would have prevented him from playing for more than just (possibly) a couple of weeks.

So, I'm skeptical that it was solely a concussion that he'd been attempting to recover from for 4+ weeks already by cutdown time. I'd guess there was something else in addition to a concussion.

However, if all of this was solely due to a concussion, I agree that he should retire.

Well, that’s a *****.

What happens to that overpriced cap hit he was costing us? I believe it was somewhere around 3.5m.

$3.2m - minus his roster bonus and workout bonus dropped that the about $2.7m. Then, there may have been injury-split language in his contract that reduced it even further.

Miguel would know.

$3.2m - minus his roster bonus and workout bonus dropped that the about $2.7m. Then, there may have been injury-split language in his contract that reduced it even further.

Miguel would know.
Seems like we have about 14m dollars tied up on injured reserve. Of course, half of that is Edelman.

Bummer...I was really looking forward to McClellin coming back. I know Akeem Ayers was in for a visit not long ago...but geesh....just sign the beast for cryin' outs.

I suppose discussing a potential Malcolm Mitchell return to the active roster is back on the table.

EDIT: Just reading through more posts it seems Shea is still utilizing one of our IR-return spots. That sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back