PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

So far, all the OC candidates interviewed or scheduled for an interview have no play calling experience. BB doesn't need an OC who requires on the job training. Leftwich is interesting. Former NFL QB who could mentor Mac and/or Zap and has experience calling plays.
BOB interviewed today. I think it’s his job to lose.

More mob/twitter mentality..."while we're guillotining Patricia and Judge, let's get Caley and Brown up there too..."
Everyone but Acorn. He's a keeper.

Aside from Judon, this is all wrong and called out at the time. Every concern brought up at the time has been vindicated. Terrible FAcy. I'm sure Mr. Kraft agrees.
How in the world is it wrong?

Bourne makes a pittance. Same with Mills. Bargain basement contracts. The middling WRs who signed last spring made 1.5x to 2x more than Agholor, at the same production and numbers. Even better, Agholor had a 2 year deal.

How is any of that wrong?

That's a lot of sugar coating. A massive amount of money that netted one impact player, a bunch of underperforming players and a 500 record.
It's not a massive amount of money. I think you've been fooled. Underperforming??? Mills and Bourne are not underperforming their contracts. Agholor is gone, but if you think $10m is going to buy you anything more than 50 receptions, you're woefully out of sync with the market. Bourne makes half of that.

Not really, no, if BoB had an agreement in place once his commitment to Alabama ended. They didn't want to bring in someone who was going to be chitcanned after 1 year to bring in BoB after. Prop up a FoB or two and pay them peanuts, then get the guy they want anyway.
So a throw away season. Brilliant.

Agholor was a terrible deal. In 2 years he had 68 catches for 835 yards and 5 TDs. He had a $7 million cap hit in 2021 and almost $15 million in 2022. In two years he didnt even live up to his numbers from his "big season". No way around it, this was a terrible deal.

Bourne was actually looking like a steal until he apparently pissed in Patricia's Cheerios so Bill's little experiment bungled his (and many others) production this year. Mills got middle of the road money and was a middle of the road player so not a bad deal there. They could save $5 mill on the cap so they might release him and let him test the market.

Judon has definitely been a hit.

Henry outside of a month at the end of last season has been bad. For our $15 million cap hit this year we got 41 catches, 500 yards, and 2 TDs. Even though he is the better of our two overpaid tight ends he will likely be the one on the outs this offseason since cutting him saves $10.5 million on the cap (with $5 million in dead cap) while Jonnu will be a $17 million cap hit and would be a whopping $19 million in dead cap if he were cut. The tight end situation has been a disaster since Gronk left. Bill wasted a couple of third round picks on guys two guys who spent more time as healthy scratches than playing in actual games. Then a year later he spends money like a drunken sailor on shore leave to get the production at the position from non-existent to underwhelming. Lots of resources have been thrown at TE to still have a complete mess.

All in all the 2021 free agency class wasn't great. We got a great pass rusher, an average corner, a bad receiver who they like and a good receiver who they don't like and two bad tight ends.
Did you see last spring's WR contracts?

I put those up there this month (I just searched for the post and couldn't find it). But needless to say, the WR #s were at Agholor's level, BUT they made MORE money than Agholor. Plus, Agholor's GONE. Short 2 year contract.

EDIT:
DJ Chark: 30 receptions for 500 yds.
Allen Robinson: 33 for 300 yds
Russell Gage: 50 for 400 yds
Valdes-Scantling: 40 for 680

These are your FAs at WR. These Agholor like numbers.

We're seeing the top WRs get roughly half the money of the top QBs. Be prepared for $15m for #2 receivers because that's where we are.

Did you see last spring's WR contracts?

I put those up there this month (I just searched for the post and couldn't find it). But needless to say, the WR #s were at Agholor's level, BUT they made MORE money than Agholor. Plus, Agholor's GONE. Short 2 year contract.

EDIT:
DJ Chark: 30 receptions for 500 yds.
Allen Robinson: 33 for 300 yds
Russell Gage: 50 for 400 yds
Valdes-Scantling: 40 for 680

These are your FAs at WR. These Agholor like numbers.

We're seeing the top WRs get roughly half the money of the top QBs. Be prepared for $15m for #2 receivers because that's where we are.
So other teams had signed receivers to bad deals so that makes ours okay? Per overthecap Agholor was the 5th biggest cap hit in the league at receiver. His cap number was bigger than Mike Williams, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, DK Metcalf and a whole bunch of other guys lightyears better than him. Thank god it was only a 2 year deal because Agholor was terrible.

2022 Wide Receiver Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

So other teams had signed receivers to bad deals so that makes ours okay? Per overthecap Agholor was the 5th biggest cap hit in the league at receiver. His cap number was bigger than Mike Williams, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, DK Metcalf and a whole bunch of other guys lightyears better than him. Thank god it was only a 2 year deal because Agholor was terrible.

2022 Wide Receiver Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap
You have to look at the average salary, not the cap hit.

Avg. salary was $11m. Teams push out the cap hits whenever they can, which you won't do with a 2 year contract.

I didn't say teams made bad deals. I showed you how middling 3rd WRs are now paid in the NFL. 40-50 catches a year = $10m now. That's on the low end actually. More than that.

So a throw away season. Brilliant.
I am sure they weighed risk/reward and thought they weren't going to win with this roster, so they rolled the dice.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Not really, no, if BoB had an agreement in place once his commitment to Alabama ended. They didn't want to bring in someone who was going to be chitcanned after 1 year to bring in BoB after. Prop up a FoB or two and pay them peanuts, then get the guy they want anyway.
I doubt that there was an agreement. There's a rule referring to contact between NFL teams and college personnel in the anti-tampering policy and if they had an agreement that might be a violation. Unless the Patriots got permission from Alabama to talk to BoB and nothing has ever been reported that they did.

NFL Anti-Tampering policy said:
5. COLLEGE PERSONNEL. The National Football League also respects employment agreements entered into between colleges and their coaches and other employees. Before an NFL club has discussions regarding the possible hiring of a college coach or other employee, that club should first determine whether the employee is under contract. If the employee is under contract, the club must seek permission from the Athletic Director or other appropriate college official to have discussions with the employee. If permission is granted, the NFL club may proceed to discuss employment opportunities and to hire the college employee, subject to any limitation expressed in the grant of consent. If permission is denied, the NFL club should respect that decision just as it would respect a similar decision from another NFL club. NFL clubs that fail to follow these protocols may be subject to disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the League.

A little OT but the Phins fired DC Josh Boyer. Seems to me a bad mistake. For what they were, I thought that D played well the last 2 years.
Holdover coach is always in a tough position. Lots of assistants getting fired this year while the HC remains in place. Seems unusual.

Avg. salary was $11m. Teams push out the cap hits whenever they can, which you won't do with a 2 year contract.

I didn't say teams made bad deals. I showed you how middling 3rd WRs are now paid in the NFL. 40-50 catches a year = $10m now. That's on the low end actually. More than that.
Smart teams push the cap hit down the road as the cap increases every year. They don't overpay bad players on short term deals that they will owe all the money on. The cap hit is the most important because it is what affects the team spending that year and we spent 7% of our cap dollars on a bad player. If you break down what Agholor cost against the cap vs catches we paid him about $320,000 a catch over two years.

Holdover coach is always in a tough position. Lots of assistants getting fired this year while the HC remains in place. Seems unusual.
OC's being the scapegoat this year.

Lol, no you don't. Season to season the only thing that matters is the cap hit. You've been wrong on this all along.

I am sure they weighed risk/reward and thought they weren't going to win with this roster, so they rolled the dice.
hey arnold nicksplat GIF
No wonder the Krafts took the reigns back from Bill. That was not their expectations. Are you joking? If so, lol.

Smart teams push the cap hit down the road as the cap increases every year. They don't overpay bad players on short term deals that they will owe all the money on. The cap hit is the most important because it is what affects the team spending that year and we spent 7% of our cap dollars on a bad player. If you break down what Agholor cost against the cap vs catches we paid him about $320,000 a catch over two years.
They all eventually pay the guaranteed money. All of them. Eventually in the last year you're going to get a cap hit. Look at the Rams with Allen Robinson or Bucs with Russell Gage, they will get a big cap hit in the last year. It is unavoidable.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back