PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

What's better: Mayo as DC and Steve B as his assistant or Steve B as DC plus two 3rd round picks?

I can never tell what Zolak knows or what he’s guessing, but he did mention a possible assistant head coach title for Mayo. That would acknowledge him as a top member of the staff that doesn’t specifically coordinate the offense or defense, similar to Scarnecchia all those years when he had that title.
TBF, I think Scar was named assistant HC—the person who is in charge if the HC can't coach—to prevent any arguments about whether it should be Weis or Crennel. (Also if memory serves he was the most senior coach.)

Give Mayo a raise, make him the DC and I may even go a step further and name him as Bills successor when that time comes.

TBF, I think Scar was named assistant HC—the person who is in charge if the HC can't coach—to prevent any arguments about whether it should be Weis or Crennel. (Also if memory serves he was the most senior coach.)
Who is the most senior coach on the staff now? Other than Bill of course.

This is ridiculously transparent for the Patriots. Kind of freaking me out.

I’m shocked at the Mayo news. It’s not a done deal but the fact that it’s being published makes it seem like it’s close to a done deal - it’s basically an announcement saying “he’s staying, his official title just hasn’t been stamped down yet.”

Seems like he’ll be the DC or maybe even more than that. Possible HC of the NEP in the future?

The season ticket holders have their pitch forks and torches ready - Kraft is just keeping them happy

As long as Steve works for Dad, his legitimacy as a coach will be a question. He needs to cut the cord and go prove himself with another team. Absent that, his longer term future is questionable given Bill's age and inevitable exit in the relatively near term.
He has said he doesn't plan to consider a HC job until after his dad retires.

Hopefully he’s a good coach if he is. He’s really smart and seems chill. I guess we won’t really know how good of a coach he is until he’s without Bill.

The pats resources spent at LB were the lowest of any position on the team. Here’s what Mayo had to work with:

Ja’Whaun Bentley
Raekwon McMillan
Mack Wilson
Jahlani Tavai
Cameron McGrone

By midseason Bentley & Tavai were a serviceable LB duo. Bentley had a career year & played a big part in the team having their best run d since 2016. Mayo did the opposite of the majority of the coaching staff by doing more with less.

Last edited:
this is a very odd press release. Almost like admitting "dont worry! the coaching sucked last year so we are getting an OC! and keeping Mayo!"

Makes you wonder whether the target audience was the fan base or the owner, and even if this was from ownership down, doesn't it?

The pats resources spent at LB were the lowest of any position on the team. Here’s what Mayo had to work with:

Ja’Whaun Bentley
Raekwon McMillan
Mack Wilson
Jahlani Tavai
Cameron McGrone

By midseason Bentley & Tavai were an above average LB duo. Bentley had a career year & played a big part in the team having their best run d since 2016. Mayo did the opposite of the majority of the coaching staff by doing more with less.
Did Bentley and tavai really excel in 2022 or did the defensive line step up big time last year. The defensive tackle coach of the patriots did a fantastic job in 2022 with limited talent and I think he is an unsung rising star.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back