PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Bill making a move which probably hurts Steve is an interesting development.
As long as Steve works for Dad, his legitimacy as a coach will be a question. He needs to cut the cord and go prove himself with another team. Absent that, his longer term future is questionable given Bill's age and inevitable exit in the relatively near term.

I'm inclined to say he may be the future HC, once BB hangs them up. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a way of showing it?
We have heard a lot of reports that Mayo is an esteemed leader on the staff which I feel like we don’t really hear about anyone else besides Belichick. I have no idea how much input Belichick had on defense in 2022 but if it was pretty much just Mayo + Steve running it, they did an outstanding job. Perhaps Mayo as an HC plus Steve as the DC and someone like O’Brien as OC would be a good staff.

Very good news. Hope it gets done

We have heard a lot of reports that Mayo is an esteemed leader on the staff which I feel like we don’t really hear about anyone else besides Belichick. I have no idea how much input Belichick had on defense in 2022 but if it was pretty much just Mayo + Steve running it, they did an outstanding job. Perhaps Mayo as an HC plus Steve as the DC and someone like O’Brien as OC would be a good staff.

Couldn't of worded it better regarding mayo. This Article goes into a lot of information about mayo and how BB wanted him on staff since he retired. Good information as well.

As long as Steve works for Dad, his legitimacy as a coach will be a question. He needs to cut the cord and go prove himself with another team. Absent that, his longer term future is questionable given Bill's age and inevitable exit in the relatively near term.
The defense is the only unit that was good this year . I don’t know if letting go of the guy who ran it

I hope Stephen is content to work with dad until he's done and then goes to make his own name. Or works here under the next guy until his own time comes but either way I don't want to lose him anymore than Mayo. And really interested to see how their duties split now.

Such transparency means BB is really thinking his own end game now. Doesnt care if it means more transparency .Not more than 2-3 yrs at most I think.

Such transparency means BB is really thinking his own end game now. Doesnt care if it means more transparency .Not more than 2-3 yrs at most I think.
I think it's kind of a given it won't be much more than that. Not sure if the transparency is anything more than a mea culpa for last year.

Yeah, I agree… I think Bill and Kraft sat down and talked about how long Bill has left and starting planning. This feels like an acknowledgment that Bill has maybe 3 years left, or less, and they’re getting the pieces in place for when he either retires in full or just moves into a front office-only role.

Kind of bittersweet in a way but also exciting! I’m exceptionally curious what title Mayo will hold.

I don’t disagree with that. It’s really for his own good. The defense was really good this year, but he has the senior Belichick shadow looming over him, questioning his accomplishments. It’s time for him to leave the nest, to prove that it’s him and not his dad, if he really wants to have an NFL coaching future once Bill retires.

Mayo is your next HC of the pats IMO. Also good news on the OC front.
Hopefully he’s a good coach if he is. He’s really smart and seems chill. I guess we won’t really know how good of a coach he is until he’s without Bill.

I'm inclined to say he may be the future HC, once BB hangs them up. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a way of showing it?
If that is the case I don’t see us landing Obrein or Kingsbury

Robert and co. absolutely forced this to be a public announcement likely to ease the mind of the fanbase. I have no doubt about it.
I heard Patricia was given a lifetime supply of steaks to make up for this slight.
Problem is they won’t last to preseason.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back