PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett : [UPDATE: Placed on IR]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow I have a job where I can't listen to All Patriots All The Time Radio... um, wtf?

When did Bennett say he wasn't really ever injured? Or did his doctor say he wasn't really injured? Other than them... I'm a little shaky on who the source would be.

Except we all know Reiss isn't stupid enough to ask such a ridiculous question. Ben Volin lost all credibility today, if he had any left.

He didn't have any left.

His Mac & Cheese = Robert Kraft confirmed that. First because he ran with something someone tweeted him and Second because in his apology he referenced Google as his source. If you want a Third, in the midst of his confusion after many bringing his mistake to light he then writes he has put a call into Kraft to see if he has any ties to Mac & Cheese.

Yeah he sucks.

Bennett is an a-hole in my opinion and scumbag and I'm not rooting for him to have any success -- I'd rather Gronk, Hogan, Amendola, Cooks, White, Burkhead got all the catches.

He had a contractual obligation to play, but he didn't want to because playing hurt a bit.

Him telling the truth would've been saying "My team sucks now, so I don't feel like playing thru the pain so pay me while I relax" -- which would make him one of many a-holes around.

Instead, he took it further, lied, wrongly throwing the doctor under the bus.

If a Pats player did what he did, we'd go nuts about it.

Sure. You can say that. It's the loyalty thing. And if MB did the same thing to get out of NE I would ***** a little too although I think we'd be more nuts about our season if we were in GB's shoes.

But Teams aren't loyal to their players. "It's just business" So when a player makes a "Business" decisions teams can't ***** too much about it.

The NFL has established that it doesn't give a **** about the players. CTE has confirmed that. So when a player thinks about his own safety and what he is willing to trade to play the NFL or its Team members having nothing to ***** about.

Marty didn't want to play with a screwed up shoulder in a losing venture. GB is going nowhere without Rodgers.

Marty got claimed by the Pats who have Tom Brady and who he won a ring with just last season. So now he's willing to play through the pain.

Marty has already demonstrated that he'll play through injuries. He's just not going to do for a lost cause which GB is.

But yeah I don't care because I liked him here last season and don't give a **** about GB and their whine and cheese issues.

You are the defensive one here. You started off saying you don't believe this garbage but ended up inferring you did.
Then you need to re-read what I wrote. I don't believe it, but simply stated it isn't terribly far fetched to believe such things happen in the NFL. Granted, this particular situation doesn't exactly arise on a regular basis but the general idea of backdoor conversations taking place.

I agree

Him telling the truth would've been saying "My team sucks now, so I don't feel like playing thru the pain so pay me while I relax" -- which would make him one of many a-holes around.

Instead, he took it further, lied, wrongly throwing the doctor under the bus.

If a Pats player did what he did, we'd go nuts about it.

OK, I'll bite, what "business decision" did Bennett make? He's making the same money as he would have for GB. He just lost interest in playing for GB, and told them he'd rather have surgery than work for them. And, IF hw plays next year, he is very, very unlikely to get more than what GB contracted with him for.

Bennett has gotten the bonus out of GB. Now he wants to play for someone else.

The patriots took advantage of Bennett screwing GB. Congrats to us, I guess.

But Teams aren't loyal to their players. "It's just business" So when a player makes a "Business" decisions teams can't ***** too much about it.

"I'm full. I'm done eating. I've eaten too much."

"I've got your favorite dessert. Are you sure you don't want any?"

"Ok, just a small piece."

Now, the above person wasn't looking to screw over the apple pie, or the brownies, or the ice cream. He was done eating. However, the carrot cake showed up and convinced him to have a slice. There's no failure to disclose a level of satiety, and no hidden meaning to the decision to change his mind about dessert, and have a bit more. The man was just willing to go glutton on carrot cake.

OK, I'll bite, what "business decision" did Bennett make? He's making the same money as he would have for GB. He just lost interest in playing for GB, and told them he'd rather have surgery than work for them. And, IF hw plays next year, he is very, very unlikely to get more than what GB contracted with him for.

Bennett has gotten the bonus out of GB. Now he wants to play for someone else.

The patriots took advantage of Bennett screwing GB. Congrats to us, I guess.

All Bennett decided to do was opt for surgery. He didn't choose to get cut. That was GB's decision. After he got cut the Pats decided to claim him off of waivers. That wasn't Bennett's decision either although I guess if he didn't want to play he could have retired. But since he landed in a familiar environment and one in which he earned a Super Bowl ring he decided that he would play.

The Business decision comment was in reply to the poster who used the "loyalty" card. The NFL and its Teams do what's best for themselves and the players are forced to do the same because that's the business environment the NFL established.

All Bennett decided to do was opt for surgery. He didn't choose to get cut. That was GB's decision. After he got cut the Pats decided to claim him off of waivers. That wasn't Bennett's decision either although I guess if he didn't want to play he could have retired. But since he landed in a familiar environment and one in which he earned a Super Bowl ring he decided that he would play.

The Business decision comment was in reply to the poster who used the "loyalty" card. The NFL and its Teams do what's best for themselves and the players are forced to do the same because that's the business environment the NFL established.

He opted for surgery? Then, when was the surgery? No, he refused to meet his contractual obligations to GB by saying that he wouldn't play unless he had surgery. When he wouldn't play, he was cut. At least, that's what I would argue when trying to get GB's bonus back (at least that much; Bennett decided that he didn't want to play for GB when under contract; not a great position)

If Bennett wanted to "opt" for surgery over the advice of GB's doctors, then he might have contacted his union rep, gotten second medical opinion, and followed up with a grievance against the team if he being forced to play when medical he shouldn't be playing.

He opted for surgery? Then, when was the surgery? No, he refused to meet his contractual obligations to GB by saying that he wouldn't play unless he had surgery. When he wouldn't play, he was cut. At least, that's what I would argue when trying to get GB's bonus back (at least that much; Bennett decided that he didn't want to play for GB when under contract; not a great position)

If Bennett wanted to "opt" for surgery over the advice of GB's doctors, then he might have contacted his union rep, gotten second medical opinion, and followed up with a grievance against the team if he being forced to play when medical he shouldn't be playing.

You understand this is a your assumptions vs my assumptions type of argument.

He got a second opinion which concluded he needed surgery. (According to Bennett)

GB cut him because he "failed to disclose an injury" the same injury he reported on his weekly self evaluations and apparently the same injury he had while playing here. The same injury that kept him out of a game in week 9.

What contract says you have to play while injured? I'm honestly curious who gets to determine what injuries are or are not play worthy. (Seriously not part of the argument. I really don't know the answer to this. )

So GB knew about the injury and they wanted him to play through it. He got a second opinion and decided against it. He got cut and landed on a contending team which he is comfortable with and decided to play through the pain.

upload_2017-11-14_22-33-31.png

BOTTOM LINE
Bennett is a scumbag; but he's he's our scumbag.

Your posts on this matter have been ridiculous, and that's regardless of whether or not your underlying premise is valid. You've made assumptions, essentially acknowledged them to be assumptions (i.e. "At least, that's what I would argue when trying to get GB's bonus back") and then rolled them out as facts. Step away from the computer. Have some tea or coffee.

And, maybe, have a slice of carrot cake.

I hate carrot cake...and that azzole Carrot Top too...:mad:
I never liked him either, but I saw him once in Vegas (everything else sold out) and he was hilarious.

You're right but if the conversation went like:

"Hey Marty.... if you can shoot your way out of GB, the Patriots will provide you with a nice landing spot"

then that is tampering. I am not saying I believe that happened but some people do and let's face it, that's not exactly the most far-fetched scenario.

So you are saying that the team that refused to even touch on anything concerning Butlers visit to the Saints in preseason because Butler didnt sign his tender and it might potentially violate CBA provisions is not unlikely to out of nowhere call a former player and ask him to sulk his way out of GB on the chance that he will not be IRd or claimed by any of the other 30 teams to make it back to the Patriots ?

You are saying this is not far fetched ? You want some aluminum foil for your head with that ?

Interesting.

POSSIBILITY
1) Bennett refused to play for GB because he says he needs surgery.
2) GB believe that he can play a minor role this year, gives up and cuts him.
3) After Bennett is cut, Belichick calls Bennett and indicates that the patriots want him to play for us. However, the problem is that someone else might pick him up on waivers, since the per game cost was so low. Belichick suggests that the Bennett's agent to tell the other teams not to claim him since he doesn't want to play for them.
4) Bennett and his agent tell other teams that he won't play for them and will have surgery.
5) Belichick claims Bennett. Belichick, the team and Bennett celebrate. They then tell the world that he NOW is fine with playing.

CONCLUSION
No one did anything wrong. ???????

Personally, I disagree.

GREEN BAY
GB had Bennett under contract and had decided that Bennett was able to play. IMHO, Bennett had a contractual obligation to play. If he so strongly disagreed with the medical diagnosis that he'd rather have surgery and no (minimal) pay check for the rest of the year, then that's fine.

In any case, GB might try to recover a portion of the bonus bonus.

BELICHICK
If what occurred above isn't tampering under the agreement, it certainly will be considered in the future.

BOTTOM LINE
It's great to have Bennett signed, even though he screwed Green Bay.

I am sorry but nobody screwed anyone here. Everyone who claims that is apparently too dense to understand a very straight forward situation and is just desperate to find yet another conspiracy theory.

Bennett got three (!!) medical opinions that told him that surgery is a reasonable decision given his injury. With the season being over in GB he decided to get that surgery and also started musing about potential retirement. Then GB got cold feet that they would be on the hook for his bonus if they just IR him, because then they wouldnt be able to just release him without an injury settlement and waived him with a complete ******** failure to disclose designation.

All that happened is business as usual and occurs all the time. Even players telling their agents to tell other teams not to claim them is happening regularly. I think it was DJ Foster who did the same thing to remain on the Pats practice squad after camp.

Why is everyone so desperate to find some kind of scheme in the entire situation ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back