PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney out week one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any confirmation of this, or are we getting all in a tizzy about an unsubstantiated rumor? (not that we haven't done THAT before :rolleyes: ;) )

If he has been listed as out this early, I think the injury might be a bit more serious then we have been led to believe!

I think this is also why its so hard to build a dynasty in today's NFL. The average NFL player only plays a couple of years. So if you win multiple Super Bowls (say 3 in 4 years) and make the playoffs in another year you almost play another season in 5 years. The average NFL player doesn't play 6 seasons let alone almost 6 seasons worth of games in only 5 years. I think its just wear and tear on the body and based on averages guys dont play that long in the NFL.

With all that I hope that Maroney is back soon along with Jackson and everyone stays healthy cause I am getting sick of all these injuries.

Again I started this thread and looked for info on numerous other sites so I could provide a link. I couldn't find anything but it has been scrolling on the Bottomline on ESPN for the last 30 minutes. I hope its just a rumor.

Last edited:
if this was week 12 with playoff seeding at stake and Dillon banged up, LoMo would suit up

but it is a weak Beefalo team at home in the season opener with a healthy Dillon and a long season ahead

sit him until we need him

D-cleater said:
I've been thinking this for years. What is up with the conditioning program on this team? They need to re-evealuate this part of the program IMO, every year its the same thing. Ofcourse many injuries are unavoidable, but at some point you have to look at whats happening to the players on this team.

If the team were constantly missing guys due to hamstrings, pulled muscles, etc... that would be one thing. We lost Tedy to a stroke - and now by a freak injury to a tiny bone in his wrist. Rodney's knee got screwed up by a weird hit in Pittsburgh. Deion a couple years back got slammed into by Stephen Neal. These injuries, and most that we've suffered, have nothing to do with the conditioning/training staff.

Last edited:
Listen...I know we are upset to see players hurt but if you look at other teams right now...some have it a lot worse than us. I know we are all excited to see Maroney in the regular season but we have the MOST depth at Running Back. I hope that we dont have to go back to signing Amoz Zeroue this season but still there is Dillon and Faulk. If they stay healthy and good I wont worry about Maroneys injury if its just a few weeks.

RhodyPatFan said:
I saw across the ESPN bottomline that Maroney is out for week one. I cant find it on ESPNs site or on anywhere else but it has came across the bottomline. Didnt know if anyone else has heard this.
On his third carry against the Skins I thought that he went down awkwardly,it just didn't look right I remember thinking that he might not get up right away. He never returned to the game,but was sitting on the bench after the commercial break and seemed to be ok....obviously not.

The worst thing about following this team is the f***ing injury secrecy. Sure, sure, I know why they do it, but I really hate the incessant secrecy and guess-work that surrounds injuries with this team. I'm tired of hearing someone "tweaked" something and then seeing him out for weeks and weeks. It's just so damn frustrating.

Crikey! (in honor of the late, great Crocodile Hunter)

Jacky Roberts said:
I"m just afraid this is going to be one of those things where he misses a ton of time, with little explanation (a la Chad Jackson). If this team takes on a lot of injuries, they are in big time trouble.
C'mon Jacky, one newsflash a day is enough for anyone. Before we get our undies wedged in tight, lets remember that there are 16 games (19 if BB's magic BB has started glowing again) and THIS is the time to make sure a kid with great potential is fully healthy before throwing him to the defense.

We might also consider that Dillon, Faulk, and Evans will do nicely against the smaller DL Jauron & Levi have put together. I expect the run game will be a bit slow to start, but by the second half the NE O-Line will be wearing down that "Indy" D-Line and the two heavy hammers will be pounding the tar out of them.

PlattsFan said:
The worst thing about following this team is the f***ing injury secrecy.

That is one of my favorite things about the Patriots--using everything at hand as a chess piece.

Last edited:
I can't find any confirmation of this, anywhere, not even ESPN's site. Where are they getting this from?

Pats are very secretive about injuries, especially in the Parcells & Belichick eras. I have a very very bad feeling about Maroney. They hid this one for quite a while, but when I heard that he only had 4 carries in the third exhibition game (the most important game), I knew he was injured, hence I started the "Did Maroney get hurt" thread. They started this, "we wanted to practice the passing game/2 minute offense" crap to deflect the truth, but when he missed a whole week of practice, you just knew something was wrong. A knee injury to a running back is like getting larygngitis for a professional singer, it's bad news.

The injury bug has already attacked us big time, and the season hasn't started yet. Mel Mitchell & Tebucky Jones, 2 guys we were counting heavily on for our special teams and safety depth, already gone for the season, Gardner, who we needed for ILB depth, gone, Chad Jackson, god knows if he'll ever get on the field this season, and now this.

The Pats had question marks, prior to training camp as far as if they were still major Super Bowl contenders (and some people were even questioning if they can win the division). Now with all these injuries, I really have to wonder.

You can tell me to calm down, and it's only going to be for week one, but until told otherwise, I am extremely worried about Maroney, and when/if he get's back on the field, I'm not too worried about Jackson, because I've already written him off as a major contributor this season, I doubt we see much of him.

Don't mean to be all doom and gloom, and though I've been questioning the Pats training methods the last few years (because of all the major injuries), I realize that most of them have come in the actual games, and usually you can't avoid that, just bad luck.

Flying Fungi said:
That is one of my favorite things about the Patriots--using everything at hand as a chess piece.
true. its better than saying a player will be back in 4 weeks and if he doesnt come back in 4 then everyone asks what happnened and if he does come back and doesnt play well, then everyone keeps asking "did he come too early?" happens all the time.

patsox23 said:
If the team were constantly missing guys due to hamstrings, pulled muscles, etc... that would be one thing. We lost Tedy to a stroke - and now by a freak injury to a tiny bone in his wrist. Rodney's knee got screwed up by a weird hit in Pittsburgh. Deion a couple years back got slammed into by Stephen Neal. These injuries, and most that we've suffered, have nothing to do with the conditioning/training staff.
Exactly, we only have to look to Ben Watson's love tap on Champ Bailey - A 250-ish TE runs down a speedy CB from behind in DENVER of all places. Tell me again how the conditioning of the Patriots isn't one of the best in the league. BB game plans to wear down the opposition - look at the Notre Dame at Georgia Tech game the other night, Tech looked great in the first half with their blitzs disrupting ND in the Georgia heat, but which team ground out a length of the field drive for a TD before the half? A northern team with a former Patriot coach wore down a southern team on their own homefield on a hot night in Georgia - tell me you haven't seen the same thing with the Patriots time and again. :cool:

The fact that both Maroney and Jackson are on the regular roster (not PUP or IR), is cause for optimism that they will be playing soon. But I'm very anxious to see both on the field, especially Maroney.

Tunescribe said:
The fact that both Maroney and Jackson are on the regular roster (not PUP or IR), is cause for optimism that they will be playing soon. But I'm very anxious to see both on the field, especially Maroney.
I still dont understand how ESPN already knows.

scott99 said:
Don't mean to be all doom and gloom, and though I've been questioning the Pats training methods the last few years (because of all the major injuries), I realize that most of them have come in the actual games, and usually you can't avoid that, just bad luck.

As you say, the training methods have little to do with the vast majority of injuries suffered by the Patriots the last few years. As for your doom and gloom, I understand the nerves, but this team is pretty deep at RB right now, I've read several reports that it's not a long-term injury - for what those reports are worth - and we're playing the Bills. It'll be okay.

Richter said:
I can't find any confirmation of this, anywhere, not even ESPN's site. Where are they getting this from?

ESPN BOTTOM LINE (mentioned in first post)

I aslo mentioned I had never heard of this and was looking to see if anyone else did. Hopefully its just poor speculation and reporting on ESPN (wouldn't be the first time).

Last edited:
If you guys look back on the last few years, since 2003 really, this team is consistenly getting derailed by injuries, and this year is no different. We've already lost two key special teams players to non-contact related injuries (Gardner got hit, I believe), our top two draft picks to non-contact related injuries... yes, we don't know whats up with Maroney, but Jackson simply has not been able to ever get on the field basically since mini camp.

Look at the list of players that were being held out of training camp on a daily basis. It's consistently in double digits.

And we haven't even played one regular season game yet! I'm almost nervous to see the players take the field, its like you're waiting to see who's next to go on IR. Not fun.

I just pray for the good health of this team this year. One thing we can NOT afford is injuries. We seem to have depth on both lines, TE, and RB, but for the other positions....... shhhhh! Quietly keep your fingers crossed and please don't even speculate what would happen if ****** got hurt. That's BB's job. Maybe I'm being superstitious, but injuries are no joke.

RhodyPatFan said:
ESPN BOTTOM LINE (mentioned in first post)

I aslo mentioned I had never heard of this and was looking to see if anyone else did. Hopefully its just poor speculation and reporting on ESPN (wouldn't be the first time).

No, I said confirmation. As in, something that confirms their bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes