PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't deal with injuries as a junior. You might think that from the stats, but he played every game but one and still had only 14 catches. Truth is, he had one very productive season where he was better than a guy on his team who was a 2nd round pick in the draft that year (and has been disappointing in the NFL), but it was in 2010 and he was poor-to-average for the rest of his college career. Also, a substantial amount of his production in 2010 (like, a third) came from that absurd Rutgers -Cincinnati game with like 1300 total yards of offense.

The fact that he trashed the room at the combine had very little to do with it - DeAndre Hopkins was involved as well and his stock actually rose post-combine.

He has bad hands and doesn't play to his speed. Here's a pre-draft writeup from a Rutgers fan on him

WR Mark Harrison: He's actually the guy who made me want to make this post. Our very own Shane P Hallam and ATL tweeted about Mark. His measurements are off the charts. Monster dude, strong, decent speed. Just somehow ALWAYS seems to create separation. I actually never understood it. As ATL put today, he's a YAC monster. However, I will tell you right now, I've cursed out Mark Harrison more than any non-QB player. I can't tell you how many WIDE open drops he'll have on streak routes. I'm talking easy 6. I'm talking OH MY GOD NOVA THREW A GOOD BALL TO THE RIGHT TEAM AND MARK ******* HARRISON HOW THE **** DID YOU DROP THAT YOU **** HEAD. like. really really really bad. And always the worst time. Most frustrating player ever because of his flashes and how good he SHOULD and COULD be, but the drops and disappearing from games (which could be Nova being the worst ever ever) just make him maddening. Could get drafted, 7th round maybe. I just...I don't know man. So frustrating.

(in the same post, this guy talked about how he loves Ryan, Harmon, and Beauharnais)

He does seem like a character guy though.

“I’ll take a win sitting on the bench on Saturday,” Harrison said. “I really don’t care about individual numbers. I consider myself a team guy and I know what this game means to all of us. That’s all that matters.”

Look, it'll be great if Harrison works out. But he probably won't. You can quote all the combine stats in the world - there was a reason he went undrafted. Then again, he's not exactly competing with worldbeaters as a WR (or even TE) on this squad right now.

I hate those kind of 'only' things. It really means one of his numbers was exceptional and the rest don't stink.
Mike and Mike are famous for this stuff:
First player since Mickey Mantle to have 20 HRs, 100 RBIs hit .300 and 17 Sacrifice Flies.
1000s of players did the first 3, and the 4th eliminates most of them and makes it sound like a rare combination but is only rare because of one outlier.

To each their own, personally, I think that Harrison is an intriguing prospect because he did have a very impressive and rare combine performance. That aside as of right now he is a workout warrior and nothing else only time will tell if those impressive athletic abilities will translate to success at the NFL level.

As I said in another post I am all for including Harrison in the mix during camp at WR and TE, maybe he gives us something and if so that is a great news story. I would not bank on anything from Harrison however, I would still draft at least one tight end and look at some UDFA tight ends as well.

I would say its very rare to find a 6'3 230lb receiver who runs a 4.3 40 sub 7 second 3 cone and has a nearly 39 inch vertical.

I am intrigued on what Harrison brings because 1. he is a physical freak and 2. Read an article that stated several GMs who interviewed Harrison pre-draft all viewed Harrison as more of a TE prospect than WR.

But how many 6'3 230 lb WRs go tot he combine?

I'm not bagging on Harrison per se, just saying those 'only guy to do these 4 things' stuff is dumb and misleading.

To each their own, personally, I think that Harrison is an intriguing prospect because he did have a very impressive and rare combine performance. That aside as of right now he is a workout warrior and nothing else only time will tell if those impressive athletic abilities will translate to success at the NFL level.

As I said in another post I am all for including Harrison in the mix during camp at WR and TE, maybe he gives us something and if so that is a great news story. I would not bank on anything from Harrison however, I would still draft at least one tight end and look at some UDFA tight ends as well.

My comments really had nothing to do with the player and more to do with the misleading comparisons.

My comments really had nothing to do with the player and more to do with the misleading comparisons.

I would not call it misleading personally. He did do the things and he was one of only a handful of players to go to the combine and achieve it. Nobody is misleading you; it is your choice how much stock you want to put into the achievements reached.

You said how many 6’3” 230 Lbs WRs go to the combine, this season these players are 6’3” 230 Lbs. –

Mike Evans
Allen Robinson
Kelvin Benjamin
Brandon Coleman
Cody Hoffman
Trey Burton

Those players were all in the same size and weight range and did not do the things that Harrison did at his workout. You see it as misleading, I see it as Harrison being a workout warrior with impressive athletic metrics that are better than most, but that does not mean he is a better football player than the players that are not as impressive in the gym or track.

But how many 6'3 230 lb WRs go tot he combine?

I'm not bagging on Harrison per se, just saying those 'only guy to do these 4 things' stuff is dumb and misleading.

Regardless of "these four things" I think we can all agree that Harrison is a rare blend of size, speed, and athleticism. It just a matter of him putting it together. He did redshirt an entire year and will have a full offseason so I am cautiously optimistic; it wouldn't surprise me if he was a week 1 starter and it wouldn't surprise me if he was cut. He is a boom or bust guy.

Reasons for my optimism:
1. He is a physical freak. Maybe workout warrior (thats what they called Poe and he turned out pretty good) maybe not?

2. Was signed by the Bears and they thought so highly of him they had Marshall mentoring him. Priority UDFA.

3. GMs viewed him as more of a tight end than receiver. His numbers say he can be that. Maybe he shows up at OTAs and added 10-15 pounds of muscle?

Edit: That being said I would still view TE as a huge need. I want the pats to add Niklas. If Harrison steps up it would be gravy. Like I said,nothing would surprise me. This kid could be the next big thing as a move tight end (Jordan Reed anyone?) or he could be cut.

Mark Harrison LOL! :p

Most likely will be this year's version of Zach DUDfeld.

I agree. Our problem at TE last year was NOT the lack of a move TE. Our problem was the lack of a reasonable TE option when Gronk was injured. If I knew that Gronk and Hooman would be healthy all year, then TE would be a much lower priority than I think it is. We'd still need a #2 TE, but the need would be much less.

It must be re-iterated, again and yet again. The Patriots don't need another #1 TE, as nice as that would be. They need a good RESERVE TE who is available. only if the All-World TE they already have, is not available.

Consequently they so not need to spend a 1 or 2 on a selection from collection of inferior TE candidates, who remind me of Hoomanawanui at best.

The Pats have depth on the Offensive line, but they need some starting quality talent there. There is only so much you can do coaching up marginal guys. Even miracle worker Coach Scarnecchia was limited, and he retired. :eek:

It must be re-iterated, again and yet again. The Patriots don't need another #1 TE, as nice as that would be. They need a good RESERVE TE who is available. only if the All-World TE they already have, is not available.

Consequently they so not need to spend a 1 or 2 on a selection from collection of inferior TE candidates, who remind me of Hoomanawanui at best.

The Pats have depth on the Offensive line, but they need some starting quality talent there. There is only so much you can do coaching up marginal guys. Even miracle worker Coach Scarnecchia was limited, and he retired. :eek:

1.Solder

2.Mankins

3.Connelly

4.Cannon

5.Vollmer

6.Wendell--6th OL active gameday

7.And top 3-4 round selection for competition at the IOL spots (hopefully center)

With Cave, Kline, and possibly Svitek in the mix for depth and competition?

Doesn't look too shabby to me....definitely not worth passing up on the talents of ASJ, Niklas, or Fiedoriwicz with the obvious need of TE depth.

Unless, of course, you are happy with a guy like Hooman as our TE2--which is a complete joke.

Priorities, AZ---Priorities...

He didn't deal with injuries as a junior. You might think that from the stats, but he played every game but one and still had only 14 catches. Truth is, he had one very productive season where he was better than a guy on his team who was a 2nd round pick in the draft that year (and has been disappointing in the NFL), but it was in 2010 and he was poor-to-average for the rest of his college career. Also, a substantial amount of his production in 2010 (like, a third) came from that absurd Rutgers -Cincinnati game with like 1300 total yards of offense.

The fact that he trashed the room at the combine had very little to do with it - DeAndre Hopkins was involved as well and his stock actually rose post-combine.

(in the same post, this guy talked about how he loves Ryan, Harmon, and Beauharnais)

He does seem like a character guy though.

Look, it'll be great if Harrison works out. But he probably won't. You can quote all the combine stats in the world - there was a reason he went undrafted. Then again, he's not exactly competing with worldbeaters as a WR (or even TE) on this squad right now.

You aren't right on Hopkins and the hotel trashing. He was shown to have left the hotel before it got trashed and the weight of the blame fell on Harrison's shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft