PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Harrison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fierce

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Guys I know it's a long shot but we do have someone on the roster with similar size/weight/speed as Hernandez.

In the signing thread everyone said he was closer to a TE than a WR in the pros. What's to stop him from gaining 10lbs and playing that same TE/WR position Hernandez played so perfectly.

I'm not saying he'd be as productive. Not even close. Hernandez was the best in the league at that role. I just think he may be better than a retread (Hooman, Fells) or someone more ideally suited to play Gronks role. (Ballard, Sudfield)

Obviously none of us knows until we see what BB does in training camp but that's what message boards are for.

Thoughts?

What's to stop him from gaining 10lbs and playing that same TE/WR position Hernandez played so perfectly.

A lack of talent is the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes Hooman is a specimen.

Plus he's from Connecticut and has some red flags for character concerns! On the other hand, he only caught 14 passes his last year in school* going undrafted (compared to Hernandez' 68 receptions). With all the Pats question marks at WR and TE, his chances of making the roster are <10%.

*Correction: his last year he had 44 receptions for 583 yards. He is viewed as WR, but lacks quickness and separation.

On the other hand, he only caught 14 passes his last year in school going undrafted (compared to Hernandez' 68 receptions).
I didn't realize his stats were so dismal. The signing thread made him sound like the second coming. 14 catches is awful.

His combine numbers surely caught a lot of attention:

• 6'3", 231 lbs
  • 4.46 40 yard dash
  • 10'9" broad jump
  • 38.5" vertical jump

Typically if you have great combine numbers but mediocre college production, you are viewed as a project - i.e., someone to coach up and with an eye on the following year, if not later.

The reason he went undrafted was not his college production though. Harrison had a foot injury (broke his 5th metatarsal at his Pro Day); that required surgery which kept him from working out for teams before the draft for any private workouts. Without that to go on he dropped from perhaps as high as a 4th round pick to being undrafted. While his numbers were not great, it is worth noting that he averaged 16 yards per catch.

We as fans have been wanting that 'big physical receiver' for a while now, and I think that BB & staff have seen the lack of success of the smaller, quick shifty guys against better defenses in recent years. Harrison is just one of many that seems to be an example of the change in philosophy for the Patriots.

Other than Danny Amendola replacing Wes Welker, consider who is not returning, to who will be in training camp this year:

6'4", 217 Michael Jenkins
6'3", 231 Mark Harrison
6'3", 210 Aaron Dobson
6'2", 213 Kamar Aiken
6'0", 208 Donald Jones
6'0", 196 Kenbrell Thompkins
5'11", 206 Josh Boyce
5'11", 194 Lavelle Hawkins

There are also these additions at TE:
6'7", 255 Zach Sudfeld
6'6", 275 Jake Ballard
6'3", 240 Brandon Ford

Replacing these players:
6'0", 200 Brandon Lloyd
5'9", 195 Deion Branch
6'0", 220 Donte' Stallworth

If Harrison is to transition to TE, my guess is that it will not be until 2014. A full year of coaching while on the Practice Squad would probably be better than counting on him to perform in the NFL at a new position.

I'm not saying he'd be as productive. Not even close. Hernandez was the best in the league at that role. I just think he may be better than a retread (Hooman, Fells) or someone more ideally suited to play Gronks role. (Ballard, Sudfield)

Ask yourself would you rather have 2 Gronks or Gronk+Hernandez?

Then ask yourself whether Mark Harrison, who has never been a TE, would make a better Hernandez replacement vs. havng Ballard or Sudfeld as Gronk replacement.

Wouldn't surprise me to see BB go to a grind it out offense with quick throws from Brady to numerous receivers. Every now and then Brady throws a bomb. Maybe depends on if the defense has jelled? I'm optimistic, and I think everyone will have a "us against the world" mentality.

It's all about the player himself. Come into camp prepared, outwork everyone, just totally blow everyone away including all the coaches. That's the only way he makes the team out of camp. Not comparing him to Tom Brady, but he spent his rookie season as the #4 QB. How ? He worked his ass off to make the team. Harrison is going to have to do the same thing. Work your way onto the team as the #6 receiver or #4 TE. The odds are really against him. BUT if his work ethic and drive/determination are equal to his measurables, he'll do it. His measurables are amazing.

Guys I know it's a long shot but we do have someone on the roster with similar size/weight/speed as Hernandez.

In the signing thread everyone said he was closer to a TE than a WR in the pros. What's to stop him from gaining 10lbs and playing that same TE/WR position Hernandez played so perfectly.

The main positive trait that AH provided was his ability to take advantage of mismatches vs LB/S's. Aside from that his presence allowed us to keep the same personnel on the field which enabled the offense to be able to run plays quickly, as the hurry up was used on 1/4 offensive plays last year. Having 2 TEs who can both attract the defense's attn as passing threats along with blocking on running plays was the biggest weapon that AH provided. It will be very difficult to replace that specific aspect.

Also keep in mind that while somewhat overrated in my opinion (even though it may be virtually impossible to replace the 2 main traits described in the previous paragraph) as an athlete and pure pass catcher here, he did have very good knowledge of our scheme and a lot of experience in all of the situations and pre-snap reads that are needed in this offense. He had a good rapport with Brady, and had 3 yrs experience of our specific nuances and specific gameplans that changed according to various opponents. A guy like Harrison is waaay behind in all of these aspects at the moment.

If Mark Harrison can even pick up and understand the playbook here it will help his cause as a WR in a big way. That is ultimately the most important aspect of sticking around, along with the hard work he shows in TC and practices.

It's hard to simply claim that you can add another 10 lbs on a completely unknown WR who may not even make the team at his known position and think that he'll be an adequate replacement for our star TE. What about his blocking, which is obviously an enormous part of being a TE--especially with our recent re-committment to the running game? Keep in mind that AH has been playing his position for quite awhile, and was the #1 prospect taken in his state during his High school run.

A lack of talent is the first thing that comes to mind.
And pizza paddle hands.

If he can hit the JUGGS machine a la David Givens, though, watch out - he could be damn good

I would love to have two Gronks on the field at the same time! Are you kidding me?????????????

Wrong Question.
th_coffee.gif

I would love to have two Gronks on the field at the same time!

Are you kidding me?????????????

Lobster??

Cracked Crab??

Tight Ends??

Flex Ends??

Why not have BOTH???

trading_places__span.jpg

Why we didn't draft Travis Kelce & Justice Cunningham ~ at #59 & #223 ~ and Jordan Reed at #83, is beyond me. :nooo: >>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/1025479-backdraft-2013-a.html <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Of course, if I'd been running things, we'd already have Jordan Cameron queued up, Baby!! :rocker:

I figured most people would skim my comments and respond so no harm no foul. I didn't suggest he would be as good or productive as Hernandez. I was simply discussing the idea that he may fill that role and work a similar area of the field.

There are a number of things going against that happening. The biggest of which being that he's an UDFA and has never played an NFL snap.

I imagine our actual two TE set this year will be Ballard/Gronk and I think that's pretty damn good.

I figured most people would skim my comments and respond so no harm no foul. I didn't suggest he would be as good or productive as Hernandez. I was simply discussing the idea that he may fill that role and work a similar area of the field.

There are a number of things going against that happening. The biggest of which being that he's an UDFA and has never played an NFL snap.

I imagine our actual two TE set this year will be Ballard/Gronk and I think that's pretty damn good.

Because of his size and speed it is a legitimate question and certainly an intriguing possibility.

Between his coming off an injury, adapting to the speed of the NFL, and having to adapt to a new role, I do think that both he and the team would probably be better off with some time on the practice squad first.

It is guys like Harrison that make what would otherwise be unwatchable preseason games worth tuning in to, to key in on and see how they perform.

OK, we have a player coming to camp who can compete with Williams for the 3rd or 4th TE spot, or more likely a spot on the Practice Squad.

I see no reason why this non-talent should affect our need to draft a TE capable of starting opposite Gronkowski, or instead of Gronk when he is injured.

Anyone, please feel free to post analysis where Harrison was considered worthy of a top draft pick or was considered to starting quality material at TE.

BTW, combine stats are lost on me. There are a lot of unemployed UDFA's with fine combine numbers.

Not sure why you seem upset? I didn't say it lessens the need for a TE in the draft. I said hmmmm maybe this kid does something in practice. It's the dog days of the offseason, lighten up.

Not sure why you seem upset? I didn't say it lessens the need for a TE in the draft. I said hmmmm maybe this kid does something in practice. It's the dog days of the offseason, lighten up.

Don't take it personally he does it with everyone that doesn't share his views.

Some here take great enjoyment suggesting those like Harrison can never make it. Same for Armstead or a Mallett trade. I don't get it but whatever.

Harrison is one of those maybes that just might help. If it could be in AH's old role that would be perfect as we're short there but deep at WR. Although I tend to be a little negative on position changes, the fact that Reiss mentioned it makes it somewhat interesting.

The reality is he's a physical freak, 15 pounds lighter than AH and lacking strength but with better straight ahead speed, almost the same change of direction and better explosion (BJ and VJ).

Reiss saying he's ready to go is exciting, I'd love to know if he's been in the weight room the last 10 months to be able to play AH spot but if not he has the physical tools to compete at WR too.

Maybe nothing will come of him. But we cut 4 of these types (injured hangers on last year) a month ago and Harrison is still here so obviously Belichick thinks he has at least some chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes