PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon traded to Texans

Probably because Houston needs the picks now and can’t afford to give up one.

I wouldn't be surprised if after all those years in NE Caserio also believes in the "outside the top 10 the draft is a unpredictable lottery so the best way to navigate it is to have many tickets" hypothesis.

It's a Walsh, Lombardi, Belichick core tenet.

If they'd be hypothetically fine with trading future assets then none of those pick swaps and day 2/3 shenanigans will really matter and they'd definitely get one of the QBs early.

But they have never under BB traded away future assets. So that's a big question mark on how strong the evaluation on Fields/Lance et al really is.

Imo the Cannon trade was just one of those something for nothing trades that puts them into a slightly better position to navigate during the draft and the Texans get a competent player and great locker room guy.

The Pats have never had to get a new QB of the future. Hell, most years they aren't even in a position to move up into the top ten not no matter how much they gave up. The only reason I see to give up a future first round pick is to get your QB of the future or say an once in a generation player falls.

But people put too much stock in what Belchick has or hasn't done in the past. There has been so many "Belichick has never..." until Belichick actually ends up doing it. We are in uncharted territory here because this will be the second draft Belichick has ever had where he didn't have a franchise QB on the roster. And the first draft was last year and the Pats were too low to trade into the top ten and the draft wasn't QB heavy last year like it is this year.

Belichick may not trade up, but I don't know if you can go on past history to say he won't.

I think we are at the point where you need to be in the top 10 to get one of the top 5 QBs.

1) Jags
2) Jets
4) Falcons
8) Carolina

The Lions are a question mark at 7. Eagles could be looking at one of the top QBs too at 6. Broncos may not be in love with Drew Lock, they have the 9th pick. And the 49ers may be in the market at 12. I think, IF Belichick is looking to draft one of the top 5 QBs, a trade to Cincy at 5 would be smart.
So do you do your 1st this year and next, plus whatever else it takes to move to 5?

Great trade when a lot of us thought he was getting released...

From Kyed:

The move frees up $6,276,250 in salary cap space and helps offset the cap hit Brown will be bringing to New England. The Patriots will enter free agency on Wednesday with well over $50 million in cap space.

how much cap space does this leave the patriots now?

@Miguel has it as ~61M not including Brown/Bethel contracts which were about ~13M...so I have it as ~48M right now...give/take a few hundo grand....

Probably need clarification on which picks in these rounds Houston is sending, but assuming it's the highest in each, NE will move from #15 to #4 in the 4th, #14 to #3 in the 5th, and #13 to #4 in the 6th.

Houston only has around $25M in cap space, I think, so this move alone knocks them down to $18M. Not a lot of room left.

Id wait for the clarification as well :) Both have a couple of picks in 4th and several 6th rounders to swap..

This moves takes just around 4M of cap for HOU atm.. (TOP 51 rule)

From Miguel's Twitter:

Marcus Cannon's dead money is 2,566,668
Net cap savings is $ 6,276,250. My new Patriots salary cap space number after the Marcus Cannon trade is $65,250,990. It does not account for Trent Brown or Justin Bethel.

Miguel's number does include presumed JC Jackson's 1st round tender (if they tender him at 2nd round cap goes up by about another 1.5M) and also Jakub Johnson's ERFA tender.
-

Last edited:
I like having that high 4th. As teams reset their respective boards we’re now near the top to grab a player who may have slipped.

I think we are at the point where you need to be in the top 10 to get one of the top 5 QBs.

1) Jags
2) Jets
4) Falcons
8) Carolina

The Lions are a question mark at 7. Eagles could be looking at one of the top QBs too at 6. Broncos may not be in love with Drew Lock, they have the 9th pick. And the 49ers may be in the market at 12. I think, IF Belichick is looking to draft one of the top 5 QBs, a trade to Cincy at 5 would be smart.

The Eagles seem to committed to Jalen Hurts at least for 2021. Jeffrey Lurie has said publicly that Hurts is their guy. I think they could be more of a potential trade partner than a rival for the available QBs.

But I agree that they will have to be in the top ten picks to get either Lance or Jones (who are likely going to be the last two of the top five off the board and the only ones realistic for the Pats to get barring a shake up at the top of the draft).

But then again, drafts can surprise you and one or two of those QBs could just fall to 15. Remember how Aaron Rodgers dropped from being the generally expected #1 pick around this time in 2005 to being drafted 24th. Unlikely to see that kind of drop of the top three QBs, but with this many QBs available there is a chance one or two drop to 15.

Patriots are great again! Yay

So is Bill using the 15th pick in the draft for an O-lineman now? Someone tell me what the depth chart is like without Cannon and Thuney on the team?

Like to see two picks close together around the top 100 mark at 96 and 109... lots of good players in this draft. One of those could easily be a developmental QB like Mond, Newman, Mills, etc.

So is Bill using the 15th pick in the draft for an O-lineman now? Someone tell me what the depth chart is like without Cannon and Thuney on the team?

Right now it have it as:

Brown, Wynn, VOID, Mason, Onwenu

I think Andrews will sign soon.....after his agent talks to other teams and sees how the wind is blowing...

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back