PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon traded to Texans

I am not sure why Nick wants him. Injury or not, last time he was on the field, it was clear he was at the end. I will be monitoring.
The last time Cannon was on the field, he played the entire season injured.. He played very well in 2018..

I like the move especially because it makes our draft pick in the mid rounds a little bit more expensive. In the event that we need to use them to trade.

He's just citing McBride and could be speculating - is there specification in McB report? I dont have access.

EDIUT: McBride's story only says about swapping Picks. The CBS and USA today get into particulars.

USA Today is saying the same thing:

"With the draft pick swap, the Patriots will move their draft picks up several spots. Their 120th overall pick will now move up to 109th overall. The 158th pick they had will move up to 147th overall. The 196th overall pick the team had will now move up a couple of spots to 187th overall."

USA Today is saying the same thing:

"With the draft pick swap, the Patriots will move their draft picks up several spots. Their 120th overall pick will now move up to 109th overall. The 158th pick they had will move up to 147th overall. The 196th overall pick the team had will now move up a couple of spots to 187th overall."

Thanks but the only orig source is McBride - does he have these specifications in his report - if you have access to his article..

Brown and bethel aren’t that much.
Bethel was 3 years 6M...so AAV of 2?

Brown signed a 4 year 66 deal...and I thought his salary alone was 11 AAV?

Do yourself a favor and correct your current cap # closer to 60M :)
(And that should include Brown, Bethel + tenders of JC Jackson & Jakub Johnson)

I'll trust Miguel once he updates Brown/Bethel.

Either way...it's a **** ton of money!!! LFG!!!

Bethel was 3 years 6M...so AAV of 2?

Brown signed a 4 year 66 deal...and I thought his salary alone was 11 AAV?
AAV and cap are not the same thing. Browns contract was reworked and there are reports the cap hit is 5-8 mill. We don’t know yet.

Since he's from Texas, he probably won't mind the trade. But if he does, take a page out of Gronk's playbook and say "you're retiring" and let Caserio think of whether he still wants to go through with the trade.

Seymour played it wrong by just holding out when the trade was already completed.
IIRC Sey did not hold out on 2009 although he did hold out in 2005

AAV and cap are not the same thing. Browns contract was reworked and there are reports the cap hit is 5-8 mill. We don’t know yet.

Yep, I understand the ramifications of cap numbers vs. cash outlay...but Brown was traded...so we are only taking on his salary and word had it as a pay cut. Brown had a 4 year 66M deal with ~37M guaranteed. He played a year....so 29M non-guaranteed money over 4 years is around 7-7.5M...not including the pay cut. So, your 5-8M estimate could be good.

Say it is 8...Bethel is 2....deduct 10M from Miguel's number...still like I said above...a **** ton of moolah...

Thanks but the only orig source is McBride - does he have these specifications in his report - if you have access to his article..

Why do you keep harping on McBride when that is NOT the source for the USA Today Article? Neither McBride nor the Boston Globe are mentioned by the USA Today Article.. Also, I already stated that McBride's article doesn't mention squat about the actual picks traded.

FWIW, those pick swaps are roughly equivalent to the Texans giving up 147 outright.

I wouldn't be surprised if after all those years in NE Caserio also believes in the "outside the top 10 the draft is a unpredictable lottery so the best way to navigate it is to have many tickets" hypothesis.

It's a Walsh, Lombardi, Belichick core tenet.
Walsh moved up as much as he moved back (Jerry Rice for Trevor Matich). He looked for players not hypotheticals. Vince was the same. The draft was really the only way to improve your team in those days. You needed your 1st through 4th rounders to contribute as rookies and the pool of NFL caliber athletes was much thinner that it is now. Half the league was not comprised of late rounders and UDFAs like it is now.

I can’t image how dominant the Packers of the 60s, Steelers of 70s and 49ers of the 80s would have been if they had a wave of veteran free agents available to them every year who they could sign for cheap money to come play for a Super Bowl with Bart, Terry or Joe.

FWIW, those pick swaps are roughly equivalent to the Texans giving up 147 outright.
Which is why it's a good trade for Caserio since he gets to keep all his picks (even with lesser value) and Cannon.

Why do you keep harping on McBride when that is NOT the source for the USA Today Article? Neither McBride nor the Boston Globe are mentioned by the USA Today Article.. Also, I already stated that McBride's article doesn't mention squat about the actual picks traded.

So far they are all using and crediting McBride. The only one not doing so is Rapoport who talks just about swap of picks. With no source confirmation on exact swaps and so many options in 4th and 6th on both sides to swap (that clickbaiting outlets dont care to check) - id wait for confirmation.

History says its rarely the most optimistic outcome - and id be surprised if the trade was for that much between Bill and Nick (double what they gave up for Brown):

So far they are all using and crediting McBride. The only one not doing so is Rapoport who talks just about swap of picks. With no source confirmation on exact swaps and so many options in 4th and 6th on both sides to swap (that clickbaiting outlets dont care to check) - id wait for confirmation.

History says its rarely the most optimistic outcome - and id be surprised if the trade was for that much between Bill and Nick (double what they gave up for Brown):
So, fake news?

Damn it, Pats suck again. Sigh

Was hoping to see Cannon play here this year - I'm a huge fan of his. But when i read that he hadn't reported to Gillette at all, I knew that he was gone.

Good trade, though. I wish him well in Houston. Very underappreciated guy here.

I hope the report on the compensation is true. I hoped we could recoup some value for Cannon, but figured a 6th would be the ceiling. To get the value equivalent of an early 5th is a win.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back