PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning: gave Broncs a hometown discount

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom Condon loses out on expected payday

Perhaps saying Condon 'loses out' on a payday is a stretch - but apparently he was looking forward to creating a bidding war and top dollar that never transpired when Peyton Manning left Indianapolis and became a free agent.

As a bit of background, there was once long-standing speculation that the Patriots would not deal with any players represented by Condon after the negotiations with Ben Watson back when the Patriots drafted him.

Mark Herzlich Unlikely to Be a Patriot Due to Team's Sour Relationship With Tom Condon and 19 Other Thoughts | New England Patriots | NESN.com

As much as we razz occasionally razz Manning here, I do think it was pretty cool of him to (allegedly) place a ceiling on his salary when he hit free agency. Of course one needs to place a very large disclaimer to the news: since this is coming from the agent, Condon, you have to wonder how much truth there is to the story, and what the motivation was for making this revelation.

Andrew Brandt's owners meeting primer, plus sports law takeaways | The MMQB

Tom Condon relayed the fascinating and humorous story of Peyton Manning’s free agency. With 12 teams interested, Condon licked his chops, anticipating a certain record-breaking deal. Manning, however, was in charge; he would make four visits and then decide. Now down to four instead of twelve teams, Condon was disappointed but still confident in a megadeal. Manning, however, said he wanted to pick the team first, before any negotiations would ensue, meaning Condon was now down to one team to negotiate with. And when Manning picked Denver, he simply asked Condon:

“What does Tom Brady make?”

“$18 million a year.”

“Then I don’t want to make a penny more than that.”

Condon’s visions of a $25 million a year deal were dashed, although the Broncos’ opening offer was $19.4 million a year. Condon phoned to tell Manning, who was incensed:

“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!”

Condon apologized, hung up and called Manning’s wife, who responded, “I’ll take care of it,” and coaxed Manning to accept the Broncos’ offer.

Condon was also revealing in admitting that, in his 35 years as a player and agent, the NFLPA has never been able to make serious gains at the bargaining table like the MLBPA has, and admitted to the losses in the 2011 CBA negotiations.​

Last edited:
I think this is one of the most ball washing articles I've read, but for your amusement:

Why Peyton Manning Had To Be Talked Into Getting Salary Bigger Than Brady's | ThePostGame
In this era of supersize contracts and supersize egos, rare is it the case that a player refuses to accept more money than he thinks he's worth.

As if Peyton Manning hasn't already carved out his place as one of the classiest pros around, a new story regarding his salary negotiations should reinforce his stellar reputation.

Condon thought Manning could command $25 million a year...

He asked Condon how much Tom Brady made
“I don’t want to make a penny more than that," Manning said.
The Broncos offered $19.4 million
“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!” Manning chirped.
Condon apologized and asked to speak with Manning's wife, who ultimately coaxed him into accepting the deal.

So if the Broncos offered 19.4m, that means the Broncos were not told Manning didn't want to make more than Brady -- because if they were told that, they would've offered 18m.
Hence the agent's "he could've made 25" line is basically rebunked.
Also, Manning's "18 is enough" is rebunked when he actually accepts the 19.4 -- instead of saying 'spend the extra 1.4 (or 7 as the agent would lead you to believe) on others.

And finally, if it's not about the money for Manning, maybe he should consider playing for Brady's 10m instead.

But anyways, we as readers aren't supposed to actually analyze these statements; we're just expected to praise Manning for being such a unselfish human.

Reads and sounds like a load of **** to me.

Who cares? "$18 million is enough" is one of those lines literally nobody on this forum will speak even in their wildest dreams so I'm not sure we can even pretend to put ourselves in those shoes.

giselle probably forgot what a small amount 1.5 million dollars is

It's a story told by the agent. It's a load of crap. As Manning made obvious to the world last year, he's obsessed with having the numbers. There's no way he'd have taken less than, or the same as, Brady. Hell, we already knew that from his Indianapolis days, when the owners would say flat-out that they were going to make him the highest paid.

Just another fluff piece special for Manning.

But the fact is what Brady did the season after when he did his extension just craps all over this story.

Cap Hits
2013: $13.8 million ($1m base, $9.2m bonus, $3.6m misc)
2014: $14.8 million ($2m base, $9.2m bonus, $3.6m misc)
2015: $13 million ($7m base, $6m bonus)
2016: $14 million ($8m base, $6m bonus)
2017: $15 million ($9m base, $6m bonus)
AAV of contract $14.1m

Manning
Cap Hits
2013: $17.5m ($15m base, $2.5m misc)
2014: $17.5m ($15m base, $2.5m misc)
2015: $21.5m ($19m base $2.5m misc)
2016: $21.5m ($19m base, $2.5m misc)
AAV of contract $19.2m

He is still the richest Pizza delivery boy in history.

So we're supposed to believe that if Peyton Manning told Elway and the Broncos "I'd rather make a bit less," they'd have told him to hit the road?

I don't even understand what the article is attempting to suggest. If Manning wanted to take less money, I'm sure DEN would have been more than happy to accommodate him.

It's P.R. Everyone KNOWS they have to do something/anything to attempt to piece Humpty Dumpting back together after that embarrassing Super Bowl performance. He's a gigantic, make that THE gigantic, cash cow all the NFL rumpswabs and revenue goons are lusting to attach their little red wagons to...if only he'd come through.

There's untold numbers of clawing, grasping little sideline vermin with dreams of riches and fame dancing around in their pinheads, just waiting to get in on the post Manning career chronicle fest...but, the devil is in that pesky little detail...you gotta go out a WINNER. You gotta Ray Lewis the sports media. Being destroyed like a washed up clone of Carson Palmer just won't cut it.

It's P.R. Everyone KNOWS they have to do something/anything to attempt to piece Humpty Dumpting back together after that embarrassing Super Bowl performance. He's a gigantic, make that THE gigantic, cash cow all the NFL rumpswabs and revenue goons are lusting to attach their little red wagons to...if only he'd come through.

There's untold numbers of clawing, grasping little sideline vermin with dreams of riches and fame dancing around in their pinheads, just waiting to get in on the post Manning career chronicle fest...but, the devil is in that pesky little detail...you gotta go out a WINNER. You gotta Ray Lewis the sports media. Being destroyed like a washed up clone of Carson Palmer just won't cut it.

I just want to hear someone ask Manning "what do you think John Elway would have said if you'd have asked him for less money?"

The whole suggestion that he was somehow forced to take more money is just flat out ridiculous.

Funny that guys like Florio who found a way to rip on Brady for actually taking less (even though it was still a sweet deal for him) aren't going to say a word about this particular suggestion.

I just want to hear someone ask Manning "what do you think John Elway would have said if you'd have asked him for less money?"

The whole suggestion that he was somehow forced to take more money is just flat out ridiculous.

Funny that guys like Florio who found a way to rip on Brady for actually taking less (even though it was still a sweet deal for him) aren't going to say a word about this particular suggestion.

No, see: it was his agent that forced him to take more. Since clearly he's accountable to his agent and not vice versa.

So we're supposed to believe that if Peyton Manning told Elway and the Broncos "I'd rather make a bit less," they'd have told him to hit the road?

I don't even understand what the article is attempting to suggest. If Manning wanted to take less money, I'm sure DEN would have been more than happy to accommodate him.
IMHO the article is trying to portray Manning as more of a team player. Him refusing salary makes more money available for others.

However, much like everyone else in this thread, I do not believe a word of it for a second. I respect Manning as a great QB, but this guy never turned down a single dollar offered to him. This is a guy who is well known for regularly taking hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend sweet-16's and bar mitzvahs.

(I am not making that last part up - that is totally serious)

This is a guy who is well known for regularly taking hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend sweet-16's and bar mitzvahs.

I don't know of any sweet 16's or bar mitzvahs coming up, but if we start to pool our money together now, we can have a big end of year blowout with the fivehead just for ****s and giggles.

Who's in?

IMHO the article is trying to portray Manning as more of a team player. Him refusing salary makes more money available for others.

However, much like everyone else in this thread, I do not believe a word of it for a second. I respect Manning as a great QB, but this guy never turned down a single dollar offered to him. This is a guy who is well known for regularly taking hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend sweet-16's and bar mitzvahs.

I am sure you must have a link cause this seems like the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. What girl would want Peyton manning at her sweet 16.

Edit
Never mind I found a link..too funny
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61767

Although he disputes it

http://www.aolnews.com/2007/03/08/peyton-manning-says-it-wasnt-a-sweet-16-party/

Regardless of the reality of it this just makes Brady look good. If true then Manning is saying that he has to sacrifice at least as much for his team as Brady, which makes him the standard. If it is just a cynical ploy then he's lying to make himself look like he's just as much of a team player as Brady is, once again, point Brady.

Personally I am proud of Peyton for his willingness to strive to greatness even at this late point in his career. He isn't going to get there, but it is good he still tries.

Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

No wonder P6's forehead is so big. Tom Brady is inside his head.

He is still the richest Pizza delivery boy in history.

peyton_manning_owns_21_papa_johns_franchises_and_colorado_legalizes_pot-10461.gif

Did Manning offer the Colts a discount, or to restructure?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back