PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would never trade Smith they invested in him have been patient and not reaping the benefits.
No way will they part with him.

What do you think about ogbah from the browns? They have a lot of defensive line pieces.

For people saying "nothing to see here" I think this is an interesting outcome.
For the past two years, Malcolm Butler was clearly CB#1. He played against big receivers, fast receivers, anything.
Now he is a situational player. Further, he hasn't looked great through the pre-season and first two games.

The play in the end zone with twins left - wasn't that sort of the mirror of his claim to fame game? He got washed out of the play, his receiver was wide open for the TD.
That's notable.

We didn't have anyone last year, tall or otherwise. Commend Butler for playing like a #1 and if he gets someone to pay him like one, good for him. My guess is, here or there he won't $$$.

Meanwhile, people are hung up on the Cinderella story.

Butler looked suspect in the preseason, and I hoped/figured he would turn it around but he certainly hasn't yet. If he's letting contract unhappiness get in the way of his performance, he won't be here for long. Which would be a bummer, but if it comes out tomorrow that Belichick traded him for a 3rd/4th I'll assume the reasoning aligns roughly with the Collins trade and be fine with it.

Well the Boston media is at it again - now working on running Malcolm Butler out of town. Guy has played his ass for for 2 years. Now not playing as well, so media going to crap on him regularly. Malcolm is not blameless in this, but BB knows how to get the best performance out of players. Instead of giving it some time, we hear about his crappy attitude and being a malcontent. Add Butler to the long list of athletes, often good ones, the Boston media decided to target.

browns aren't going to waste their time with a guy who may run after the year is over

Idk. They're the browns and they have a ton of picks coming up. The browns will be the browns. A lot of people think they're an upcoming team. I don't see it.

Well the Boston media is at it again - now working on running Malcolm Butler out of town. Guy has played his ass for for 2 years. Now not playing as well, so media going to crap on him regularly. Malcolm is not blameless in this, but BB knows how to get the best performance out of players. Instead of giving it some time, we hear about his crappy attitude and being a malcontent. Add Butler to the long list of athletes, often good ones, the Boston media decided to target.

I like the guy as well. I hope he stays and help some us win a championship. That pick will always make him a patriot.

We've seen the Marginalize this guy! movie before (Welker, Collins).

We've seen the Marginalize this guy! movie before (Welker, Collins).
Although Collins was more after the fact - BB surprised many there.

I wonder if the pressure's getting to him. He knows he has to perform if he will get a big money contract. I have seen him play very good at times. I would hate to trade him because you can never have enough corner depth unless they get something on the defensive line or LB

Find this hard to believe. He's played tons of playoff games, 2 Super Bowls and made the biggest play in SB history in the biggest moment of it. I think it's a combo of attitude and just being exploited by the scheme. I said on this board a week after the SB that Butler was arguably our worst player on D and everyone laughed at me. He was really not great that game.

Well it looks like we've been duped again by the local mediots (especially at NESN). :rolleyes:. Really? I mean REALLY guys?!!! ;) As soon as I read the tweets from Zack Cox and saw he was from NESN, I knew it was just another example of the mediots trying to CREATE the story. If you put Giardi's name on that tweet you wouldn't have known the difference.

Christ I would have thought by now we'd become sophisicated enough that we'd understand that who "starts" the game has no meaning except for QB's and maybe the OL. All preseason long we discussed the benefits of having guys like Rowe and Gilmore to counter the big WR's and how Butler might be used in the slot against certain matchups. So why do we now need a 5 page thread to discuss......nothing.

Then it gets worse when Cox determines that by simply not praising Butler means he's "in the dog house". That is huge stretch of speculation that seems to be now reported as fact. So now we'll get more stories and commentaries about Butler's fall from grace all week and the mediots will have an easy narrative to fill their columns and air time. Again all over .....nothing.

While I think a discussion about Butler's production this year is valid and a worthy topic. However this discussion of whether he's in "in the doghouse" or being snubbed is just ridiculous at bets, or just made up, at worst. Just sayin'

Against KC, Butler played the left boundary almost exclusively, and Gilmore played the right boundary almost exclusively. When Rowe came on as the nickel, he played mostly slot, but all three got moved around a bit.

Against NOL, Gilmore primarily played the left boundary, Rowe started at right boundary. When Butler came in, it appeared that he primarily played the right boundary, while Rowe moved to the slot.

In 2016, through the Week-8 BYE, BB and Patricia tinkered a lot with the CB rotation involving the right boundary and the slot. Rowe, Ryan and Coleman were all part of that. In the early part of the season, Ryan played primarily the right boundary while Coleman came in to cover the slot in the nickel. Once Rowe got over his early-season ankle issues and began to pick up the defense, his role expanded, and the tinkering became more about Rowe and Ryan.

Some games Ryan would start on the right boundary and switch to slot when Rowe came in to cover the right boundary, and some games it was exactly the reverse, with Rowe moving from the right boundary to the slot when Ryan came in. Some games Rowe would play the right boundary primarily while Ryan came in to man the slot directly. By week-10, Rowe had completely replaced Coleman in the rotation, although the role-switching between Rowe and Ryan continued for most of the rest of the season with Cy Jones being included in the right boundary/slot rotations in a couple of games toward the very end of the regular season.

Through all of this tinkering in 2016 (and in 2015), Butler was almost exclusively playing the left boundary (and the left boundary was being played almost exclusively by Butler), though there were a couple of games when Butler followed a specific receiver almost regardless where the receiver lined up. And there were also a couple of games when Butler played some slot snaps regardless which receiver was lined up there. However, Butler almost never lined up to play the right boundary.

Gilmore has had significant past experience playing both boundary positions, as well as some slot.

From the time he began with the Pats last season, Rowe seemed pretty natural on the right boundary. AFAIK, he hasn't played much on the left boundary.

Butler's previous experience, AFAIK, has been almost exclusively playing the left boundary.

The fact that Butler was playing so much on the right boundary against NOL is significant, but I very strongly doubt that it's any kind of "demotion." I believe it's an attempt to make Butler - and, thus, the entire secondary - more versatile.

When BB was asked about Butler, he said, “Look, we’re into a new season, so I don’t think anybody’s performance this season is really where it needs to be or where it will be, ...” In Twitterworld this has been translated to, "... made it clear that the Patriots are not happy with Malcolm Butler."

For a CB, attempting to play the right boundary, after having spent years practicing the techniques and playing the left boundary, is very difficult - at least as difficult as a CB attempting to learn how to play press-man after having played zone-read exclusively for his entire career. To switch sides, the CB needs to take all his ingrained techniques and natural instincts and play a mirror version of them (that works both ways, too). More CBs fail in the attempt than succeed. Some CBs manage to adapt very quickly. More often, it's a process that simply takes time and reps.

So, my interpretation of BB's comment about Butler is just that he's not there - yet. However, if Butler continues to work at it and succeeds, by the end of the season, this secondary is likely to be downright scary for opposing offenses. OCs will have no effing clue which DB will be covering which offensive player from play-to-play. The secondary will have become nearly "positionless."

Chess to checkers.

Who is crapping on him?

Some think they might trade butler. I just don't see how they do it unless they get something good back in return.

This. They'll take a comp pick before settling for pennies on the dollar. Every week he goes out there and is average, his price goes down, both in trade value now, and in AAV next year and going forward.

They would never trade Smith they invested in him have been patient and not reaping the benefits.
No way will they part with him.

They would in a heartbeat for a #2 CB. Their secondary is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST