PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pat's depth at corner couldn't be better. I don't get all the hand wringing.

The concern isn't current depth.

It's Malcolm's play.

Is it possible that this whole thing is a ploy by BB to "light a fire" under Malcolm Butler?
Also, any chance Butler is hurt? Its a contract year essentially so I wouldn't think he would be half-assing it.

The Pats put Sherman opposite Gillmore and instantly have the best the best CB pair in football, Graham plays the part of Aaron Hernandez (minus the wholesale killings) and the two teams meet in the Superbowl to figure out who got the better of the deal.

Which he cant do because he is essentially just a very tall receiver whereas Hernandez was closer to an h-back. But screw it both have TE in their positional title, right ?

Trade him to the Browns

I wouldn't trade him but that's just me. Unless they get a very good defensive piece.

I wonder if it's a case of opponents having scouted his tendencies, and playing off those? Time to make adjustments of his own if that's true.

He may be struggling as a pass defender right now, but he's still one of the best tacklers in the Pats' secondary. Saw several solid hits in run support last week. Let's hope his coverage issues are just a bump in the road.

It's difficult to evaluate these CBs in a vacuum because the Patriots have outstanding safeties. McCourty and Harmon are easily the best FS combo in the league (most teams don't even have two FS on the field at once.). Harmon woukd start on many teams while McCourty is without question a perennial all-pro caliber player.

I've brought up a few times that Butler got absolutely roasted in SB51. He gave up numerous big plays, had an inexcusably horrible PI call in 3rd down (just before Atlanta went up 28-3), and was badly beaten by a no name for a possible 70-yard TD had Hightower not stip sacked Ryan. Rowe had tremendous coverage on Jones in SB51 despite Jones being 4/4. Ryan and Rowe both came on very strong towards the end of last season.

Butler's struggles seem to have continued this year. I don't know if it's injuries, age (he is 27, which is not young for a CB), schematic changes, attitude, etc. I don't think he's a bad CB by any means, but the line between him and the rest of the Patriots CBs has been blurry for some time now. I use Chris Harris Jr. as a benchmark player for a smaller CB like Butler, and I don't think Butler is even close to Harris.

Anyway, I've always appreciated Butler and wish he could remain a Patriot, but I think it's clear the Patriots aren't even in the same ball park from a contract perspective. They already made their decision when they signed Gilmore to a monster deal. There is no way they are spending $13M on Gilmore, $9M on McCourty, $5M on Harmon, and then forking over another huge deal to another CB when they have other inexpensive assets (Rowe, Jones) who are developing nicely.

It's difficult to evaluate these CBs in a vacuum because the Patriots have outstanding safeties. McCourty and Harmon are easily the best FS combo in the league (most teams don't even have two FS on the field at once.). Harmon woukd start on many teams while McCourty is without question a perennial all-pro caliber player.

I've brought up a few times that Butler got absolutely roasted in SB51. He gave up numerous big plays, had an inexcusably horrible PI call in 3rd down (just before Atlanta went up 28-3), and was badly beaten by a no name for a possible 70-yard TD had Hightower not stip sacked Ryan. Rowe had tremendous coverage on Jones in SB51 despite Jones being 4/4. Ryan and Rowe both came on very strong towards the end of last season.

Butler's struggles seem to have continued this year. I don't know if it's injuries, age (he is 27, which is not young for a CB), schematic changes, attitude, etc. I don't think he's a bad CB by any means, but the line between him and the rest of the Patriots CBs has been blurry for some time now. I use Chris Harris Jr. as a benchmark player for a smaller CB like Butler, and I don't think Butler is even close to Harris.

Anyway, I've always appreciated Butler and wish he could remain a Patriot, but I think it's clear the Patriots aren't even in the same ball park from a contract perspective. They already made their decision when they signed Gilmore to a monster deal. There is no way they are spending $13M on Gilmore, $9M on McCourty, $5M on Harmon, and then forking over another huge deal to another CB when they have other inexpensive assets (Rowe, Jones) who are developing nicely.

I wonder if the pressure's getting to him. He knows he has to perform if he will get a big money contract. I have seen him play very good at times. I would hate to trade him because you can never have enough corner depth unless they get something on the defensive line or LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes