PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't underrate butler.

Yeah, you do.

You think he's a top cb?

Depends

Top what? Top 5? No. Top 10 or 20? Yes, he's been a top 10 or 20 CB, no question.

2015 Pro Bowl
2016 2nd team All-Pro

Even if those are slight overreaches (not going to argue that), it still puts him up near the top of the CB lists.

And your opinion means what exactly?

My track record for accuracy of opinion on players is pretty good, though it's certainly not perfect. You're welcome to put yours up against mine, though. Feel free to go back all the way to when you arrived here, in 2011.

I expect to be recognized as correct and i expect others to admit that they were lousy bums not I.

In order to be recognized as correct, you should first strive to actually be correct. You threw out a claim that he wasn't a top 20 CB. Ok, compile a list of 20 cbs who were no-brainer, clearly better than Butler in 2016. When you realize that such a list doesn't exist, because there weren't 20 such players, don't worry about apologizing. Just let the matter go, and move on.

I expect you to continue being insufferable.

And I expect you to continue taking needless personal shots at me in order to cover your insecurities about your ****ty opinion on where Butler's fallen on the CB lists in the past couple of years. Hell, I'm not even a Butler honk: I agreed with you that people here have overrated him, yet you're going personal on me because I said I won't give you a cookie.

And you're still not going to get a cookie.

He and his agent are headed towards unrestricted free agency, pursuing long term gains over short term security. He is like plenty of athletes that have come before. They know he won't be franchised and have played their hand very wisely.

I think you give his agent more credit than he deserves, when he tried to "shop" Butler last year to other NFL teams the agent failed miserably.. it seems that this "agent" who is a JAG, is completely out of his league..

Do not see the wisdom in any of this, particularly as the Patriots have lost faith in his ability to do what is expected.of your theory is true he is being disloyal to the Patriots....

Are you implying that Butler is "tanking" so he can save his body and still get "paid"?? IMO his value would increase if he continued to play at a high level..

I think you give his agent more credit than he deserves, when he tried to "shop" Butler last year to other NFL teams the agent failed miserably..
How so? He was a restricted free agent with a 1st round tender. He had virtually no control of the situation. While they flirted with New Orleans, they ultimately didn’t find any team willing to pay a big salary AND the draft pick it would have cost. That is hardly a unique situation.

What was the agent supposed to do that he didn’t do? In what way did he “fail miserably”??

Just admit it: your obsessive hatred for the agent is based on the fact that he didn’t take a major home town discount to sign long term in NE. If he took 4 years, $23 million here, you’d be talking about what a genius he was.

Conspiracy theory #1,798:

Could the Pats be sitting Butler a little bit to see how their secondary plays without him on the field, in order to gauge what they'd have if Butler were traded mid-season (like Jamie Collins was)? I'm just throwing poop at the wall here. If you look at it from a management perspective, Jimmy G and Butler are FA's at seasons end and only 1 can be franchised. Maybe the Pats will move Butler for help elsewhere, or a draft pick.

I'm a Butler fan btw. I love his compete level.

We used to decide whether we need 5 or 6 corners, because of the importance of having backups in case of injury. Trading Butler would leave us with 3 corners plus a special teamer. That is simply not enough.

Conspiracy theory #1,798:

Could the Pats be sitting Butler a little bit to see how their secondary plays without him on the field, in order to gauge what they'd have if Butler were traded mid-season (like Jamie Collins was)? I'm just throwing poop at the wall here. If you look at it from a management perspective, Jimmy G and Butler are FA's at seasons end and only 1 can be franchised. Maybe the Pats will move Butler for help elsewhere, or a draft pick.

I'm a Butler fan btw. I love his compete level.

We used to decide whether we need 5 or 6 corners, because of the importance of having backups in case of injury. Trading Butler would leave us with 3 corners plus a special teamer. That is simply not enough.

If you buy into the "Butler's outta here!" theory, that would explain why the team seemingly has 534 DBs on the practice squad.

If you buy into the "Butler's outta here!" theory, that would explain why the team seemingly has 534 DBs on the practice squad.

If we had an injury, EVEN WITH BUTLER HERE, we would need to add a CB.

If we had an injury, EVEN WITH BUTLER HERE, we would need to add a CB.

Yes, but the team normally doesn't seemingly carry 534 DBs in case 1 is needed. It's a legit point to be made, and it may even have merit (I have no idea what they're thinking is on Butler right now).

If Butler is traded....do we have just 3 reliable CB's or 6 reliable DB's? Gilmore, Rowe, Jones, Chung, McCourty and Harmon.

Mix and match....that's a strong unit team-wise.....top 10 IMO

Last edited:

It is damn peculiar....

Butler is not being shipped out just yet but I do think BB is in contingency planning mode just in case.

If Butler is traded....do we have just 3 reliable CB's or 6 reliable DB's? Gilmore, Rowe, Jones, Chung, McCourty and Harmon.

Mix and match....that's a strong unit team-wise.....top 10 IMO

Yes, we have a fine secondary. Considering Rowe and Jones to be anywhere near top ten takes a huge set of rose colored glasses.

But let us say that this is a top ten secondary.
1) Would it be better by adding a corner the quality of Butler, who know the system? Of course it would!
2) and just BTW, your top ten secondary would be team WEAKNESS with just one injury (to McCourty or to any corner).

BOTTOM LINE
We NEED a 4th quality corner.

Yes, we have a fine secondary. Considering Rowe and Jones to be anywhere near top ten takes a huge set of rose colored glasses.

But let us say that this is a top ten secondary.
1) Would it be better by adding a corner the quality of Butler, who know the system? Of course it would!
2) and just BTW, your top ten secondary would be team WEAKNESS with just one injury (to McCourty or to any corner).

BOTTOM LINE
We NEED a 4th quality corner.

I agree and did not say Rowe and Jones were top 10. What i tried to say is as a unit...those 6...as a unit is top 10 in my opinion.

And I agree it would be wonderful to replace Butler with a top CB....but where does BB see more of a need? CB, DE, LB, QB, etc.

The writing is on the wall, I suspect if an 8-8ish team offer a 2nd round draft pick for Butler BB makes that trade, we need draft picks, BB used a lot lately for trades.

I agree and did not say Rowe and Jones were top 10. What i tried to say is as a unit...those 6...as a unit is top 10 in my opinion.

And I agree it would be wonderful to replace Butler with a top CB....but where does BB see more of a need? CB, DE, LB, QB, etc.

Yes, if Butler is thrown away for a draft choice, we'd be arguing with regard to the greatest need. I would think that the answer is CB, which is why he is going nowhere. Besides, if Belichick wants someone from another position, he can simply pony up a draft choice. Player for player trades are relatively rare, but they do happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back