PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Signs His Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As talented as Butler is, the fact is he is undersized and he would see Julio Jones (6'3), Mike Evans (6'5), and Kelvin Benjamin (6'5) 2 times each season if traded to New Orleans. I'm not saying he won't improve the Saints; they are so bad he most definitely will but it's something to think about considering the price and the picks they would have to give up.

I would really miss Butler and I'd certainly prefer to see him here this year, but 32 + 42 (as other posters mentioned may be in play for Butler & Lewis) would be great value in this draft. Intriguing stuff all around.

Indeed. I'm not saying it's happening, but everything is now in place for any wink/nod deals that might have been put into place earlier.

They had Ryan Ramczyk in for a visit today, one of the few potential first rounders they've met with for a while. Just as a, maybe unrelated, aside. Also had Teez Tabor in for a visit. Not saying these things are related to a Butler trade but you could draw a line between the two if you looked hard enough.

Isn't required to however.

When everything points to one direction BB usually goes another . but in this case trading Butler indeed seems imminent.

#1 reason I see for a while now is somewhat biophilosphycal: it's not natural to keep two #1 CBs (stallions) in one stable. Something's gotta give. So to me if the price is right (or even ok) Butler's gone.

#2 BB will not start drafting at 72.

#3 Pats visits with projected high round prospects are increasing. Usually its not done with high prospects so close to draft unless there's real possibility.

#4 With possibility of bringing in J-Mac and very possible second yr jump from both Jones' Pats don't exactly need Butler (but they can certainly use him)

#5 The process of Butler's trade is long time in the making and has a ballpark price tag established (referenced in his involvement in Cooks trade talks)
___

Talking about price tag Butler's signing the tender and not offer sheet confirmed that Butler's not worth 1st rounder to the league except possibly the Saints for the #32.

Since the Pats don't have a need to trade Butler they might be asking for more (many combinations possible for something in-between). The easiest and Pats best case option IMO is 42+76 (=#27). More realistic is 32 or even 42+103. But it will be a steep price for the Saints in any case from both draft capital and cap space aspect. NO have only 7 picks and a lot of talent to add..
___

If I would have to trade Butler (as situation points) Id do the following:

Take the 42+76.
Trade up for Jarrad Davis.
Take one of Willis/Basham (Lawson/Bowser if you prefer) with 72 or 76.

This would fill the last two positions of certain need and upgrade the incredible roster to the point that it shouldn't even be allowed..

Last edited:
With absolutely no insider knowledge, this suggests to me that he is gone. Reiss made this point a few weeks ago, that if Butler signs his tender before 21Apr17 the probability of him being traded is exponentially higher.

Last edited:
When everything points to one direction BB usually goes another . but in this case trading Butler indeed seems imminent.

#1 reason I see for a while now is somewhat biophilosphycal: its not natural to keep two #1 CBs (stallions) in one stable. Something's gotta give. So to me if the price is right (or even ok) Butler's gone.

#2 BB will not start drafting at 72.

#3 Pats visits with projected high round prospects are increasing. Usually its not done with high prospects so close to draft unless there's real possibility.

#4 With possibility of bringing in J-Mac and very possible second yr jump from both Jones' Pats don't exactly need Butler (but they can certainly use him)

#5 The process of Butler's trade is long time in the making and has a ballpark price tag established (referenced in his involvement in Cooks trade talks)
___

Talking about price tag Butler's signing the tender and not offer sheet confirmed that Butler's not worth 1st rounder to the league except possibly the Saints for the #32.

Since the Pats don't have a need to trade Butler they might be asking for more (many combinations possible for something in-between). The easiest and Pats best case option IMO is 42+76 (=#27). More realistic is 32 or even 42+103. But it will be a steep price for the Saints in any case from both draft capital and cap space aspect. NO have only 7 picks and a lot of talent to add..
___

If I would have to trade Butler (as situation points) Id do the following:

Take the 42+76.
Trade up for Jarrad Davis.
Take one of Willis/Basham (Lawson/Bowser if you prefer) with 72 or 76.

This would fill the last two positions of certain need and upgrade the incredible roster to the point that it shouldn't even be allowed..

Bowser certainly won't be available in the 3rd unfortunately (he's pretty much a first round lock at this point) and I doubt Willis either. Would love Davis/Basham though.

The mouths of the NFC South are watering right now, if Saints do go and get Butler that is some serious mismatches vs these division teams. If anyone should be going after Sherman, it should be the Saints since **** Sherman has size and won't get beat deep nearly as much as Butler. Remember folks, these WR's in the NFC South aren't some slap **** 6'5 WR, these guys are legit and while they are big, they also play even bigger.

Bowser certainly won't be available in the 3rd unfortunately (he's pretty much a first round lock at this point) and I doubt Willis either. Would love Davis/Basham though.

I hope people don't mind a little draft discussion here..

Bowser is all over the place on different boards (1-3). He's still raw and inconsistent and lacks strength. Q marks are never good sign for 1st round. Then again it only takes one team to be infatuated with his athletic ability and upside..

I won't be surprised if Reddick doesn't go in first round either. Most people will sober up in one point in time till next Thursday and ask themselves: what substantial evidence we have about him playing LB? Some drills and exhibition game.. Do we really want to risk 1st rounder on that?

And then FOs will look at their respective O-lines and the misery&cost of trying to get something urgently in FA - and they'll finally go for the boring guys..

I hope people don't mind a little draft discussion here..

Bowser is all over the place on different boards (1-3). He's still raw and inconsistent and lacks strength. Q marks are never good sign for 1st round. Then again it only takes one team to be infatuated with his athletic ability and upside..

I won't be surprised if Reddick doesn't go in first round either. Most people will sober up in one point in time till next Thursday and ask themselves: what substantial evidence we have about him playing LB? Some drills and exhibition game.. Do we really want to risk 1st rounder on that?

And then FOs will look at their respective O-lines and the misery&cost of trying to get something urgently in FA - and they'll finally go for the boring guys..

Both Reddick and Bowser's traits scream first round and everything I'm seeing in the last two weeks has Bowser, along with Watt, as first rounders. Reddick and Bowser as first rounders is something I'd put good money on.

That would be a heck of a trade for the Saints. Going from Cadet to Lewis as receiving RB/RB2 AND getting Butler...

Yeah, but there are TWO sides to every trade......otherwise it ain't no trade!

Something's comin' this a way also, Pa........

He could have signed a waiver.

Signed a waiver and what if he gets hurt? He gets zilch. That makes zero financial sense for him.

Since he signed the tender and if he gets hurt now at least he gets 4 million guaranteed.

So Butler watch continues. If the Saints don't sweeten the pot, I'm happy to keep Butler for 2017 and go hard after Lombardi #6.

As talented as Butler is, the fact is he is undersized and he will see Julio Jones (6'3), Mike Evans (6'5), and Kelvin Benjamin (6'5) 2 times each season. I'm not saying he won't improve the Saints, they are so bad he most definitely will but it's something to think about considering the price and the picks they would have to give up.

Did I miss the announcement that the Pats moved to the NFC South?

How will he face them each twice

Twice if he is traded to NO.

Funny how others are reporting that Butler will be there..

Daily Notebook: Tuesday Patriots News and Notes 4/18 - PatsFans.com

" Curran reports that he’s in the middle of spending time celebrating a birthday with his family, and he’s also expected to be back in Foxboro this week."

Back in Foxboro doesn't necessarily mean that he will participate in workouts. He had to come here to sign his tender anyway. I guess if he had a real agent that could have been done anywhere but I doubt his excuse for an agent has people who would come to NE, pick up the contract, bring it to Butler and then bring it back to NE.

Did I miss the announcement that the Pats moved to the NFC South?

How will he face them each twice

What are you talking about? He obviously would play them twice a season if the trade did happen. I'm just talking football, not everything posted on here needs to favor the Patriots, it's football talk and it is a real issue for the Saints if they did go and get him.

Never bought the idea that we were serious about trading Butler, we'll see if I'm right. Makes no sense to unload a key defensive player when you're going for the gold, especially not for goddamned draft picks. Is there any asset in this league more overrated than low firsts? BB couldn't "sell high" fast enough, and you think he's gonna turn around and buy high too? Not seeing it. He's gonna buy low and sell high, it's what he's always done. Buying picks in this draft for established in-his-prime top 10 cornerback talent is NOT buying low. Trading low firsts for premium wideouts that will make your elite but aging quarterback better than he already is is selling high though.

Trading from a position of strength to shore up other needs on the roster, or trading to switch up skillsets from a bad fit to a good fit in a given position, that's one thing. Swapping out a top 10 CB for draft picks is something you do when you're 3 years or more away from winning the Superbowl. We're trying to win the damn thing this year. Keep the guy and win with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes