PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Signs His Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in Foxboro doesn't necessarily mean that he will participate in workouts. He had to come here to sign his tender anyway. I guess if he had a real agent that could have been done anywhere but I doubt his excuse for an agent has people who would come to NE, pick up the contract, bring it to Butler and then bring it back to NE.

Butler received a huge raise this year to 4 million and will likely get another big hit next year. What did his agent do wrong?

There was an article indicating that Saints are holding their 2 1st rounders and would offer a 3rd rounder for Butler. Yes. Not even a 2nd rounder.

Is Butler worth a 1st round?

There was an article indicating that Saints are holding their 2 1st rounders and would offer a 3rd rounder for Butler. Yes. Not even a 2nd rounder.

LOL if the Saints offer is a 3rd rounder they can go fluff themselves.

We can keep Butler, win Superbowl #6 and look for a new corner in 2018.

I thought it was Taylor Gabriel with Butler (ont he bomb, it was), and Rowe had Julio (it was Rowe, in perfect position) when Ryan-Jones made that incredible play in the fourth).

They switched things up during the game.. Butler wasn't on just one player was my point.. The idea that Butler would be roasted time and again overlooks the fact that many of the best CBs have been under 6'.

LOL if the Saints offer is a 3rd rounder they can go fluff themselves.

We can keep Butler, win Superbowl #6 and look for a new corner in 2018.
Agreed - although I would have said the same about Collins before that trade so I am prepared for anything.

Butler received a huge raise this year to 4 million and will likely get another big hit next year. What did his agent do wrong?

I would have had him sign a 5 year 40 mill -15 mill SB last year. IMO BB would have taken Butler at 8 mill a year. by the end of the 17 season he would have had gotten 20 mill already "in the bank" Instead he let Butler play for 600,000 last year, 4 mill this year and most likley 14 mill next year under a tag. And then hit FA as a 29 year old if he managed to stay healthy in 16, 17 and 18. He is having Butler take too much risk, Butler is only going to get one deal in his career if he stays healthy.

****, there are still people who think he was going to bring in the 11th pick in the coming draft. He may/may not be worth a first rounder (I think he's right on the cusp, myself), but he should at least bring in a second rounder for sure.

****, there are still people who think he was going to bring in the 11th pick in the coming draft. He may/may not be worth a first rounder (I think he's right on the cusp, myself), but he should at least bring in a second rounder for sure.
People were delusional if they ever seriously thought Butler could yield #11. His value is not equal to the #11 pick.

Butler is a great player going into a contract year, ready for a payday. If picked right you can get a high ceiling player on a rookie contract.

Well if NO is offering a 3rd it's a no brainer, you keep Butler this year and get a 3rd comp pick when he leaves.
I would keep him too but it's no sure thing we'd get the comp pick, depending how many we lose and sign.

I would keep him too but it's no sure thing we'd get the comp pick, depending how many we lose and sign.
That's where Garoppolo comes in.

Kidding, kidding.

Not even a second round draft pick?

Anchorman 3: The Big Easy

"Go f*ck yourself, New Orleans!"

Last edited:

Have you been asleep since the superbowl ?

His agent screwed up his entire contract extension in NE. Butler reportedly wants top 10 CB money while in addition having that cheap, final RFA year ignored. Which is not how RFA contracts work and if his moron agent would actually know what he is doing he could have told Butler exactly that, instead of just doing what Butler wants. You don't pay agents big dollars so they do what you want but for them to guide you to the best possible scenario for you.

He would have gotten the "increase" with a pet rock being his agent because everything so far in his career didn't require negotiations.

I find it kind of funny that the Butler situation has evolved as it has. He has been viewed at different times as a player we HAD to pay and keep, and at other times, one we could easily lose and still be very good. A player who was well woth the 11th pick in the draft to one who (as I just read) is worth only a 3rd round pick.

The fact is that Butler wound up being EXACTLY where he should be given his situation. Players who are tagged with first round tenders do NOT get moved. IIRC it's never happened. So after all the strum and drang the whole great drama turned out to be "much ado about nothing".

There is now only one scenario that is left where Butler doesn't wind up playing for the Pats this fall. And that one takes 2 moves to accomplish. One part is the Pats trading him to the Saints for their pick at #32,. and the other is signing Jason McCourty to replace him. In other words, not likely.

So unless Garrapolo gets moved, the Pats continue to make moves like they intend to pretty much take this draft off, and just hopefully find a few guys that will develop down the road, but no one that would like have any impact this season.

At any rate, I'm sure the next week will offer up no shortage of extreme speculation and headlines that will go no where in the end. (though I still hold out hope that JG will wind up in Cleveland when the dust clears)

Have you been asleep since the superbowl ?

His agent screwed up his entire contract extension in NE. Butler reportedly wants top 10 CB money while in addition having that cheap, final RFA year ignored. Which is not how RFA contracts work and if his moron agent would actually know what he is doing he could have told Butler exactly that, instead of just doing what Butler wants. You don't pay agents big dollars so they do what you want but for them to guide you to the best possible scenario for you.

He would have gotten the "increase" with a pet rock being his agent because everything so far in his career didn't require negotiations.

You don't have a clue how much Butler was offered for an extension or for how long. Reports my ass.

It's kind of been fun to watch everyone going in circles over Butler without any facts whatsoever. And here he is right where some of us knew he'd be all along, with his tender signed and ready to play football.

There is now only one scenario that is left where Butler doesn't wind up playing for the Pats this fall. And that one takes 2 moves to accomplish. One part is the Pats trading him to the Saints for their pick at #32,. and the other is signing Jason McCourty to replace him.
Huh? Only one?
Jason McCourty or forget it? No other alternative exists? Like moving an existing Pats DB up the ladder? Like drafting a DB from a deep draft? Like signing released players over the summer? Like trading for a veteran anytime they see fit?
I guess BB had Jason McCourty in mind six weeks before he was released ....when NE signed Gilmore, spurned Butler's agent, and whispered with New Orleans.
Maybe it works out this way but I highly doubt your scenario is so conditionally interconnected.

Huh? Only one?
Jason McCourty or forget it? No other alternative exists? Like moving an existing Pats DB up the ladder? Like drafting a DB from a deep draft? Like signing released players over the summer? Like trading for a veteran anytime they see fit?
I guess BB had Jason McCourty in mind six weeks before he was released ....when NE signed Gilmore, spurned Butler's agent, and whispered with New Orleans.
Maybe it works out this way but I highly doubt your scenario is so conditionally interconnected.
That's the beauty of creating your own scenarios, you become like a mediot. You don't have any accountability and you get to create your own reality. ;)

Actually if I'm proven wrong, I will likely publically admit it (if only brielfly ;) ), unlike 95% of the mediots, who come down with collective amnesia after every error in judgement.

But getting back to the point. You are right, there are more scenarios that would fit a Butler trade. AND I'm very quitely optimistic about Cyrus becoming a quality NFL CB over the next few years. But IF Butler is to be traded, adding Jason McCourty is my favorite solution. Right up there with my Garrapalo trade for the #12, #52, and next year's 2nd. ;)

I could be way off base, but it seems like you can draw a line between events. Pats want a certain amount of capital from NO; NO doesn't want to pay. Jason McCourty becomes available; Pats soften their demands and NO starts listening. Butler signs his tender a couple days after McCourty is released, allowing him to be traded, and the Pats to re-stock their depth with McCourty right after.

All-in-all, the Pats are obviously a better team with Butler THIS year, but are a better team for the next few years with J-Mac on a 2-3 year deal plus, say, a second round pick.

It should not be forgotten that J-Mac will also not factor into comp pick formulations since he was cut by Tennessee, as opposed to being a UFA.

I would have had him sign a 5 year 40 mill -15 mill SB last year. IMO BB would have taken Butler at 8 mill a year. by the end of the 17 season he would have had gotten 20 mill already "in the bank" Instead he let Butler play for 600,000 last year, 4 mill this year and most likley 14 mill next year under a tag. And then hit FA as a 29 year old if he managed to stay healthy in 16, 17 and 18. He is having Butler take too much risk, Butler is only going to get one deal in his career if he stays healthy.

So basically you would have tacked on 3 years @12m/yr to his rookie + RFA years. Considering that Gilmore got 13m/yr a year later as URFA I think the better question is why would BB take the deal you offered?

So basically you would have tacked on 3 years @12m/yr to his rookie + RFA years. Considering that Gilmore got 13m/yr a year later as URFA I think the better question is why would BB take the deal you offered?

I think BB valued the cost certainty and I think gilmore only came about due to the uncertainty about Butler. I equate Butler to the Gronk and hernandes deals. Gilmore got more in guarantees than what Butler would have got overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back