PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Signs His Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be disappointed if we trade Butler and don't pick up Sherman. We face some good Qbs this season.

Yep. La Canfora is indicating both sides (Patriots, Saints) are playing hardball in terms of Butler's compensation.

Saints are pushing for 3rd rounder 2017 and something else in 2018.

Which side will give? 1 week left before the draft.

Yep. La Canfora is indicating both sides (Patriots, Saints) are playing hardball in terms of Butler's compensation.

The something else is a big deal. I'm good with a #3 this year if there's a significant something else in 2018. But not another mid round pick.

Better be at least a 2nd in 2018 to even consider this trade. No trade for anything less than that.

Better be at least a 2nd in 2018 to even consider this trade. No trade for anything less than that.
I would want their #1 or #2 & #3 next year (plus the #3 this year). If not I'm good with a cheap year of Butler.

I would want their #1 or #2 & #3 next year (plus the #3 this year). If not I'm good with a cheap year of Butler.
Don't you get the impression that Butler 2017 is just not happening. As much as we'd love to see Gilmore + Butler, I just feel like it's not a consideration.

If that's true then the Pats just need to keep him. At least that's what I hope will happen.

Don't you get the impression that Butler 2017 is just not happening. As much as we'd love to see Gilmore + Butler, I just feel like it's not a consideration.

I think Butler is staying. I've thought that from the start. I'll be unpleasantly surprised if they dump him now that he signed.

The bottom line is that the Pats can hold on to Butler for this season and in all likelihood get a third in the future. It does not make any sense for them to trade him for anything like a third. So it's likely they keep him. The problem for the Saints is that if he plays out his option with the Pats there is no certainty that he would sign with them next year as a free agent. If they had his rights they would at least have transitional or franchise rights to use.

The thought process is that the 2017 draft is deep with DB talent. The Saints do not have to (or is not desperate) trade for Butler. Which is why the rumor of low trade compensation is low.

I think the Patriots would like to get into the 1st and/or 2nd round of the draft. The question is how will they do this...

I think Butler is staying. I've thought that from the start. I'll be unpleasantly surprised if they dump him now that he signed.
I hope you're right - but my guess is that he plays for NO in 2017. And that BB gets picks we will grumble about. Just speculating that BB doesn't want to go w two alpha CBs. Gilmore, IMO, IS here to replace Butler, not compliment him.

Again, hoping Butler stays, but thinking he isn't. The fact Butler signed only allows for the trade. It doesn't guarantee he'll be suiting up for NE.

I hope you're right - but my guess is that he plays for NO in 2017. And that BB gets picks we will grumble about. Just speculating that BB doesn't want to go w two alpha CBs. Gilmore, IMO, IS here to replace Butler, not compliment him.

Again, hoping Butler stays, but thinking he isn't. The fact Butler signed only allows for the trade. It doesn't guarantee he'll be suiting up for NE.

IF Butler stays with NE, will Rowe be the slot CB? or will Butler be the slot CB?

Yes, they can trade him now, but he signed because he'd be foolish to do anything else.

I'm hoping that the Gilmore move was made to replace Ryan, who the Pats probably knew was gone.

I also don't think the draft picks that we could get for Butler would be worth taking a chance on the defense. We could have two rock solid DBs for well under 20mil.

Not to mention what if Gilmore isn't as good as everyone wants him to be and Butler is gone for a draft pick. We'd be up the creek without a paddle.

IF Butler stays with NE, will Rowe be the slot CB? or will Butler be the slot CB?

I don't think he stays. I think they go Gilmore & Rowe with Cyrus or Jones #2 in the slot. Again : I'm not "wishing it", I'm predicting it.

Let us not forget we got only got a 3rd for Collins. Don't be shocked if we get a bad return for Butler. It doesn't seem to bother Belichick getting low returns for guys we think deserve more. Remember Cassel ? We thought we'd get a 1st round pick for him, we only got a 2nd for him AND Vrabel. Jones, we got a 2nd and a bust Olineman.

A third this year and a midround next year is fair. Delusional to think theyd give up multiple high picks and sign him to an expensive contract. It's a cb rich draft and he isnt that good anyway.

After having read this whole thread, it appears you guys are as starved for info about this trade as we are down here. Since Butler signed the tender, both teams have been pretty tight-lipped. I have seen a bunch of speculation from the talking heads, but nothing of any real substance. As to LaConfora, he's as reliable as bargain bin toilet paper.

I think if there is a trade, it would probably be on draft day. If we satisfy our need for CB at #11 (it would be nice if Lattimore dropped), the trade is probably off. If not, then #32/#42 come into play. Just My 2 cents. See you guys in September if you decide to make a road trip.

A third this year and a midround next year is fair. Delusional to think theyd give up multiple high picks and sign him to an expensive contract. It's a cb rich draft and he isnt that good anyway.
Almost sure we'd keep him before doing that. This isn't Jones and his apparent drug issue or Collins who seemed to not want to play the defense. This is a really good player who I think Belichick genuinely likes. Not a dump situation.

If OFFER = 1st
Then TRADE
Else If OFFER = 2nd
Then TRADE
Else If OFFER = 3rd
Then KEEP
END

I see minimal probability that OFFER = 1st
I'd be surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3