PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Signs His Tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are Saints going to afford Butler anyways? Seems like a really dumb move for them.

Interesting notion considering the discussions in the Gillislee thread.

Just solely in terms of the Saints POV: I am not sure they can afford to let go of #12 or #32 + #42 given their holes on defense for Butler + RB.

I wish he hadn't signed until after the draft.
I think the deadline to sign the tender is before the draft so that really wasn't an option.

Edit: sorry, meant to say sign tender with another team.
This now gives the Pats the right to trade him before, during or after the draft. Or just hang tight and have an awesome secondary.

I think the deadline to sign the tender is before the draft so that really wasn't an option.

Nope he could have held out until June 15th.

Then the Patriots could have replaced the first round tender with another offer sheet that pays 110% of his 2016 pay. This way he could have had some control over trade locations. By signing now the Pats can send him wherever they want.

Disagree
Pats/Saints will wait several days in order to create the illusion that this deal was constructed only after the signed tender.
They don't have to. It's perfectly acceptable for the agent to have discussed parameters with both sides. In fact that is how it's done.

Just solely in terms of the Saints POV: I am not sure they can afford to let go of #12 or #32 + #42 given their holes on defense for Butler + RB.

I doubt we'd get that much for Lewis. Was thinking more along the lines of getting a slightly better pick than we give up for Gillislee - like the Saints' 5th rounder.

I coubt we'd get that much for Lewis. Was thinking more along the lines of getting a slightly better pick than we give up for Gillislee - like the Saints' 5th rounder.

From what I heard/read from the various beat writers (+Lombardi) the Pats apparently asked 32 + 42 for Butler. As usual this could be just leaked crap but I suppose we will know soon.

I'd be OK with trading Butler at this point IF we countered this with signing Jason McCourty. That would be a slight downgrade from Butler and perhaps a slight upgrade on Ryan. Either way adding McCourty to this CB group would still make it one of the best in the league, and certainly the deepest.

If Butler is staying, McCourty will wind up elsewhere. Hard to see a downside in either scenario, at least in 2017

Patriots have untill the draft to "use" saints 4 rounder, mayby thats a part of a trade.

How are Saints going to afford Butler anyways? Seems like a really dumb move for them.

Saints have done this before (Jairus Byrd is a recent example).

Jairus Byrd

They basically add a big signing bonus, but make the first year cap hit really low. So using Byrd as an example, his base salary is only $1.3M in the first year, but he gets $12.3M in year 1 upon signing. They gave him a $6M roster bonus, which they converted into a restructured signing bonus in year 2 to get further under the cap that year.

Of course, the cap isn't crap, and they had to carry him despite his injuries and ineffectiveness, then eventually ate $4.6M at the end. They couldn't do it earlier or else the dead money would have been $8M to $18.9M depending on when they wanted to.

Still, his cap hits the first two years were $3.5M and $5.5M, so they can be creative and find a way to pay Butler, but it might end up costing them down the line.

Last edited:
From what I heard/read from the various beat writers (+Lombardi) the Pats apparently asked 32 + 42 for Butler. As usual this could be just leaked crap but I suppose we will know soon.

Mike Loyko suggested upgrading 96 to 76 as the sweetener. I think 42 will be too much for NO but 72 and 76 is the sweet spot for quality prospects falling.

Another thing to consider is that this possible trade increases the chances of Jason McCourty ending up here.

The fact that he will be participating in voluntary workouts is a good thing, right? After all, if he was on the trade block you'd think the Pats would want to put him in a bubble as much as possible.

Isn't required to however.

The fact that he will be participating in voluntary workouts is a good thing, right? After all, if he was on the trade block you'd think the Pats would want to put him in a bubble as much as possible.

Teams in my experience only do that in the last 48 or so hours before a trade or if they know for sure he is going. Some guys workout and train right up to the time they are actually traded cause you never know if it will fall through.

They had Ryan Ramczyk in for a visit today, one of the few potential first rounders they've met with for a while. Just as a, maybe unrelated, aside. Also had Teez Tabor in for a visit. Not saying these things are related to a Butler trade but you could draw a line between the two if you looked hard enough.
love that name. reminds me of Teve Torbes.

Patriots have untill the draft to "use" saints 4 rounder, mayby thats a part of a trade.

Not sure where you got this. As soon as the Pats acquired the Saints' 4th, it was forfeit to the NFL with them returning the Seahawks 4th.. That has been talked about ad nauseum since it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes