SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Underrated
Julian Edelman doesn't tend to get the credit and respect he deserves around the league, but one former player took notice in a recent ESPN segment, putting him ahead of some notable names which created some controversy.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by nowayback, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +47,459
    How did that work out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. chasa

chasa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,477
    The pats only forced ONE punt. Thus why this is still being discussed MONTHS later. Butler played 100% of the punt return snaps, and 0% of the defensive snaps.

Listen if you think Butler shouldn't have started, fine I get that.

If you think butler shouldn't have played the majority of defensive snaps, Strange considering he played 98% up until the superbowl, but yeah sure he was sick.

But thinking it was the right call to have Butler play ZERO snaps on defense, while the defense got torn to shreds both via pass and via the run? You are out of your god damned mind if you think the call to give him ZERO snaps on defense was the correct one.

It's as simple as that. Butler should have played SOME of the defensive snaps.

That's my stance. It will NEVER change, short of BB or some player/coach/trainer coming forward and giving an actual, good reason, for why he played Zero snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27,973
    His coach determined he wasn’t prepared to play and he admitted he wasn’t.
    THAT is the reason. Always has been.
    Not sure why you think you need to search for a reason when one is stating you in the face.

I think the real issue here is that you are trying to argue that when a coach decides a player is unprepared, depending on how the game goes he should not care about that, and bill Belichick disagrees.

4. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,323
    Sure I can. BB is smarter than that but he wasn't that one important day. Also, I am done so go ahead and post your compulsive last word.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +66,996
    No one is asking you to change your stance.

What baffles me about the "BB screwed up" crowd is 9 months after they still want BB to play him even though Malcolm publicly stated he wasn't prepared for the game.

Do you think if BB knew Malcolm was a smidge prepared he would have played him?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,323
    Is this a joke? What else is Malcolm (who had to look for a new team) supposed to say? The great BB screwed me (and all my teammates and our loyal fans)? BB knew Malcolm was (way more than) a smidge prepared and DIDN'T play him, when his D was getting more torched than if it had been at an arsonists' convention. That is the whole point of everybody's ire. It's weak to act like Malcolm is some idiot off the street who hadn't played corner back in the NFL for 4 years, and in the 18 straight games beforehand for BB and therefore had no clue what was going on, so of course BB sat him for the whole game (rather than the 1st half, or even the first 3 quarters) while Rome burned. Perhaps your confusion stems from the difficulty of accepting that our great coach really blundered for no good reason in the biggest game of the year. Gronk and Brady seemed pissed. Why is it baffling that a lot of fans are too?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27,973
    Your anger is directed at the wrong person.
    Do you think if butler did a better job of preparing for the game he would have played? Of course he would have.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,477
    Malcolm publicly stated that he could have changed the outcome of the game.

He did play him, on punt returns, something Malcolm did ZERO times during the regular season.

What are you not understanding about how ****ing strange that stat is?

If BB didn't think butler was capable of playing, WHY IN THE **** WOULD HE LET HIM PLAY IN A ROLE HE HAD NO EXPERIENCE IN?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +66,996
    That quote came after MB inked his deal. Read the link I re:'d you.

I get that people are pissed, sad and upset. What I have a problem with is immediately jumping to the conclusion its all on BB when it isn't. Did his gameplan suck? All signs point to that and I have no problem with that criticism of the man. What I do have a problem with is if the same people who bash him, say the gameplan sucked are the same ones who are mad at not playing MB even though he admitted he wasn't ready is flawed.

Nope. No confusion. Malcolm admitted he wasn't ready. I attribute it to health and behind in preparations.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +66,996
    Of course Malcolm said he could have changed the game. I would not expect a great competitor like MB to say otherwise.

There is nothing strange to me about it. BB is behaving exactly as he has for 19 years. If a player is ready to play, he plays. If he isn't, he isn't.

From February to the end of July we didn't know why. When MB admitted he wasn't ready and prepared, that was consistent with what BB had historically done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,477
    Again, and ill say this slowly so that you can understand it B-U-T-L-E-R D-I-D P-L-A-Y. Butler was part of the punt return unit. If he wasn't ready to play why would BB put him in on punt returns when Butler had never been on the punt return team?

Maybe you need to get that in another way, here it is in sign language:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe you're blind, here it is in braille :
    ⠃⠥⠞⠇⠑⠗ ⠙⠊⠙ ⠏⠇⠁⠽

Let me know what part you can't seem to grasp, because your agrument of BB doesn't play players who are not ready, falls apart when BB puts that same player in on special teams punt returns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +66,996
    If you want to get snarky and talk to me like i'm in special needs, I'm done with you.

If you want to be an adult, we can continue.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,477
    It's hard to talk to you like an adult when you use faulty logic to drag on a discussion without moving the discussion forward, and when it's easily disproved, you don't even stop to think about what you are saying and instead continue to spread rhetoric which doesn't make any sense.

You say BB won't play players unless they are ready and that's why butler didn't play.

The fact of the matter is BUTLER DID play in a role he's not played, and if the defense hadn't been so historically bad, he may have had more chances to play on special teams.

So if BB only plays players who are ready, Butler MUST have been ready since BUTLER DID PLAY.

in addition you use quotes by butler that say he wasn't feeling well, and you take them as gospel, but then you take other quotes by butler that say he could have changed the outcome of the game, and you say that it's just bluster because "what else would he say".

If all you have to bring to the conversation are logical fallacies, then please, be done with me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +66,996
    Hold on. You actually think because Malcolm played exactly one special team snap is proof he was ready to play on defense?

Yes he did not play with the regular defense. He said he wasn't ready. Do you acknowledge he actually said that? From my PoV you don't believe it.

FYI- Malcolm has played in ST before.

Don't respond then.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. sb1

sb1 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,533
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,406
  17. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,477
    Just a friendly reminder as we saw on sunday, If we had even an average butler game in the superbowl and forced ONE punt we would have won.

instead butler saw ZERO defensive snaps, the eagles ran train on our ****ty third stringers, and the rest is history.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. neuronet

neuronet Homer Little PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,995
    Raise your hand if you don't miss this thread. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,468
    What's funny is that very recently (a week ago) I found an mp3 player of mine that had been lost for months. I started listening to what I had on there and there was a WEEI episode from right after the Super Bowl.

Still boggles my mind, but it was much easier listeneing to that episode now knowing we won the Super Bowl the next year.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,175
    Leading up to the Rams game, I pointed out to anyone I talked to that all of us remain very upset about what happened a year ago.

The Patriots players included. They did what they had to do. 2018 is obviously one of the greatest Pats teams ever. In terms of character and pride.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.