PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis next Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys i got a question: If Butler gets cut do you guys know if we get a comp pick? He is really bad i am afraid ...
They’d have to cut him this week to remove him from comp pick consideration, which isn’t going to happen.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but it's a pretty interesting supplement to the Butler not playing in the SB thing. From Boston Sports Journal:

• For those that cling to the notion that Bill Belichick didn’t have a legitimate reason to keep Butler out of the Super Bowl, he had his chance at the Eagles this year and allowed a perfect passer rating of 158.3 (7 receptions on 7 targets, 119 yards and a touchdown according to ProFootballFocus.com). He also missed two tackles (fifth-worse tackling grade on the Titans).

Which WR will do the honors?
Gordon.

I think Edelman could probably have his way as well but there is a familiarity there which could benefit Butler in that matchup.

Last edited:
Although he got paid, I kinda feel bad for Butler. I don't know what it is, but I don't remember seeing a guy fall from a rising star to being awful like him without an injury or other clear reason to cause it.

I'm happy for the kid. He got his payday and a starting job in the NFL. He also has a SB ring.

However, on Sunday I hope the Pats crush him like a bug. The same goes for Logan Ryan and Dion Lewis

The thing with Butler for me always was that he never was particularly physically gifted (relative to NFL level corners). All he achieved was through sheer force of will and hard work. Which on some level is sometimes more impressive than watching a highly talented player. Because Malcolm had to try hard on every snap and he was able to earn his way into the CB1 conversations in those 3 years with us.

The issue with this is that as soon as just a little bit of his physique goes (e.g. he jumps slightly lower, hip speed...) he will have immediately issues keeping this up because at his position you really can't outwork your body. If small decline happens to more gifted players they can still make up for it.

Now I am not claiming that BB/Caserio saw it coming and thats why they did what they did but I think it is obvious why they didn't give out the big contract but offered him a smaller one in the offseason of 2017.

It is a shame that Butler let all of this go to his head and had a pretty below average season last year.

I worry more about the Titans top rated DB.... Logan Ryan

Butler being out meant that Rowe took his spot. That relegated Chung to covering the slot (in Jones' absence) in critical moments in the game, which meant that Richards had to come in and take over a role that Chung was usually handling throughout the season. So yes, Butler being out had an effect on Richards' responsibilities in that game particularly when they were in man. Belichick opted not to use a player at a position that was already thin to begin with (so thin that he had to dress Butler) and had a safety who was allowed to walk to Philly in his first stint over coverage issues against WRs covering a shifty WR out of the slot. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for them.

41 points allowed.

L.
This is the main issue with it that people ignore. Even though Butler had a mediocre season, switching him out threw off a lot of other players and put them in bad position to execute.

I miss Dion and still root for him. Such an exciting player.

(I guess I should add “other than this week” but that just seems obvious and cliched.)

Agreed. Plus, his nickname is awesome. One of my personal favorites.

This is the main issue with it that people ignore. Even though Butler had a mediocre season, switching him out threw off a lot of other players and put them in bad position to execute.

What annoys many in this discussion is the motive in Butler's absence: (1) BB is a spiteful, vindictive dumbass (Patricia did not do this without him as he reviews and endorses the game plan) who sat one of his best players when in top top shape and thereby flushed the season and a championship when the defense folded or (2) Butler was somehow mentally or physically off for the biggest game of the season, and the team felt he was not the man for the job.

I doubt many believe a perfect Butler would not have helped the defense, given his past play. If the Pats win, then this is a minor story. The Pats lost, so without any data on Butler from the defense prior to that game, the argument rages on until time without end until Butler, BB or Patricia answer the question (newsflash - they probably won't do that). Those who believe a lesser coach could win 5 titles or more with Brady vs. those who believe BB is a great coach and would not flush a title to spite a player.

I agree further discussion is pointless unless and until we know why he sat out. If anyone has read/seen an actual factual recitation of those practice weeks (not some opinion or extrapolation from comments or insider insight), then I would love to read it. Otherwise, we have a Mensa group offering scientific conclusions without any data, with 100% certainty as to what exactly happened.

I like Butler. Great story, saved a Super Bowl. Glad he got paid. I will always be a fan and wish him the best. I like BB. I don't see us lamenting a loss after 5 rings without him.

I miss Dion and still root for him. Such an exciting player.

(I guess I should add “other than this week” but that just seems obvious and cliched.)
He was one of my finest students

Dion Lewis's mediocre production to start the season was more to do with the Titans trying to force Derrick Henry. Now that he's the clear number one and being integrated as a core piece of the offense, his production the past couple of weeks has more accurately reflected his talent.

Also, if Butler is the #3 CB I'm not sure why he'd be matched up against Gordon OR Edelman? Wouldn't it be Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back