PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Titans are truly a mixed bag of a team. This year they have been one of the elite defenses in the NFL. It's hard to find a defensive area they have been bad in.

They do give up a nice chunk of rushing yards per game but their rushing yard average surrendered isn't high. It looks more like teams run on them cause they are either scared to pass or cause the games are close and they are trying to control the clock more than it happens to be super effective.

The key rushing stat to me is they have surrendered only 3 rushing TDs. That means when they want to stop your running the ball they can. They stop the pass pretty effectively too. Be it yards or defensive passer rating they aren't shabby and have done well. A key stat here is they have only allowed 9 TDs in the air.

So if there D is so good why aren't they better? Their offense is garbage. If it wasn't for the Bills hogging the all the bad offensive headlines this would get more attention.

They run a lot but not very well and do it to cover for their piss poor passing attack. Outside of the talented but young Corey Davis no one is that concerning. Yes they can dump it off to Lewis for a few easy yards but that won't kill you. When Mariota is in the pocket you are more worried about him as a runner than a passer.

The Titans are truly a mixed bag of a team. This year they have been one of the elite defenses in the NFL. It's hard to find a defensive area they have been bad in.
14th in QB rating against.
14th in YPA against.
28th-29th in sacks.

Better against the run, 11th.

Statistically they're above average overall but certainly not elite.

Football Outsiders has their defense 19th (21st vs. pass, 17th vs run).

I haven't watched the Titans this year but I'm thinking elite is a poor choice of words.

All I want is a win. I am sure Vrabs, Dion, Butler and Ryan will all want to play and do their best in front of the Pats. They are going to fight and play their superbowl. Pats just need to win and rest over the bye. No Sony or Gronk this game either. Give them time to heal up for the final push.

14th in QB rating against.
14th in YPA against.
28th-29th in sacks.

Better against the run, 11th.

Statistically they're above average overall but certainly not elite.

Football Outsiders has their defense 19th (21st vs. pass, 17th vs run).

I haven't watched the Titans this year but I'm thinking elite is a poor choice of words.

Those stats are all nice but the key point is they haven't let teams into the end zone much. That is the most important stat.

They do give up some yard and they don't tend to get a lot of turnovers but they term teams away both in the ground and on the air pretty consistently.

They are 9th in YPG defensively and 3rd in PPG defensively. Yes you can find a few stats where they aren't great but those are the most important ones.

The only thing that is surprising is how bad they are in sacking the QB. I wonder how much pressure they get. The only other thing worth of note is they don't tend to get many turnovers but they don't turn the ball over much either.

While i find football outsiders to be a useful resource I will believe this D is average when i see the Patriots put up 31 or more on them. As long they don't let teams score points it is hard to say they are merely above average.

To be fair to your point; I will say perhaps the term 'elite' was a bit heavy handed. I'll downgrade it to very good and will stipulate there are some areas they aren't good in. However as a whole they have been very effective defensively and one of the best units this year.

Those stats are all nice but the key point is they haven't let teams into the end zone much. That is the most important stat.
Your point was they are elite. I disagree. I do agree they've been good at not allowing yards to turn into points but that one stat misses a lot of context (teams that don't score much tend to be overrated in points allowed as opponents don't have urgency to score).

I don't actually care about this discussion, I just wanted to point out that if they are elite the stats don't show it.

Whole lot of Pats fans seem to be making the trip to Tennessee. Anyone here going?

Tennessee points allowed per game

Miami- 27 points allowed (lost)
Houston- 17
Jacksonville- 6
Philadelphia- 23
Buffalo- 13 (lost)
Baltimore- 21 (lost)
San Diego- 20 (lost)
Dallas- TBD

I dont think im wrong when I say Pats are easily the best offense they'll have faced this season.

Stop the run, make Mariota best us with his arm. Thats Bills strategy!

Comments:

1.) The Titans beat the Jaguars....in Jacksonville....when we couldn't just saying...

2.) The Titans slow down games and opponents...they will be a tough out, IMO.

3.) They were an aggressive Vrabel call in London away from being 4-3 right now....

4.) Keep Gronk, Michel, and Mason out for this one...7-3 at the BYE isn't a bad thing...

5.) That being said...I want this W...because we still only have ONE conference loss and I'd like to keep it that way with the Steelers, Chargers, Chiefs, and Texans all 6-3 or better.

6.) Remaining schedule: @TEN, BYE, @NYJ, MIN, @Mia, @PIT, BUF, NYJ.

Of the 3 home games...I am 99% sure we will go 2-1 at worst.

Of the 4 remaining road games...I am 99% sure we will go 2-2 at worst.

So, we are looking at a 11-5 record at worst. I think that JUST might be enough for the 2nd BYE assuming Houston goes 5-2, the Steelers go 6-2, the Bengals go 6-2, and the Dolphins go 6-1.

The roadies to Miami and Pittsburgh will determine whether we have a BYE, HFA, or not.....IMO.

All I want is a win. I am sure Vrabs, Dion, Butler and Ryan will all want to play and do their best in front of the Pats. They are going to fight and play their superbowl. Pats just need to win and rest over the bye. No Sony or Gronk this game either. Give them time to heal up for the final push.

Agreed. Run CP

Agreed. Run CP
If Sony is ready, get him back on the field. Gronk I would prefer to keep him out until he is right (if).

They took it to Philly and played them tough to the bitter end. I would not expect them to roll over even if down by 2-scores late.

Whole lot of Pats fans seem to be making the trip to Tennessee. Anyone here going?

I live here, really wanted to take my daughter to her first Pats and Football game, but the Titans season tickets holders are selling them for BANK to you all coming down. I didn’t stand a chance, lol. I still have a line on a ticket with some buddies....nose bleed section though.
For those of you coming down, it’s definitely a party town now. 2nd Avenue and Broadway. West end and demonbruen street too, get your livers ready.

Mariota has literally thrown 3 TDs this season. 8-2.
The gap between QBs in this game is vast. The Titans will also have a short week. Who knows if everyone will be available.

But, I’m just always apprehensive when it comes to former BB guys... Matty this season, McDaniels in Denver, Mangini with the NYJ. I don’t think it’ll happen Sunday, but it’s happened enough times for me to know there is no sure thing.

Football players play football, if Michel and Gronkowski are healthy, they play. Take nothing for granted. If they don't show up 100% they will lose a valuable AFC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots