PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes will never be better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady just went to a team that had the worst winning percentage of all four major sports, hadn't made the postseason in thirteen years, and finished 7-9 last year, and 5-11 in each of the two preceeding seasons. Bruce Arians was widely panned almost all season as being the reason the team will always be a pretender.

How about Mahomes? Hmmm...let's see. He took over a Chiefs team in 2018 with a head coach sporting one of the best winning percentages and best reputations of the modern era, though his quarterbacks were Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith. Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs disaster in 2012 and had the following records under Alex Smith: 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6. Smith, an average QB with big limitations by all accounts, also scored 40+ points on the Patriots in 2014 and 2017.

But yes, it was all about Bruce Arians and the Bucs being known for greatness and giving a quarterback a huge advantage, wheras Mahomes is the reason that the incompetent buffoon Andy Reid even has a job.
Are you saying narratives sometimes don't mirror reality? Sheesh...I can't believe it.

Picking my way through some sludge on chiefsplanet and found some good ones...

“Also this media manufactured "GOAT conversation" is also built on the underlying assumption that Brady is actually the "GOAT" to begin with. Nothing in the statistics, other than his team success, supports that argument. Does Bill Russell get to be considered greater than Michael Jordan because he won 6 more titles than him? And if not, why not?”

Can you spot the error?

Another post describing what it would take to equal Brady...

“A 20-0 season puts him there, too. Unlikely, but it was always just as unlikely that Mahomes had a shot for 6. What's fun is that Mahomes has the ability that if we do get the right team, it isn't impossible (and fun to dream).”

Can you spot the error?

Mahomes was a warrior yesterday, playing behind a patchwork line on a bum foot (that I believe will need surgery during the offseason). He was running for his life most of the time against a relentless pass rush and only took off on less than a handful of designed runs. It's amazing that he only threw two picks and was able to walk off the field on his own power.

He'll be back in the SB. Never as good as Brady, but he'll give Brees and Ben and Montana and whoever else you want to put on that list a run for their money to be considered the second best to Brady.

I agree 100% that Mahomes will never be as good as Brady, but what galls me is that all it will take the passage of some time, then maybe he wins an MVP or Lombardi (or both) and the usual mediots will go back to talking about him as if he was.

Just think about it.... going into the playoffs, some media morons were equating Rodgers (1 Championship) to Brady (6 Championships). Brady had to beat Rodgers to make those idiots shut up, but they just quickly morphed into equating Mahomes (1 championship) with Brady (6 championships).

And let's be honest.... if KC won yesterday, making it 6 to 2, there would be mediots out here right now at this very moment proclaiming Mahomes the greatest.
Chris Sims maintains it

Mahomes needs to mature a little more also when it comes to his reads. He had guys open but he was always looking for the big play. Granted the pressure didn't help but he could've checked to a run or throw to the flat multiple times. He needs to be careful too eventually those hits take their toll.

Picking my way through some sludge on chiefsplanet and found some good ones...

“Also this media manufactured "GOAT conversation" is also built on the underlying assumption that Brady is actually the "GOAT" to begin with. Nothing in the statistics, other than his team success, supports that argument. Does Bill Russell get to be considered greater than Michael Jordan because he won 6 more titles than him? And if not, why not?”

Can you spot the error?

Another post describing what it would take to equal Brady...

“A 20-0 season puts him there, too. Unlikely, but it was always just as unlikely that Mahomes had a shot for 6. What's fun is that Mahomes has the ability that if we do get the right team, it isn't impossible (and fun to dream).”

Can you spot the error?
20-0 would require two teams to be 16-0 in the same conference, so one of them ends up as the second seed and needs to play on WC weekend.

Mahomes has some magical skills. His ability to throw out-of-whack and off-balance is just freakish.

But if he is to have any hope of catching Tom, he'll have to learn to play the sort of simple, intelligent, calculated game Tom plays in every critical game, including most Super Bowls, including this one, and playoff games. It's better to succeed at the simple thing than it is sporadically to fail (or sporadically to succeed) at the grand, occasional gesture. He might wind up the next TB12, but he might also end as the next Cordell the Footnote Stewart.

Mahomes is the second QB that Brady has stopped from winning two in a row (Wilson). If you include Warner, who was trying to win two out of three ("a dynasty is born tonight" :D), that's three QB balloons that Brady has popped.

I am so feckin glad that this smug, pompous, entitled, jumpy punk bastard didn't win another...The worship & fawning from the complicit media would've been too nauseating...He shouldn't have won last year either...

I would argue that Mahomes game does not lend itself to longevity as much as Toms... Not to say he is not a GREAT QB, but how well is he going to be able to twist, dodge, side-arm etc.. when he is 43 years old? I also think his game lines him up for big hits, as you saw this offseason.

Chiefs may have the least likeable group of stars I've ever seen in Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce - woof.

I agree 100% that Mahomes will never be as good as Brady, but what galls me is that all it will take the passage of some time, then maybe he wins an MVP or Lombardi (or both) and the usual mediots will go back to talking about him as if he was.

Just think about it.... going into the playoffs, some media morons were equating Rodgers (1 Championship) to Brady (6 Championships). Brady had to beat Rodgers to make those idiots shut up, but they just quickly morphed into equating Mahomes (1 championship) with Brady (6 championships).

And let's be honest.... if KC won yesterday, making it 6 to 2, there would be mediots out here right now at this very moment proclaiming Mahomes the greatest.
I hate to pat myself on the back, but.... well, I'm going to past myself on the back. Even after yesterday, ESPN is proclaiming Mahomes' quest to top Brady is put "on hold." The message here is that it will happen, it has just been set back a little. I am not making this up:

1612821969165.png

Here's an interesting thing. My wife, who watches essentially zero football, managed to diagnose the key to winning football games by herself from first principles. 'It helps if the QB is tall, and doesn't move around much but stands back and surveys the field. If you're running around with your hair on fire like that other guy, you're going miss things downfield. And then you have to be able to protect the QB so he can stand back and diagnose things.' And there you have it.

This is what I thought would happen if KC lost. All the talk about how Mahomes is so good that he doesn't need an offensive line is now complaining about the offensive line and mostly absolving Mahomes. Just to be clear, I don't put this entire loss on Mahomes. He wasn't 100% and his line was banged up. But he also played badly. He missed several throws and refused to take the underneath options enough.

The Bucs had a simply game plan. Take Jill away and the deep shot, beat us with something else. Mahomes didn't adapt, and neither did Reid. I know Reid is going through some **** right now, but that was a horribly called game with very few surprises. They didn't have any trick and few specially designed plays ready. I think their plan was to lean on their talent and that bit them is the ass.

Would Brady have won with that offensive line? Probably not, but he would have got the ball out fast and worked around Hill getting taken away. He also would have at least scored one touchdown. The fact is Mahomes came in against a 41 and 43 year old Brady as the favorite TWICE in the playoffs and lost. There is no excuse for that. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.
Sure there is. Brady is better.

Here's an interesting thing. My wife, who watches essentially zero football, managed to diagnose the key to winning football games by herself from first principles. 'It helps if the QB is tall, and doesn't move around much but stands back and surveys the field. If you're running around with your hair on fire like that other guy, you're going miss things downfield. And then you have to be able to protect the QB so he can stand back and diagnose things.' And there you have it.
Shes not wrong

Tampa set the edge and the Chiefs had no response. It was amazing to watch. They should have run more vs the 2 deep safeties like Tampa did when they played the Saints. They were not patient at all.

In terms of Mahomes, one could argue he should have zero rings if Jimmy did not choke so bad last year. His 2 SBs have been the worst games of his career.

Brady took 2 rings off his finger. I don't ever see him catching Brady and I doubt he has a long prime with his style of play. That type of loss in a SB is bone crushing to an org that figured it would float to it's second ring.
They weren't going to get anywhere running against those TB tackles.

We dont have a crystal ball. We dont know how his career will pan out. Hes a heck of a player but his contract now becomes an issue. I like him as a player and hes more than likely not reaching Tom's heights now. I do appreciate him and his audacity.

I understand the argument to be made that Brady is still « better than Mahomes now ». I’d disagree. The historical/overall is unreachable now. But, I’d venture that today’s Mahomes is indeed better than today’s Brady. I mean, we have Prime Mahomes atm, and he’s been nothing short of brilliant since winning the starter’s role.

Last night, Brady was indeed better, but when you consider the tremendous job of supporting cast VS the craptacular performance of Mahomes’ teammates...

The most amazing part of it all ? That a solid and well reasoned argument for 43 year old Brady > prime Mahomes is even possible !
He didn't have a better regular season and he didn't have a better SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots