PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes will never be better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s Brady on top of the mountain all by himself.
View attachment 30283

Here’s Mahomes trying to climb the mountain to join Brady with all the pressure coming for him.
View attachment 30284

Here’s Mahomes being thrown off that mountain.
View attachment 30285

Here’s Brady today still all by himself with even longer horns.
View attachment 30286
Um...you might want to change that second picture. The goat goes with him and plunges to certain death while the eagle flies away.

Picking my way through some sludge on chiefsplanet and found some good ones...

“Also this media manufactured "GOAT conversation" is also built on the underlying assumption that Brady is actually the "GOAT" to begin with. Nothing in the statistics, other than his team success, supports that argument. Does Bill Russell get to be considered greater than Michael Jordan because he won 6 more titles than him? And if not, why not?”

Can you spot the error?

Another post describing what it would take to equal Brady...

“A 20-0 season puts him there, too. Unlikely, but it was always just as unlikely that Mahomes had a shot for 6. What's fun is that Mahomes has the ability that if we do get the right team, it isn't impossible (and fun to dream).”

Can you spot the error?
Re: Russell, absolutely.

He didn't have a better regular season and he didn't have a better SB.
I think he DID have a better regular season. Mahomes lead his team to 14-2 and was very consistant throughout. Brady was up and down : fabulous at times (inflating his stats) and other times less impressive... it’s not a knock on Brady, who had a great year. But I contend Mahomes was better.

The only way Mahomes can pass Brady now is if 1) Brady retires right now and 2) Mahomes wins the next 7 Super Bowls. Not happening. It's not unreasonable to think Brady could win another Super Bowl as well. Next season Tampa Bay is going to be the #2 seed at worst.

I think he DID have a better regular season. Mahomes lead his team to 14-2 and was very consistant throughout. Brady was up and down : fabulous at times (inflating his stats) and other times less impressive... it’s not a knock on Brady, who had a great year. But I contend Mahomes was better.
Eh. Mahomes had at least a few underwhelming games.

Tom would have gotten his ass kicked behind that crap o-line. Would have been 07 all over again.

I find this ironic, because the reason why Brady got his ass kicked to the degree of just 14 points by the Giants was because he (and McDaniels) spent 3 & 1/2 quarters looking deep to Moss. So, if your o-line is struggling, then it pretty much goes without saying that the deep ball isn't going to happen & you need to emphasize the quick passing game. And no, this isn't an automatic solution to the issue, but at least it's not stupid football.

The Chiefs played stupid football. They didn't even attempt to work the quick passing game and Mahomes was a part of this issue, same as Brady in 07.

Mahomes won't reach Brady levels. Simple as that. But he can still be a top 5 QB when it's all said and done.

But for what it's worth, he took responsibility for his play. Was a good loser. Faced the music gracefully.

This is what I thought would happen if KC lost. All the talk about how Mahomes is so good that he doesn't need an offensive line is now complaining about the offensive line and mostly absolving Mahomes. Just to be clear, I don't put this entire loss on Mahomes. He wasn't 100% and his line was banged up. But he also played badly. He missed several throws and refused to take the underneath options enough.

The Bucs had a simply game plan. Take Jill away and the deep shot, beat us with something else. Mahomes didn't adapt, and neither did Reid. I know Reid is going through some **** right now, but that was a horribly called game with very few surprises. They didn't have any trick and few specially designed plays ready. I think their plan was to lean on their talent and that bit them is the ass.

Would Brady have won with that offensive line? Probably not, but he would have got the ball out fast and worked around Hill getting taken away. He also would have at least scored one touchdown. The fact is Mahomes came in against a 41 and 43 year old Brady as the favorite TWICE in the playoffs and lost. There is no excuse for that. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.
The problem for Mahomes was that even when he had time to pass he took off and ran instead of staying in the pocket. In spite of his success I think he's still too much of a runner and not enough of a pocket passer, and that's still what's required in the NYFL if receivers aren't wide open.

I saw a few instances where Mahomes ran to the outside and threw a pass that was off target enough to force a receiver to make a tougher catch. One was a pass to Kelce that he had to turn back for that went off his hands. Another was the heave to the back corner of the end zone that I believe was tipped by the defender but is being hailed as a great pass. And another was one that went off a WR's face mask that I think was also tipped but called a drop. Any of those could have easily been an INT.

Mahomes won't reach Brady levels. Simple as that. But he can still be a top 5 QB when it's all said and done.

But for what it's worth, he took responsibility for his play. Was a good loser. Faced the music gracefully.
I agree. He just has to say healthy enough to last.

The problem for Mahomes was that even when he had time to pass he took off and ran instead of staying in the pocket. In spite of his success I think he's still too much of a runner and not enough of a pocket passer, and that's still what's required in the NYFL if receivers aren't wide open.

Out of curiousity- how much time did 497 yards of running around to pass take off the clock that could have been used in better ways?

I saw a few instances where Mahomes ran to the outside and threw a pass that was off target enough to force a receiver to make a tougher catch. One was a pass to Kelce that he had to turn back for that went off his hands. Another was the heave to the back corner of the end zone that I believe was tipped by the defender but is being hailed as a great pass. And another was one that went off a WR's face mask that I think was also tipped but called a drop. Any of those could have easily been an INT.
It's the curse of the ultra athletic quarterback. I've argued many times that what makes Brady the Greatest is that he is just unathletic enough to have had to develop what God given gifts he has. Especially is his passion and drive to always improve. I hope Mahomes doesn't succumb to that curse because I really like him and he can be special in the league for a long time if he doesn't get hurt

The only way Mahomes can pass Brady now is if 1) Brady retires right now and 2) Mahomes wins the next 7 Super Bowls. Not happening. It's not unreasonable to think Brady could win another Super Bowl as well. Next season Tampa Bay is going to be the #2 seed at worst.
I don't know. A 3peat would be impressive and would likely rocket him to #2 ever. Won't happen though.

I don't know. A 3peat would be impressive and would likely rocket him to #2 ever. Won't happen though.

I think 3 is a good over/under total on Mahomes career championships.

I’ve been a believer for years that Peyton Manning’s 2003/04 rule change lobbying actually hurt his legacy. The easier you make it for a QB to succeed, the less valuable the really elite guys are. In the postseason, they’re often going up someone playing just as well or even better.

Mahomes will have to deal with some really good rivals, no doubt. And he just missed a huge opportunity for a SB before walking into the 500M contract that will make things progressively harder.

But, hey, normally the idea that a guy might win 2-3 championships would be wonderful. The media has made it seem like Tom Brady’s path isn’t an outlier of an outlier and that Mahomes should be staying on pace for 7 titles. Pretty ridiculous.

Tony Romo sounded like a fool talking about 8 championships and more of a fool when he compared Mahomes to Magnus Carlssen. There have been a lot of Magnus Carlssen’s that failed to become Magnus Carlssen.

Remember Chris Collingsworth in SB49...Russell Wilson told me he wants to win 6. Momentum ends quickly.

Guys, Romo almost perfectly summarized this issue tonight; Mahomes will now have to win *8 SBs* if he wants to pass Brady. Eight. Brady now has the SB tie breaker. Just think about how unattainable that goal is for Mahomes.
Sure but what killed me about that bit was Romo came across as if it was a given that Mahomes will be in, and win, multiple Super Bowls.

Is Mahomes awesome? You bet. I was really impressed by him, he put it all on the line out there, he's impossible not to enjoy if you can put rooting interest aside.

Is Mahomes better than Rodgers and Brees? IDK, I'm not angry if you want to say yes but he needs to prove it for several more years before I'd agree.

In a league where, unless I'm remembering wrong, guys like Rodgers and Brees have been to 1 SB *each* to just talk casually about reaching several more SBs as if it is a given is unbelievably goofy.

I think 3 is a good over/under total on Mahomes career championships.

I’ve been a believer for years that Peyton Manning’s 2003/04 rule change lobbying actually hurt his legacy. The easier you make it for a QB to succeed, the less valuable the really elite guys are. In the postseason, they’re often going up someone playing just as well or even better.

Mahomes will have to deal with some really good rivals, no doubt. And he just missed a huge opportunity for a SB before walking into the 500M contract that will make things progressively harder.

But, hey, normally the idea that a guy might win 2-3 championships would be wonderful. The media has made it seem like Tom Brady’s path isn’t an outlier of an outlier and that Mahomes should be staying on pace for 7 titles. Pretty ridiculous.

Tony Romo sounded like a fool talking about 8 championships and more of a fool when he compared Mahomes to Magnus Carlssen. There have been a lot of Magnus Carlssen’s that failed to become Magnus Carlssen.

Remember Chris Collingsworth in SB49...Russell Wilson told me he wants to win 6. Momentum ends quickly.

Right now I have him at 3 as he is the best I've seen since Brady. Better than Manning, Rodgers, Brees and co. I might still take Montana and Staubach over him along with Brady, but time will tell.

The main issue with Mahomes is that after your rookie deal is up it gets so much harder, particularly if your organization has to draft high year after year. It's interesting that when it comes to Manning Rodgers an Brees, they all won either after joining a new team or when they were cheap. Once the team was established and the top picks dried up they all had a much harder time. Only Manning was able to win after being on a team for more than 5 years. Thinking back now, that is a nice accomplishment. He was carried to it to a degree though, which is probably a credit to the Colt's GM.

Ben also won both his in his first 5 years when he was still being paid well below his value. I'd be curious to see how many QBs besides Brady/Manning won after staying with the same team for a while in the cap era, particularly when they consistently drafted outside the top 10 picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes